Determining if a System is Time-Invariant and/or Linear

In summary, the system is time-invariant if the output is the same regardless of the delay between the input and output, and it islinear.
papasmurf

Homework Statement

For each of the following systems, determine whether or not the system is Time-Invariant, Linear, and causal.

a.) y[n] = x[n]cos(0.2*pi*n)
there are more but if I can figure this out I should be able to get the others

Homework Equations

Time Invariant ---> if x[n] produces y[n] then x[n - d] produces y[n - d]
Linear ---> if x1[n] produces y1[n] and x2[n] produces y2[n], then x[n] = ax1[n] + bx2[n] produces y[n]=ay1[n] + by2[n]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am able to prove that y[n] = x[n]cos(0.2*pi*n) is linear by saying
let x[n] = ax1[n] + bx2[n]
then y[n] = (ax1[n] + bx2[n])cos(0.2*pi*n) = ax1[n]cos(0.2*pi*n) + bx2[n]cos(0.2*pi*n)
so y[n] = ay1[n] + by2[n] proving that it is linear

I am not able to prove, at this point, that y[n] is either time-invariant or not.
All I have is this:
let g[n] = x[n - d]
then y[n - d] = g[n]cos(0.2*pi*n) = x[n - d]cos(0.2*pi*n), so it is time-invariant?
This doesn't seem right though for whatever reason.

Physics news on Phys.org
The system is time invariant if it gives the same output regardless of whether a delay is made to the input signal, or to the output signal.
So, given
y[n] = x[n]cos(0.2*pi*n)
If the output signal is delayed,
y[n-d] = x[n-d]cos(0.2*pi*(n-d))
However, if the delay was made to the input signal, before inputing it into the system ... Can you take it from here?

Im following you until you talk about making the delay prior to inputting the signal.

Let me see if I am understanding. It looks to me like, unless you pick a d that delays it by 2*pi*k where k is an interger, it won't produce the same output?

1. What is time-invariance and why is it important to determine in a system?

Time-invariance is the property of a system where its output remains unchanged when the input is shifted in time. It is important to determine in a system because it allows for better understanding and prediction of the system's behavior over time.

2. How can we determine if a system is time-invariant?

A system is considered time-invariant if its output remains unchanged when the input is shifted in time. This can be tested by comparing the output of the system with the input shifted in time. If the output is the same, the system is time-invariant.

3. What does it mean for a system to be linear and why is it important?

A system is considered linear if it follows the principles of superposition and scaling, meaning that the output is directly proportional to the input. It is important to determine if a system is linear because it allows for easier analysis and prediction of the system's behavior.

4. How can we determine if a system is linear?

A system is considered linear if it follows the principles of superposition and scaling. This can be tested by comparing the output of the system with the input multiplied by a constant. If the output is also multiplied by the same constant, the system is linear.

5. What are some applications of determining if a system is time-invariant and/or linear?

Determining if a system is time-invariant and/or linear is important in many fields, such as signal processing, control systems, and communication systems. It allows for better understanding and analysis of the system, which can lead to improved performance and efficiency.