Finding Impulse And Frequency Responses

In summary, the conversation discusses a LTI system defined by a difference equation. The impulse and frequency responses of the system are determined using the DTFT and inverse DTFT. The impulse response is found to be {-2, 4, -2} and the frequency response is given by -2+4e^(-jω)-2e^(-2jω). The process of finding the impulse response by taking the inverse DTFT of the frequency response is discussed, along with helpful hints and relationships to simplify the integrals.
Captain1024

Homework Statement

Consider a LTI system defined by the following difference equation: ##\mathrm{y}[n]=-2x[n]+4x[n-1]-2x[n-2]##
a) Determine the impulse response of the system
b) Determine the frequency response of the system

Homework Equations

DTFT: ##\mathrm{x}[n]=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{\pi}^{-\pi} \mathrm{X}(e^{j\omega})e^{j\omega n} d\omega \ \longleftrightarrow \ \mathrm{X}(e^{j\omega})=\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} \mathrm{x}[n]e^{-j\omega n}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by finding the frequency response:
##\mathrm{Y}(e^{j\omega})=-2\mathrm{X}(e^{j\omega})+4e^{-j\omega}\mathrm{X}(e^{j\omega})-2e^{-2j\omega}\mathrm{X}(e^{j\omega})##
##=\mathrm{X}(e^{j\omega})(-2+4e^{-j\omega}-2e^{-2j\omega})##
Frequency response ##\mathrm{H}(e^{j\omega})=-2+4e^{-j\omega}-2e^{-2j\omega}##

My work on impulse response:
##\mathrm{h}[n]=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}(-2+4e^{-j\omega}-2e^{-2j\omega})e^{j\omega n}d\omega##
##=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}-2e^{j\omega n}+4e^{-j\omega}e^{j\omega n}-2e^{-2j\omega}e^{j\omega n}d\omega##
##=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}-2e^{j\omega n}+4e^{j\omega (n-1)}-2e^{j\omega (n-2)}d\omega##

I believe the answer is ##\mathrm{h}[n]=\{-2, 4, -2\}##. Am i overthinking how to arrive at the answer or am I on the right track?

-Captain1024

Physics news on Phys.org
Captain1024 said:

Homework Statement

Consider a LTI system defined by the following difference equation: ##\mathrm{y}[n]=-2x[n]+4x[n-1]-2x[n-2]##
a) Determine the impulse response of the system
b) Determine the frequency response of the system

Homework Equations

DTFT: ##\mathrm{x}[n]=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{\pi}^{-\pi} \mathrm{X}(e^{j\omega})e^{j\omega n} d\omega \ \longleftrightarrow \ \mathrm{X}(e^{j\omega})=\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} \mathrm{x}[n]e^{-j\omega n}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by finding the frequency response:
##\mathrm{Y}(e^{j\omega})=-2\mathrm{X}(e^{j\omega})+4e^{-j\omega}\mathrm{X}(e^{j\omega})-2e^{-2j\omega}\mathrm{X}(e^{j\omega})##
##=\mathrm{X}(e^{j\omega})(-2+4e^{-j\omega}-2e^{-2j\omega})##
Frequency response ##\mathrm{H}(e^{j\omega})=-2+4e^{-j\omega}-2e^{-2j\omega}##

My work on impulse response:
##\mathrm{h}[n]=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}(-2+4e^{-j\omega}-2e^{-2j\omega})e^{j\omega n}d\omega##
##=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}-2e^{j\omega n}+4e^{-j\omega}e^{j\omega n}-2e^{-2j\omega}e^{j\omega n}d\omega##
##=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}-2e^{j\omega n}+4e^{j\omega (n-1)}-2e^{j\omega (n-2)}d\omega##

I believe the answer is ##\mathrm{h}[n]=\{-2, 4, -2\}##. Am i overthinking how to arrive at the answer or am I on the right track?

-Captain1024
Yes, I believe you are correct. :smile:

Note: It's been awhile since I've done this. That said, your answers seem to be correct, as far as I can tell.

Regarding the impulse response: It's exceedingly easy to find the impulse response of a finite impulse response (FIR) filter. You merely send an impulse through and record what [itex] y [/itex] is at each offset. I assume that is how you obtained your result of [itex] \mathrm{h}[n]=\{-2, 4, -2\} [/itex], which is correct.

You could also find the impulse response by taking the inverse DTFT of the frequency response. You've already started that approach. That method is a bit tricky (and perhaps unnecessary since there are easier ways to do it), but is certainly possible.

It's a fun idea to do that at least once, if for no other reason to see how the math works out, and even to see where that [itex] \frac{1}{2 \pi} [/itex] comes from in the inverse-DTFT formula.

Here are some hints to help you evaluate that integral, and obtain the impulse response by taking the inverse-DTFT of the frequency response:
  • Each term will be 0 for all values of n expect for a single value of n, which is specific to that term.
  • That particular value of n will result in a 0 in the numerator, and also a 0 in the denominator, resulting in an undefined number.
  • You can find what that number is by using L'Hôpital's[/PLAIN] rule.
  • And since that value is specific to a specific value of n, you can tack on a [itex] \delta[n - \nu] [/itex] on that term, where [itex] \nu [/itex] is a specific number 0, 1, 2, 3, ... etc., specific to that particular term. [Edit: In other words, you'll be tacking on a [itex] \delta[n] [/itex], [itex] \delta[n - 1] [/itex], or [itex] \delta[n - 2] [/itex], etc., on each term.]
  • You might find the following relationships useful: [itex] \frac{d}{dn}\{ (-1)^n \} = j \pi (-1)^n [/itex] and [itex] \frac{d}{dn} \{ (-1)^{-n} \} = - j \pi (-1)^{-n} [/itex]
[Edit: at least that's the way I did it.]

[Another edit: it also may be useful to recognize that [itex] e^{j \pi n} = (-1)^n [/itex], where [itex] n [/itex] = ... -3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3, ...]

[Still another edit: Rather than converting the exponentionals to the form of [itex] (-1)^n [/itex] you might instead prefer to take a different approach by recognizing that [itex] \frac{e^{j \pi n} - e^{-j \pi n}}{2 j} = \sin(\pi n) [/itex]. This latter approach is perhaps technically better. (It's more rigorous, and doesn't require that n be an integer.)]

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Captain1024

1. What is impulse response and frequency response?

Impulse response is the output of a system when an impulse input is applied, while frequency response is the relationship between the input and output of a system at different frequencies.

2. How do you find the impulse response of a system?

The impulse response can be found by applying an impulse input to the system and measuring the output. This can be done experimentally or by using mathematical models.

3. Can the impulse response of a system change over time?

Yes, the impulse response can change over time if the system is not linear or time-invariant.

4. What is the significance of finding a system's frequency response?

The frequency response helps in understanding how a system responds to different frequencies. It is crucial in analyzing and designing systems for various applications, such as in signal processing and control systems.

5. Is there a difference between the impulse response and step response of a system?

Yes, the impulse response shows the system's output when an impulse input is applied, while the step response shows the output when a step input is applied. The step response can be obtained by integrating the impulse response.