Determining the height of an angled projectile after 10m

In summary, the question involves Jason hitting a tennis ball against a wall at an angle of 80 degrees with respect to the vertical. The ball has a speed of 25 m/s and must travel 10 m before reaching the wall. It is asked how far above the ground the ball will strike the wall. Using the initial velocities in the vertical and horizontal directions, it is determined that the ball takes approximately 2.5 seconds to reach the wall. However, an incorrect calculation is made due to taking the angle as 80 degrees with respect to the horizontal instead of the vertical. It is advised to work symbolically and avoid rounding errors when solving problems like this.
clairakitty

Homework Statement

Jason is practicing his tennis stroke by hitting balls against a wall. The ball leaves his racquet at a height of 43 cm above the ground at an angle of 80° with respect to the vertical. The speed of the ball as it leaves the racquet is 25 m/s and it must travel a distance of 10 m before it reaches the wall. How far above the ground does the ball strike the wall?

Homework Equations

I'm not really sure? Vertical displacement probably.
Vertical displacement = voy (time) + (1/2)(acceleration)(time)2

The Attempt at a Solution

I (think I) found the initial velocities in the vertical and horizontal directions:

vinitialx = vinitial cos angle = 25cos(80) = 4 m/s
vinitialy = vinitial sin angle = 25sin(80) = 25 m/s

With that, I attempted to find how long it takes the ball to reach the wall

10m = 4 m/s(t)
2.5 m/s = t

That's where I get lost. I try taking the displacement formula and plugging in the numbers and then adding 0.43 meters to the answer, but none of my answers are correct. I've tried both adding and subtracting (1/2)(9.81)^2 from 25(2.5), because I'm not really sure which it would be here, but both are wrong. Where am I messing up?

Physics news on Phys.org
Epicduck said:
Where am I messing up?

You've taken the angle as 80deg with respect to the horizontal. The question statement says 80 deg wrt the vertical.

Also, you shouldn't round here prematurely:

vinitialy = vinitial sin angle = 25sin(80) = 25 m/s

Best to work symbolically then do a single calculation at the end rather than accumulate rounding errors and increase the chance of calculation errors.

1. How is the height of an angled projectile after 10m determined?

The height of an angled projectile after 10m can be determined using the formula h = h0 + v0sinθt - (1/2)gt2, where h0 is the initial height, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, t is the time, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. Can the height of an angled projectile after 10m be determined without knowing the initial height?

Yes, the height of an angled projectile after 10m can still be determined without knowing the initial height by using the formula h = v0sinθt - (1/2)gt2. However, knowing the initial height can provide a more accurate result.

3. How does the angle of projection affect the height of an angled projectile after 10m?

The angle of projection, θ, directly affects the height of an angled projectile after 10m. The higher the angle of projection, the higher the height of the projectile will be. Conversely, a lower angle of projection will result in a lower height at 10m.

4. What is the significance of 10m in determining the height of an angled projectile?

10m is a commonly used distance in projectile motion problems because it is a significant enough distance to observe a change in the height of the projectile, but not too far that the calculations become too complex. It also allows for easy comparison between different projectiles.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of determining the height of an angled projectile after 10m?

The accuracy of determining the height of an angled projectile after 10m can be affected by factors such as air resistance, wind, and variations in initial conditions (e.g. initial velocity and angle). Other external factors such as friction and uneven surfaces can also play a role in affecting the accuracy of the calculation.