Determining secant/cosecant equations for a graph

• Thread starter Random-Hero-
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equations for the Secant and Cosecant curves, with a focus on determining the period. The conversation also mentions using the inverse graph to help determine the equations. The participants also mention using the reciprocal trig functions and suggest drawing the inverse graph to help with finding the equations.
Random-Hero-

Homework Statement

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/2097/56413287.jpg [/URL]

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe that the Secant curve has the equation y = 3 Sec ( x - pi/4) However I'm having difficulty figuring out what the cosecant equation would be. Wouldn't it just be the same thing but with a csc instead of sec?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Random-Hero-! :smile:
Random-Hero- said:
I believe that the Secant curve has the equation y = 3 Sec ( x - pi/4)

Nooo (except for the 3) …

what is the period?

Hint: draw the inverse graph first … that should help you with both parts of the question :wink:

would it be these?

secant: -3sec(4x)

cosecant: -3csc(4x+pi/2)

Random-Hero- said:
would it be these?

secant: -3sec(4x)

cosecant: -3csc(4x+pi/2)

I think you're just guessing :rolleyes:

try again, and this time give your reasons for your answer :smile:

(remember, sec = 1/cos, and csc = 1/sin)

(and what is the period?)

I'm just totally lost, I genuinely have NO idea what I'm doing, I just punched those into my Ti-83 and the graph that came up looked identical, but I want to figure it out by eye. Is there a site that covers this somewhere with reciprocal trig?

Random-Hero- said:
I'm just totally lost …

ok, try this …

draw the inverse of the graph …

you have a graph of y against x

in pencil, draw 3/y against x (it'll be in the middle, and it should be a continuous wave) …

can you write that pencil graph as a cos or sin? :smile:

1. What is a secant/cosecant equation?

A secant/cosecant equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a secant or cosecant function and its corresponding graph. It is used to find the values of the function at different points along the graph.

2. How do you determine a secant/cosecant equation for a graph?

To determine a secant/cosecant equation for a graph, you will need to identify two points on the graph and use their coordinates to calculate the slope of the line connecting them. This slope will then be used in the equation y = mx + b, where m represents the slope and b represents the y-intercept. The resulting equation will be the secant/cosecant equation for the graph.

3. Can a secant/cosecant equation be used to find values outside of the graph?

Yes, a secant/cosecant equation can be used to find values outside of the graph by plugging in the desired x-value into the equation. However, it is important to note that the resulting value may not be accurate if it falls outside of the domain of the function.

4. How does a secant/cosecant equation differ from a tangent/cotangent equation?

A secant/cosecant equation involves a line that intersects the graph of the function, while a tangent/cotangent equation involves a line that touches the graph at only one point. Additionally, secant/cosecant equations are used for periodic functions, while tangent/cotangent equations are used for non-periodic functions.

5. Is there a specific formula for determining a secant/cosecant equation?

No, there is not a specific formula for determining a secant/cosecant equation. It involves identifying two points on the graph and using their coordinates to calculate the slope, which is then used in the equation y = mx + b. This process may vary slightly depending on the specific function and its graph.