Determining maximum and minimum points of a projected circle

In summary, this problem is about finding a function that when integrated over a range of x values yields a maximum.
Pushoam

Homework Statement

upload_2018-6-7_15-2-52.png
upload_2018-6-7_16-27-33.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem belongs to the topic "calculus of variation ". The fundamental problem of “calculus of variation” is to find a function y(x) such that the integral ## I = \int_{x_i }^{ x_f} \phi (y’, y, x) ~d x ## is extremum, where ## \phi (y', y, x) ## is a functional. Then, I have to use Euler - Lagrange Equation to find out y(x).

Here, I am not able to formulate the problem using the calculus of variation technique.

Another approach is to find out the function expressing the circle in ## \phi ## - plane, i.e. f( ##\phi ## , y,x) and then use df = 0 to find out the points of maximum and minimum. Then I don’t know how to find out the function f?

Is this correct till now?

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-7_15-2-52.png
    upload_2018-6-7_15-2-52.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 712
  • upload_2018-6-7_16-27-33.png
    upload_2018-6-7_16-27-33.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 797
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what a maximum point is (or a minimum point). But if you have to find the points where ##\Phi## is at an extremum, then I doubt the need for Euler. Lagrange (actually, his multipliers method) can do it on his own :wink:

Last edited:
Likes Pushoam
Pushoam said:
1. Th(ue problem statement, all variables and given/known data
View attachment 226690View attachment 226695

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem belongs to the topic "calculus of variation ". The fundamental problem of “calculus of variation” is to find a function y(x) such that the integral ## I = \int_{x_i }^{ x_f} \phi (y’, y, x) ~d x ## is extremum, where ## \phi (y', y, x) ## is a functional. Then, I have to use Euler - Lagrange Equation to find out y(x).

Here, I am not able to formulate the problem using the calculus of variation technique.

Another approach is to find out the function expressing the circle in ## \phi ## - plane, i.e. f( ##\phi ## , y,x) and then use df = 0 to find out the points of maximum and minimum. Then I don’t know how to find out the function f?

Is this correct till now?

You just have two simple constrained optimization problems:
(1) For maximum height: ##\max \, (x+y)##, subject to ##(x-2)^2 + (y-2)^2=1##.
(2) For minimum height: ##\min \, (x+y)##, subject to ##(x-2)^2 + (y-2)^2=1##.

Neither problem involves anything like "calculus of variations", although they could involve "Lagrange multipliers", depending on how you solve them.

Actually, both problems can be solved easily without calculus of any kind, just by looking at the geometry.

Likes Pushoam
It doesn't even require calculus. If ##x = 2+\cos\theta,~y=2 + \sin\theta##, what is ##z##? Simple trigonometry will give its maximum.

Likes Pushoam
Thanks for the replies. I got it.

1. What is the purpose of determining the maximum and minimum points of a projected circle?

The purpose of determining the maximum and minimum points of a projected circle is to accurately analyze and understand the shape and dimensions of the circle. This information is important in various fields such as engineering, mathematics, and physics.

2. How do you determine the maximum and minimum points of a projected circle?

The maximum and minimum points of a projected circle can be determined by finding the center point of the circle and then calculating the distance from that point to the outermost edges of the circle. The distance from the center to the outermost edge is the radius, and the maximum and minimum points are located at the end points of the radius.

3. What factors can affect the maximum and minimum points of a projected circle?

The maximum and minimum points of a projected circle can be affected by various factors such as the size and shape of the circle, the angle at which it is projected, and any external forces acting on the circle.

4. Can the maximum and minimum points of a projected circle change over time?

Yes, the maximum and minimum points of a projected circle can change over time if there are any changes in the factors that affect the circle, such as a change in size or external forces. Additionally, if the circle is projected at different angles, the maximum and minimum points will also change.

5. Why is it important to accurately determine the maximum and minimum points of a projected circle?

Accurately determining the maximum and minimum points of a projected circle is important because it allows for precise calculations and analysis of the circle's dimensions and properties. This information can be used in a variety of practical applications, from designing structures to solving complex mathematical equations.