Determining the Maximum and Minimum of a Discontinuous Function $f(x,y)$

In summary, the function $f(x,y)$ is discontinuous at the points $(x,x^2)$ with $x\neq 0,1$ and continuous at all other points. The minimum of $f$ is $-\frac{1}{4}$ at the point $\left (\frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{4}\right )$, and there is no maximum for the function. This is shown by noting that $f(0,y) = y$ for all $y\geqslant0$.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

We have the function $f: (\mathbb{R}^2,\|\cdot\|_2)\rightarrow (\mathbb{R},|\cdot |)$ with \begin{equation*}f(x,y)=\begin{cases}y-x & y\geq x^2 \\ 0 & y<x^2\end{cases}\end{equation*}

I have shown that $f(x,y)$ is discontinuous at the points $(x,x^2)$ with $x\neq 0,1$ and continuous at the other points, i.e. at the points $(x,y)$ with $y<x^2$ and $y>x^2$, and also at the points $(0,0)$ and $(1,1)$.

Now I want to determine the maximum and minimum of $f$, if they exist. When $y\geq x^2$ we have that $f(x,y)=y-x\geq x^2-x\geq -\frac{1}{4}$.
($-\frac{1}{4}$ is the minimum of $x^2-x$ at $x=\frac{1}{2}$)
Since $-\frac{1}{4}$ is smaller than $0$ (the value of the function when $y<x^2$) it follows that the function $f(x,y)$ has a minimum at $(x,y)=(x,x^2)=\left (\frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{4}\right )$ which is equal to $-\frac{1}{4}$.

Is this correct? If yes, could we improve the justification? (Wondering) About the maximum: In the first case, $y$ is greater than $x^2$, so I think that the value of the function can grow infinitely, i.e. it has no maximum. Is this correct? But how could we justify that formally? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

We have the function $f: (\mathbb{R}^2,\|\cdot\|_2)\rightarrow (\mathbb{R},|\cdot |)$ with \begin{equation*}f(x,y)=\begin{cases}y-x & y\geq x^2 \\ 0 & y<x^2\end{cases}\end{equation*}

I have shown that $f(x,y)$ is discontinuous at the points $(x,x^2)$ with $x\neq 0,1$ and continuous at the other points, i.e. at the points $(x,y)$ with $y<x^2$ and $y>x^2$, and also at the points $(0,0)$ and $(1,1)$.

Now I want to determine the maximum and minimum of $f$, if they exist. When $y\geq x^2$ we have that $f(x,y)=y-x\geq x^2-x\geq -\frac{1}{4}$.
($-\frac{1}{4}$ is the minimum of $x^2-x$ at $x=\frac{1}{2}$)
Since $-\frac{1}{4}$ is smaller than $0$ (the value of the function when $y<x^2$) it follows that the function $f(x,y)$ has a minimum at $(x,y)=(x,x^2)=\left (\frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{4}\right )$ which is equal to $-\frac{1}{4}$.

Is this correct? If yes, could we improve the justification? (Wondering) About the maximum: In the first case, $y$ is greater than $x^2$, so I think that the value of the function can grow infinitely, i.e. it has no maximum. Is this correct? But how could we justify that formally? (Wondering)
Your answers are correct. The minimum is $-\frac14$, at the point $\left (\frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{4}\right )$. To show that there is no maximum, notice that $f(0,y) = y$ for all $y\geqslant0$.

Opalg said:
Your answers are correct. The minimum is $-\frac14$, at the point $\left (\frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{4}\right )$. To show that there is no maximum, notice that $f(0,y) = y$ for all $y\geqslant0$.

Ah ok! Thank you very much! (Yes)

1. What is a maximum and minimum of f(x,y)?

A maximum and minimum of f(x,y) refers to the highest and lowest values of a function in a given domain. It represents the peak and valley points of the graph of the function.

2. How do you find the maximum and minimum of f(x,y)?

To find the maximum and minimum of f(x,y), you can use a variety of methods such as taking partial derivatives, using the gradient vector, or setting up and solving a system of equations. These methods vary depending on the complexity of the function and the available resources.

3. What is the significance of maximum and minimum in a function?

The maximum and minimum points of a function are important because they provide information about the behavior and shape of the graph. They can indicate the direction of change, the existence of critical points, and the overall trend of the function.

4. Can a function have more than one maximum or minimum?

Yes, a function can have multiple maximum and minimum points. This can occur when the function has multiple peaks and valleys, or when the function is flat at certain points resulting in multiple maximum or minimum values.

5. What is the difference between a local and global maximum or minimum?

A local maximum or minimum is a point where the function has the highest or lowest value in a specific interval, while a global maximum or minimum is the highest or lowest value of the entire function. A local maximum or minimum may or may not coincide with a global maximum or minimum.