Determining orthonormal states to a non-zero inner product

In summary, the question is asking if it is necessary to make the assumption that <a|a> and <b|b> are equal to one in order to find an orthonormal state to |b>. If the state |x> / <x|x> is orthogonal to |b>, then it is.
electrogeek
Moved from a technical forum,
Hi everyone,

I was attempting the following past paper question below:

Screenshot 2020-04-09 at 12.11.31.png

I have found a value for the coefficient c and I think I have calculated the inner product of <x|x>. I've attached my workings below. But I'm not sure what to do next to answer the last part of the question which asks about finding an orthonormal state to |b>. Am I right to say that <a|a> and <b|b> are equal to one or is my <x|x> calculation wrong?

20200409_121226.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it really necessary to make this assumption ? You already made use of it in the first part, when you said ##C\langle b|b\rangle = C## !

What if ##|a\rangle## and ##|b\rangle## are not normalized ?

BvU said:
What if ##|a\rangle## and ##|b\rangle## are not normalized ?
One might argue that if they are quantum states, then that implies they are normalized.

I've had a think about it and would I be right in saying that the state |x> / <x|x> would be orthonormal to |b>?

electrogeek said:
I've had a think and would I be right in saying that the state |x>/<x|x> would be orthonormal to |b>?
If ##|x \rangle## is orthogonal to ##|b \rangle##, then the normalized state ##\frac{|x \rangle}{\langle x|x \rangle^{1/2}}## must be orthogonal to ##|b \rangle##.

Your term "orthonormal to ##|b \rangle##" has no meaning.

There is, however, one exceptional case that you should have picked up on. What happens if ##1 - S^2 = 0##?

Last edited:
Would |x> / sqrt(<x|x>) both normalised and orthogonal to |b> then instead?

electrogeek said:
Would |x> / sqrt(<x|x>) both normalised and orthogonal to |b> then instead?
Yes, you're right it should be the square root there. I'll change it.

PS it's a strange question since: a) everything works with ##S = 0##; b) it works perfectly well with ##S, c## as complex numbers; c) It doesn't work with ##|S| = 1##, which is the case where ##|a \rangle## and ##|b \rangle## are the same state (up to a phase factor).

It shouldn't have been "non-zero ##S##", it should have been ##|S| \ne 1## in the question.

PeroK said:
Yes, you're right it should be the square root there. I'll change it.

PS it's a strange question since: a) everything works with ##S = 0##; b) it works perfectly well with ##S, c## as complex numbers; c) It doesn't work with ##|S| = 1##, which is the case where ##|a \rangle## and ##|b \rangle## are the same state (up to a phase factor).

It shouldn't have been "non-zero ##S##", it should have been ##|S| \ne 1##.

Ah brilliant! Thanks for the help. :)

1. What is an orthonormal state?

An orthonormal state is a vector in a vector space that has a length of 1 and is perpendicular to all other vectors in the space. This means that the inner product of an orthonormal state with any other vector in the space is equal to 0.

2. Why is it important to determine orthonormal states?

Determining orthonormal states is important because they provide a basis for the vector space, making it easier to perform calculations and understand the properties of the space. They also have many applications in fields such as quantum mechanics and signal processing.

3. How do you determine orthonormal states to a non-zero inner product?

To determine orthonormal states to a non-zero inner product, you can use the Gram-Schmidt process. This involves taking a set of linearly independent vectors and performing a series of orthogonalization and normalization steps to obtain a set of orthonormal vectors.

4. Can non-zero inner products have orthonormal states?

Yes, it is possible to have orthonormal states to a non-zero inner product. This means that the inner product of these states with any other vector in the space will not necessarily be equal to 0, but it will still have a length of 1 and be perpendicular to all other vectors in the space.

5. Are orthonormal states unique?

No, orthonormal states are not unique. In fact, there are infinitely many sets of orthonormal states that can be determined for a given vector space. However, any set of orthonormal states will have the same properties and can be used as a basis for the space.