Determining the state from observation?

In summary, the conversation discussed determining the state of a system from observations, specifically looking at examples of fermion spin and the position wave function of a single particle in one dimension. The question was raised of whether it is possible to recover a complex-valued function from knowing its probability distributions in both the position and momentum representations. This was theorized to be a question for MathOverflow, as it potentially involves a theorem. Additionally, the concept of an overall phase not being observable was also discussed.
pellman
How does one determine the state of a system from observations?

Let us look at a simple example: the spin of a fermion. Any state of the system is a superposition of up and down eigenstates. Denote the coefficients in this superposition by a and b. The question here amounts to determining a and b up to an overall phase.By performing spin measurements on many identically prepared systems we can determine the ratio |a|^2 / |b|^2. But how do we get the relative phase?

Physics news on Phys.org
If ##\left|\right.\uparrow\left.\right>## and ##\left|\right.\downarrow\left.\right>## are eigenstates of ##\hat{S}_z## and the state of the system is ##a\left|\right.\uparrow\left.\right> + b\left|\right.\downarrow\left.\right>##, the relative phases of ##a## and ##b## affect what the probabilities of different eigenvalues of ##\hat{S}_x## and ##\hat{S}_y## are.

pellman said:
How does one determine the state of a system from observations?

Let us look at a simple example: the spin of a fermion. Any state of the system is a superposition of up and down eigenstates. Denote the coefficients in this superposition by a and b. The question here amounts to determining a and b up to an overall phase.By performing spin measurements on many identically prepared systems we can determine the ratio |a|^2 / |b|^2. But how do we get the relative phase?
I don't think you can because the only observables |a|2, |b|2are independent of phase.

With light one can use tomography to get relative phase.

[Beaten by Hilbert2 with a better answer]

One can measure the spin in arbitrary directions, and this get information of the required form. In general, look up quantum tomography!

hilbert2 said:
If ##\left|\right.\uparrow\left.\right>## and ##\left|\right.\downarrow\left.\right>## are eigenstates of ##\hat{S}_z## and the state of the system is ##a\left|\right.\uparrow\left.\right> + b\left|\right.\downarrow\left.\right>##, the relative phases of ##a## and ##b## affect what the probabilities of different eigenvalues of ##\hat{S}_x## and ##\hat{S}_y## are.
But the probability is only one real parameter, and one needs to determine three. With one equation this is impossible.

Ok. Well the reason
hilbert2 said:

This is it. I worked it out on paper. The relative phase in the S_z representation can be expressed in terms of the absolute values of the coefficients in all three representations. But you need measurements with respect to all three axes. Thanks!

Last edited:
This question came to me because I often see statements like, given a system in state ψ, what is the probability of observing the system to be in state ϕ? And I finally wondered, what does it mean to "observe the system to be in state ϕ" when observations can only return limited information?

So, just for fun, how about the next simple example?
Determining the (time-independent) position wave function for a single particle in one dimension

In principle, from observations we can get the probability distributions in both the position representation and in the momentum representations. The wave functions in each representation are related by a Fourier transform.

So the theoretical question amounts to: if we know | f(x) |^2 and |F(k)|^2 for two complex-valued functions f(x) and F(k) which are Fourier transforms, can we recover f(x)?

This is probably a theorem out there somewhere. Anyone know?

Last edited:
Knowing probabilities for three different axes is overkill.

Write a two-component spinor this way: ##|\psi\rangle = e^{i\chi} \left( \begin{array} \\ cos(\frac{\theta}{2}) e^{-i \frac{\phi}{2}} \\ sin(\frac{\theta}{2}) e^{+i \frac{\phi}{2}} \end{array} \right)##. The overall phase ##\chi## is unobservable. So there are two unknowns: ##\theta## and ##\phi##. So you shouldn't need more than 2 equations to determine them.

Let's let ##P_x, P_y, P_z## be the probabilities for measuring the particle to be spin-up in the three directions. Then, if I did the calculation correctly,

##P_x = \frac{1}{2} (1+sin(\theta) cos(\phi))##
##P_y = \frac{1}{2} (1+sin(\theta) sin(\phi))## (I might have made a sign error---it might be ##-sin(\theta) sin(\phi)##)
##P_z = \frac{1}{2} (1+cos(\theta))##

This implies a relationship between the three probabilities:

##\sum_j (2 P_j - 1)^2 = 1##

stevendaryl said:
##P_x = \frac{1}{2} (1+sin(\theta) cos(\phi))##
##P_y = \frac{1}{2} (1+sin(\theta) sin(\phi))## (I might have made a sign error---it might be ##-sin(\theta) sin(\phi)##)
##P_z = \frac{1}{2} (1+cos(\theta))##

Right. But knowing ##cos(\phi)## alone is not enough because there are two values of ##\phi## with that value of ##cos(\phi)##. You need both ##cos(\phi)## and ##sin(\phi)##

pellman said:
So the theoretical question amounts to: if we know | f(x) |^2 and |F(k)|^2 for two complex-valued functions f(x) and F(k) which are Fourier transforms, can we recover f(x)?

This is a question you should ask at MathOverflow, where there are many professional mathematicians. You can then feed back the best answer from there to the present thread.

pellman said:

I need to modify this statement since it is easily shown that for a given f the function ## g = e^{i \phi} f## for constant ##\phi## has both ##|g(x)|^2 = |f(x)|^2 ## and ##|G(k)|^2 = |F(k)|^2##. Which is fine from a quantum measurement standpoint. The overall phase is not observable.

So if we know | f(x) |^2 and |F(k)|^2 for two complex-valued functions f(x) and F(k) which are Fourier transforms, can we recover f(x) up to a constant factor of the form ## e^{i \phi} ##?

A. Neumaier said:
This is a question you should ask at MathOverflow, where there are many professional mathematicians. You can then feed back the best answer from there to the present thread.
Thanks. I will try that.

1. How do scientists determine the state of matter from observation?

Scientists use various techniques and experiments to determine the state of matter from observation. These techniques include measuring the physical properties of the substance, such as density, boiling point, and melting point, as well as observing the behavior of the substance under different conditions, such as temperature and pressure.

2. What are the different states of matter?

The three main states of matter are solid, liquid, and gas. However, there are also other states of matter, such as plasma and Bose-Einstein condensates, that can be observed under extreme conditions.

3. Can the state of matter change?

Yes, the state of matter can change through physical or chemical processes. For example, a solid can be heated to become a liquid, and a liquid can be cooled to become a solid. This change in state is known as a phase transition.

4. How can we determine the state of matter in outer space?

Scientists can determine the state of matter in outer space by using remote sensing techniques, such as spectroscopy, to analyze the light emitted or absorbed by a substance. They can also use data from space probes and telescopes to study the physical properties and behavior of matter in space.

5. Why is it important to determine the state of matter?

Determining the state of matter is important for understanding the properties and behavior of different substances. It also helps scientists develop new materials and technologies, as well as study natural phenomena, such as weather patterns and the formation of planets and stars.