Determining the type of interaction

In summary: So they are more likely to mediate weak interactions.The particle ##X## could be a ##\Sigma^+##, as it has non-zero strangeness and charge +1.
maximus123
Hi everyone,

I have the following question

When a positive pion interacts with a proton, a kaon can be produced, along with another strange particle, as shown in this equation

[itex]\pi^++\textrm{P}\longrightarrow \textrm{K}^++\textrm{X} [/itex]

Circle the type of interaction shown

[itex] \textrm{Electromagnetic} \qquad\textrm{gravitational}\qquad\textrm{weak nuclear}\qquad\textrm{strong nuclear}[/itex]

I know this is a strong interaction as I have gotten used to recognising them. Given a reaction equation, if I was not sure what the interaction type, I would be able to work it out by seeing if the quark composition was conserved. If it was then we have the strong nuclear force. However in the above example. Since we have not been given the quark composition of the X particle, or whether or not its strange particle is strange or antistrange, that is not possible in this case. So how else could I know by looking at the above (incomplete) equation, that it is an example of a strong interaction?

Thanks a lot for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
It's true that if X is a proton, it would be a weak interaction. But the branching ratio to produce a proton is so small that it probably has never been seen experimentally. You could check on PDG to see if it has been seen, or what the upper limit for it to happen is.

maximus123 said:
along with another strange particle

That should tell you that ##X## has non-zero strangeness. To conserve charge and baryon number, ##X## is going to have negative strangeness (regular baryons don't have valence antiquarks) and charge +1, like a ##\Sigma^{+}##. The ##K^{+}## has strangeness +1, so if all the flavour numbers are conserved, this can go as a strong interaction.

I'm not sure why the first reply mentions branching ratios, since this is a ##2 \to 2## body scatter.

Just testing my current knowledge- would the particle ##X## be a ##\Sigma^+## ? And would this be the corresponding Feynman diagram?
pion_proton.png

Also, rather than a gluon, could the mediation particle be a photon or ##Z^0##?

dukwon said:
I'm not sure why the first reply mentions branching ratios, since this is a 2→22→22 \to 2 body scatter.
because it was confusing. You are right since in that case there is no Branching ratio for proton production (proton is already there).

SnoliF said:
Also, rather than a gluon, could the mediation particle be a photon or Z0Z0Z^0?
quarks prefer interacting with gluons rather than photons (or even worse the massive Z bosons)... so to your question the answer is yes but not as likely.

W's apart from being heavy also have Cabibbo suppressed vertices.

1. How do you determine the type of interaction between two substances?

To determine the type of interaction between two substances, scientists use various methods such as spectroscopy, chromatography, and molecular modeling. These techniques allow them to analyze the physical and chemical properties of the substances and identify the type of interaction present. Additionally, experimental studies and computer simulations are also used to determine the strength and nature of the interaction.

2. What are the different types of interactions that can occur between substances?

The different types of interactions between substances include ionic, covalent, metallic, hydrogen bonding, van der Waals forces, and hydrophobic interactions. These interactions vary in strength and have different characteristics that influence the properties of the substances involved.

3. How do intermolecular interactions differ from intramolecular interactions?

Intramolecular interactions occur within a molecule and involve the bonding between atoms to form a stable compound. On the other hand, intermolecular interactions occur between different molecules and play a crucial role in determining the physical properties of substances such as boiling and melting points, solubility, and viscosity.

4. Can the type of interaction between substances be changed?

Yes, the type of interaction between substances can be changed through various methods such as temperature, pressure, and the introduction of other substances. For example, heating can break down hydrogen bonds between water molecules, changing the physical state of water from a liquid to a gas.

5. How do intermolecular interactions affect the behavior of substances at the atomic level?

Intermolecular interactions play a crucial role in determining the arrangement and movement of atoms within a substance. These interactions can influence the strength and direction of bonds between atoms, leading to changes in the overall behavior and properties of substances, such as their melting and boiling points.