Determining non-conserved work from a collision

In summary, the conversation discusses the change in kinetic and potential energy during a collision, specifically in regards to conservation of work. The speaker notes that in a coalescence, kinetic energy is lost and work cannot be assumed to be conserved without good reason. They also mention using conservation of momentum to find the final velocity and calculate the change in kinetic energy. However, it is advised to solve the problem algebraically rather than plugging in numbers right away.
JoeyBob
Homework Statement
see attached
Relevant Equations
W=change in kinetic energy
So I know from a previous part of the problem that the kinetic energy right before the collision is 94.556.

The non conserved work would also equal the change in kinetic energy + change in potential energy.

What I don't understand is how the potential or kinetic energy would change during the collision. The potential energy is already 0 and wouldn't the kinetic energy just be transferred (so the object would slow down because its heavier).

answer is suppose to be -47.32

Attachments

• wquestion.PNG
    wquestion.PNG
    13 KB · Views: 77
Physics news on Phys.org
JoeyBob said:
wouldnt the kinetic energy just be transferred
Never assume work is conserved without good reason. In a coalescence, as here, you can use conservation of momentum to find the new speed, and you will see that KE has been lost.

haruspex said:
Never assume work is conserved without good reason. In a coalescence, as here, you can use conservation of momentum to find the new speed, and you will see that KE has been lost.
So from conservation of momentum I find that the final velocity was 3.075, which gives a final kinetic energy, which allows me to calculate the change, which let's me find the work.

JoeyBob said:
So from conservation of momentum I find that the final velocity was 3.075, which gives a final kinetic energy, which allows me to calculate the change, which let's me find the work.
Yes, but it is much better, for several reasons, to solve a problem purely algebraically, only plugging in numbers at the very end. Had you done that, you would have found it was unnecessary to find the velocities, neither before impact nor after.

1. What is the definition of non-conserved work in a collision?

Non-conserved work in a collision refers to the energy that is lost or dissipated during the collision. This can be due to factors such as friction, deformation, or heat transfer.

2. How is non-conserved work calculated in a collision?

To calculate non-conserved work in a collision, you need to first calculate the total initial kinetic energy of the objects involved in the collision. Then, calculate the total final kinetic energy after the collision. The difference between these two values is the non-conserved work.

3. What is the significance of determining non-conserved work in a collision?

Determining non-conserved work in a collision can provide valuable information about the efficiency of the collision and the amount of energy lost. This can be useful in analyzing the impact of collisions in various scenarios, such as in car accidents or sports collisions.

4. Can non-conserved work be negative in a collision?

Yes, non-conserved work can be negative in a collision. This indicates that the objects involved in the collision gained energy instead of losing it. This can happen in cases where external forces act on the objects during the collision, such as in a rocket launch.

5. How does the conservation of momentum relate to non-conserved work in a collision?

The conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. In a collision, the initial and final momenta of the objects involved may be different, but the total remains the same. Non-conserved work accounts for the difference in energy, which may not be accounted for in the conservation of momentum equation.