Determining the direction of magnetic force

In summary, the direction of the magnetic force on an electron can be determined using the right-hand rule, where the index finger points in the direction of the magnetic field, the thumb points in the direction of the current, and the middle finger points in the direction of the magnetic force. The component of the magnetic field that is orthogonal to the velocity is the only one that affects the calculation. However, in some cases, the direction of the current and the velocity may be the same, while in others they may be different.
miyayeah

Homework Statement

upload_2018-4-14_0-31-22.png

Referring to (b) in the picture above: What is the direction of the magnetic force on the electron?

Homework Equations

I use the right-hand rule where by putting your index finger in the direction of the magnetic field and thumb in the direction of the velocity, the middle finger points in the direction of the magnetic force.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried the right-hand rule as I explained, but as soon as I put my thumb in the direction of velocity my fingers are restricted and my index finger cannot align with the magnetic field. How should I solve this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-14_0-31-22.png
    upload_2018-4-14_0-31-22.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 607
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, only the component of the magnetic field that is orthogonal to the velocity matters, but in this case they are orthogonal, so you should not have a problem in aligning the directions.

Second:
miyayeah said:
I use the right-hand rule where by putting your index finger in the direction of the magnetic field and thumb in the direction of the velocity, the middle finger points in the direction of the magnetic force.
This is not correct. Your thumb should be pointed in the direction of the current, not the direction of the velocity. I will let you think a bit about in what cases those are the same and in what cases they are not.

Related to Determining the direction of magnetic force

1. How do you determine the direction of magnetic force?

The direction of magnetic force can be determined by using the right-hand rule, which states that if you point your right thumb in the direction of the current, the curl of your fingers will show the direction of the magnetic field.

2. What factors affect the direction of magnetic force?

The direction of magnetic force is affected by the direction of the current, the strength of the magnetic field, and the angle between the current and the magnetic field.

3. Can the direction of magnetic force be changed?

Yes, the direction of magnetic force can be changed by altering the direction of the current or by changing the angle between the current and the magnetic field.

4. How does the direction of magnetic force impact a charged particle?

The direction of magnetic force determines the path that a charged particle will take in a magnetic field. The particle will experience a force perpendicular to both its velocity and the magnetic field, causing it to move in a circular or helical motion.

5. Is the direction of magnetic force the same for all types of magnets?

Yes, the direction of magnetic force is determined by the right-hand rule and is the same for all types of magnets, including bar magnets, electromagnets, and permanent magnets.