Determining the magnitude of the charge (Coulombs Law)

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the magnitude of the charge on each point of two equal charges, and a calculation was given which yielded 9.62 x 10-14 C on a TI83 sci. calculator.
meeklobraca

Homework Statement

Two equal charges exert an electric force on each other of 0.0385N when positioned 0.15 m apart. Determine the magnitude of the charge on each point.

Homework Equations

Fe=Kq1q2/R^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I narrowed it down to

q1q2=FeR^2/K

q1q2=96357.0634C^2

I squared this and I get q1q2=310.4143415C

This is not the answer to the question. I am close as far as the numbers go but I am not sure what I am missing here.

Physics news on Phys.org
meeklobraca said:

Homework Statement

Two equal charges exert an electric force on each other of 0.0385N when positioned 0.15 m apart. Determine the magnitude of the charge on each point.

Homework Equations

Fe=Kq1q2/R^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I narrowed it down to

q1q2=FeR^2/K

q1q2=96357.0634C^2

I squared this and I get q1q2=310.4143415C

This is not the answer to the question. I am close as far as the numbers go but I am not sure what I am missing here.

Could be the number of significant digits.
Could be that the charges could either both be plus or minus, but they do only ask for magnitude.

The answer given is 3.1 x 10-7 C

The answer I got was 3.1 x 10^2C right? So I figure the numbers are correct, just something missing, or maybe even the answer in the book is wrong.

meeklobraca said:
The answer given is 3.1 x 10-7 C

The answer I got was 3.1 x 10^2C right? So I figure the numbers are correct, just something missing, or maybe even the answer in the book is wrong.

Recalculate it again then. (K is 9*109 And you are dividing by it.)

yeah, that's been done.

meeklobraca said:
yeah, that's been done.

If you divided by 109 and you got 102 ... that's a lot of 10's to be off.

Why don't you type out your whole calculation?

On the face of it you have 10-2*10-1*10-1/109

102 seems like an unlikely result.

I have here

qq=0.0385N x (0.15)(0.15) / 8.99x10^9

So I get

8.66x10-4 / 8.99x10^9

Last edited:
meeklobraca said:
I have here

qq=0.0385N x (0.15)(0.15) / 8.99x10^9

So I get

8.66x10-4 / 8.99x10^9

And that gives 9.62 x 10-14

And taking the square root ...

"And that gives 9.62 x 10-14"

I wish I could copy and paste what my calculator is saying because I just don't get that answer.

I tried it with an oline calculator and I got what you got, so I am not sure if the settings on my calculator are just messed up.

meeklobraca said:
I tried it with an oline calculator and I got what you got, so I am not sure if the settings on my calculator are just messed up.

Nothing like pencil and paper.

If in doubt, work it out.

Its been a while since I've done that. How do you divide exponents? Can you give me a quick crash course?

meeklobraca said:
Its been a while since I've done that. How do you divide exponents? Can you give me a quick crash course?

Just look at post 6:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1924414&postcount=6

Dividing by 10 makes it 10-1

Dividing by 109 makes it 10-9

Dividing by exponents subtracts. Multiplying adds.

Don't let your teacher know you didn't know.

OK see there we go.

I have 8.66x10-4 / 8.99x10^9 right?

Im taking 8.66x10^+4 and dividing it by 8.99x10^+9

But if I am dividing an exponent I am supposed to make the +9 a negative 9?

meeklobraca said:
OK see there we go.

I have 8.66x10-4 / 8.99x10^9 right?

Im taking 8.66x10^+4 and dividing it by 8.99x10^+9

But if I am dividing an exponent I am supposed to make the +9 a negative 9?

That should be -4 and dividing by 109 makes that 10-13 and the numerator being less than denominator makes it 9.xx * 10-14.

That was a typo on my part.

That makes perfect sense, I still don't get though why my calculator spits out 96329.25473

This is on a TI83 sci. calulator

8.6610^(-4)/8.9910^(9)

meeklobraca said:
That was a typo on my part.

That makes perfect sense, I still don't get though why my calculator spits out 96329.25473

This is on a TI83 sci. calulator

8.6610^(-4)/8.9910^(9)

I'd recommend not using that calculator to figure orbital trajectories for a Mars landing then.

Maybe use it for grocery shopping?

its going to be used as a stool for my radio here if it doesn't smarten up.

Related to Determining the magnitude of the charge (Coulombs Law)

What is Coulomb's Law and how is it used to determine the magnitude of charge?

Coulomb's Law is a scientific principle that describes the electrostatic force between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This law can be used to calculate the magnitude of charge on an object by measuring the force between it and another charged object.

What are the units of measurement for charge and distance in Coulomb's Law?

The unit of charge in Coulomb's Law is the Coulomb (C), which is defined as the amount of charge that passes through a point in one second when a current of one Ampere (A) is flowing. The unit of distance is meters (m), which is used to measure the distance between the two charged objects.

How does the distance between two charged objects affect the magnitude of the charge?

According to Coulomb's Law, the force between two charged objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between two charged objects increases, the force between them decreases. Therefore, the magnitude of charge on an object is directly related to the force between it and another charged object at a specific distance.

Can Coulomb's Law be applied to determine the magnitude of charge on non-point charges?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be applied to determine the magnitude of charge on non-point charges, such as spheres or cylinders. However, in these cases, the distance between the two objects must be measured from their centers, rather than just the surface.

How is Coulomb's Law related to other fundamental laws in physics?

Coulomb's Law is related to other fundamental laws in physics, such as Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation. Both laws describe the force between two objects and follow the inverse square law, but they apply to different types of forces – gravitational and electrostatic. Coulomb's Law can also be derived from Maxwell's equations, which are the fundamental equations of electromagnetism.