Deuteron Transcendental Equation

In summary: I used the number you gave for the reduced mass of the proton and neutron- 1.673x10^{-27}~\rm kg- and got the two different values for b.
James_1978
Homework Statement
I believe I solved the transcendental equation but the plot does not make sense.
Relevant Equations
##k_{1} \cot{k_{1}R} = -k_{2}##
##k_{1} = \frac{\sqrt{2m(E+V_{o})}}{\hbar}##
##k_{2} = \frac{\sqrt{-2mE}}{\hbar}##
##x = -\tan{bx}##
##x = \sqrt{\frac{-(V_{o} + E)}{E}}##
Dear Forum,

I am trying to solve a problem (4.6) from the introductory nuclear physics textbook by Krane. The problem is as follows:
Solving the deuteron using the radial equations gives the transcendental function,

##k_{1} \cot{k_{1}R} = -k_{2}##

Were

##k_{1} = \frac{\sqrt{2m(E+V_{o})}}{\hbar}##

And

##k_{2} = \frac{\sqrt{-2mE}}{\hbar}##

That gives the relations between and R. Show that this equation can be written in the form,

##x = -\tan{bx}##

Where

##x = \sqrt{\frac{-(V_{o} + E)}{E}}##

Evaluate the parameter b for R = 2fm. Note that is the reduced mass. Solve the transcendental equation.

When rearranging we get ##b## as.

##b = \frac{\sqrt{-2mE}}{\hbar}*R##

For the reduced mass ##m = \frac{1.67x10^{-27}}{2} kg##
For ##\hbar = 1.054x10^{-34} J-s##
For ##E = -2.22 MeV##

We are suppose to see that when solving the transcendental equation we get ##V_{o} = 36 MeV##. However we must have something wrong because the function does not clearly show how you infer the ##V_{o} = 36 MeV##. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
How much value of b you get ? Please let me know it for checking your result.

Last edited:
Dear Anuttarasmmyak

Here is what I got for b

##b = \frac{\sqrt{-2*\frac{1.67x10^{-27}}{2}*-2.22*1.602x10^{-13}}}{1.054x10^{-34}}##

Where ##b =2.3155x10^{14} m^{-1}##

Or with R I get ##b*R = 0.4856## I get ##V_{o} = 36##. I think this is correct. Just wanted to make sure.

1676640075854.png

b has no physical dimension.

Yes. I saw that. b*R is unit-less. My mistake.

Is MeV translated to MKSA Joule ?

Yes. I think you are asking in that I multiplied MeV*1.602x10^-13 to convert MeV to Joules. Is that what you are asking?

And you say R is 2 fm.

Yes, I use 2x10-15 m.

James_1978 said:
Or with R I get
So you say b=0.4856.

Yes. That is what I got.

anuttarasammyak said:
So you say b=0.4856.
James_1978 said:
Yes. That is what I got.
I got a different value for ##b##. I calculated ##b=0.4627##.

What did you use for E and mass of proton?

I first calculated ##b## using the numbers you used and got a different answer. So I looked up the mass of a proton and neutron and found the reduced mass (##1.673\times 10^{-27}~\rm kg##) and used that to get the number above. Either way, I didn't get the value for ##b## you found. In both cases I used ##E_1 = -2.22~\rm MeV##.

In fact, I don't get the same values for the calculations you showed in post #3 for ##b## (really ##b/R##) or ##b R## (really ##b##). Moreover, your two values don't make sense if you're using ##R=2~\rm fm##.

1. What is the Deuteron Transcendental Equation?

The Deuteron Transcendental Equation is a mathematical equation that describes the energy levels of a deuteron, which is a nucleus consisting of one proton and one neutron. It is used in nuclear physics to understand the behavior of deuterons in various environments.

2. Who discovered the Deuteron Transcendental Equation?

The Deuteron Transcendental Equation was first derived by the German physicist Erwin Schrödinger in 1933. He used a quantum mechanical approach to describe the energy levels of the deuteron.

3. How is the Deuteron Transcendental Equation derived?

The Deuteron Transcendental Equation is derived by solving the Schrödinger equation for a two-body system, which takes into account the interactions between the proton and neutron in the deuteron. This results in a transcendental equation, which cannot be solved analytically and requires numerical methods.

4. What are the applications of the Deuteron Transcendental Equation?

The Deuteron Transcendental Equation is used in nuclear physics to understand the properties of deuterons in nuclear reactions and nuclear structure. It is also used in astrophysics to model the behavior of deuterons in stars and other celestial bodies.

5. How does the Deuteron Transcendental Equation contribute to our understanding of nuclear physics?

The Deuteron Transcendental Equation is an important tool in nuclear physics as it allows us to calculate the energy levels of deuterons and predict their behavior in different environments. This helps us to understand the structure and properties of nuclei, as well as the processes involved in nuclear reactions.