Determining the capacitor value for an RC circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a series circuit with a capacitor charging via a 1Mohm resistor and a 12volt dc supply. The equation to describe VC is VC=VS(1-e -t/RC). The question is to determine the approximate value of the capacitor if VC is 2V after 4 seconds. Using the rearranged equation C= -t/Rloge(1-VC/VS), the calculation is done to find the value of the capacitor as 0.0000017644uf. However, there is an error in the calculation of the natural log of 0.834. It is suggested to solve the problem algebraically first and then substitute at the end for easier troubleshooting.
matthew tivey
OP warned about not using the homework template
hi, i have a question which i was hoping someone could help with,a series circuit featuring a capacitor (C) charging via a 1Mohm (R) resistor and a 12volt dc supply(VS).i know the equation to describe VC is VC=VS(1-e -t/RC)the question is: assuming VC is 2V after a time of 4 seconds, determine approximate value of the capacitor.i have rearranged the equation to C= -t / Rloge(1-VC/VS).i have calculated it as follows: 2/12= 0.166, then 1 - 0.166= 0.834.

loge0.834= 2.267

1000000 x 2.267 = 2267047

4/2267047 = 0.0000017644ufplease could some one help with the calculation.regardsmatt.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your value for the natural log of 0.834 doesn't look right. Check: the log of a value less than one should be negative.

I think you've done the calculation correctly, but how did you deal with the units? You have a time in seconds divided by a resistance in Ohms, so what are the units of your answer?

Oops, I missed gneill's point. You need to correct that as well.

I've changed your thread title to better describe the problem. Too vague or general titles are frowned upon :smile:

matthew tivey said:
loge0.834= 2.267
This is not correct. I suggest that you solve this problem algebraically and substitute at the very end. It will be much easier to troubleshoot your work if you do that.

1. How do I calculate the capacitor value for an RC circuit?

The capacitor value for an RC circuit can be calculated using the formula C = t/RC, where C is the capacitance in farads, t is the time constant (in seconds), and R is the resistance (in ohms). The time constant can be calculated by multiplying the resistance value (R) by the capacitance value (C) of the circuit.

2. How do I determine the time constant for an RC circuit?

The time constant for an RC circuit can be determined by multiplying the resistance value (R) by the capacitance value (C) of the circuit. This value represents the time it takes for the capacitor to charge to approximately 63% of its maximum charge level.

3. What is the significance of the capacitor value in an RC circuit?

The capacitor value in an RC circuit determines the amount of charge that the capacitor can store and release. A higher capacitor value means that the capacitor can store more charge, which can affect the time it takes for the capacitor to charge and discharge in the circuit.

4. How does changing the capacitor value affect the behavior of an RC circuit?

Changing the capacitor value can affect the time constant of the RC circuit. A higher capacitor value will result in a longer time constant, meaning that it will take longer for the capacitor to charge and discharge. This can affect the overall behavior and performance of the circuit, such as the frequency response and time delay.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when determining the capacitor value for an RC circuit?

Yes, there are other factors to consider such as the input voltage, desired frequency response, and the type of capacitor used. When choosing a capacitor, it is important to ensure that it can handle the maximum voltage and frequency of the circuit, and that it has the appropriate capacitance value for the desired performance.