Determining perpendicular tangent line

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the coordinates of points on the graph of f(x) = sqrt(2x+1) where the tangent line is perpendicular to the line 3x+y+4=0. The process involves finding the derivative of f(x), which is sqrt(2x+1), and using the chair rule to determine the point on the curve where the tangent line has a slope of 1/3.
Thendi

Homework Statement

Determine the coordinates of the points on the graph of f(x) = _/'2x+1 where the tangent line is perpendicular to the line 3x+y+4 = 0

_/' -means square root

Homework Equations

f(x) = _/'2x+1
3x+y+4 = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I made it equal to y
like y= -3x-4...do I have to find the derivative of f(x) = _/'2x+1
Can somebody show me what I am suppose to do next?
or step by step would be fine too.

Physics news on Phys.org
What does the derivative of f(x) tell you about, the tangent line?

Okay, y= -3x- 4 which means it has slope -3. And that tells you than a perpendicular line must have slope 1/3. Where on the curve does the tangent line have slope 1/3?

By the way, just "sqrt(2x+1)" if a far superior notation to "_/'2x+1".

I found the derivative of sqrt(2x+1) which is (2x+1)1/2
Where on the curve does the tangent line have slope 1/3?
Do you use the chair rule?

Related to Determining perpendicular tangent line

1. What is a perpendicular tangent line?

A perpendicular tangent line is a line that intersects a curve at a single point and forms a right angle with the curve at that point. This line represents the direction of the steepest slope at that point on the curve.

2. How do you determine the equation of a perpendicular tangent line?

To determine the equation of a perpendicular tangent line, you need to first find the slope of the tangent line at the point of intersection with the curve. Then, you can use the negative reciprocal of the tangent line's slope to find the slope of the perpendicular line. Finally, you can use the point-slope formula to find the equation of the perpendicular tangent line.

3. What is the point-slope formula?

The point-slope formula is a method for finding the equation of a line that passes through a given point and has a given slope. It can be written as: y - y1 = m(x - x1), where (x1, y1) is the given point and m is the given slope.

4. Can a curve have more than one perpendicular tangent line?

Yes, a curve can have more than one perpendicular tangent line. This can occur when the curve has a point of inflection or a cusp, where the slope of the curve changes suddenly. In these cases, there can be multiple points where the curve intersects a line at a right angle.

5. How is determining a perpendicular tangent line useful in science?

Determining a perpendicular tangent line is useful in science because it allows us to find the direction of the steepest slope at a particular point on a curve. This can be helpful in analyzing the behavior of natural phenomena, such as the rate of change of a chemical reaction or the velocity of an object in motion. It also allows us to calculate the instantaneous rate of change, which is important in fields such as physics and biology.