Diagonalizability dependent on nullity and inner product?

In summary: This is a common trick, and it's a bit unfair, but it's the only way to make this work.In summary, the conversation discusses the process of proving that a matrix A (A=U(V^T)) is diagonalizable in a situation where U and V are non zero vectors in R^n. The speaker has already proven that U is an eigenvector for A with the corresponding eigenvalue being the inner product of U and V ((U^T)V). They have also confirmed that the nullity of A is n-1, which implies that there are n-1 linearly independent zero eigenvectors. In order to show that A has n linearly independent eigenvectors, they need to find one more
meboxley
Hello everyone!

I am doing some work involves proving that a matrix A (A=U(V^T)) is diagonalizable. In this situation, U and V are non zero vectors in R^n.

So far, I have proven that U is an eigenvector for A, and that the corresponding eigenvalue is the inner product of U and V ((U^T)V). [Here I multiplied both sides by U and then did some simple equation manipulations.] Also, I have confirmed that the nullity of A = n-1 (via proof that rank(A)=1). [Since the rows of A are multiples of the rows of V^T, then the row space of A has dimension 1 --> rank(A)=1.]

I know that I need to use the things that I have already proven, and I also know that U(dot)V cannot equal zero. However, I am a bit stuck on how the information that I have constructed already shows that A will have n linearly independent eigenvectors. (I have also already done enough work to see that this is the only condition possible to be proven that implies that A is diagonalizable - I think!)

Any help with connecting all of this would be great! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You're pretty much there. The nullity is the dimension of the kernel, the set of vectors annihilated by the matrix: in other words, the set of eigenvectors with zero eigenvalue. Since the nullity is n-1, you have n-1 linearly independent zero eigenvectors. You just need one more LI eigenvector to span the space, and any eigenvector with nonzero eigenvalue must by LI of the kernel. And you've got such an eigenvector, so you're done.

What about

[tex]UV^T=\left(\begin{array}{c} 1\\ 0\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{cc} 0 & 1\end{array}\right)=\left(\begin{array}{cc} 0 & 1\\ 0 & 0\end{array}\right)[/tex]?

This is not a diagonalizable matrix. Or did I misunderstand your question?

Hidden in the OP is the assumption that U and V are not orthogonal, and this is sufficient. It guarantees that U has a nonzero e'value.

I would say that diagonalizability of a matrix is dependent on both the nullity and inner product. The nullity, or dimension of the null space, tells us about the number of linearly independent eigenvectors of the matrix. In this case, the nullity of A is n-1, which means there is only one linearly independent eigenvector.

However, the inner product between U and V also plays a crucial role in determining the diagonalizability of A. Your proof shows that U is an eigenvector with the corresponding eigenvalue being the inner product of U and V. This means that U and V are orthogonal to each other, and since U is the only linearly independent eigenvector, it must span the entire null space of A.

In conclusion, the combination of the nullity and inner product of A determines its diagonalizability. The nullity tells us about the number of linearly independent eigenvectors, while the inner product tells us about the orthogonality between these eigenvectors. I hope this helps in connecting all the information you have gathered so far. Keep up the good work!

Related to Diagonalizability dependent on nullity and inner product?

1. What is diagonalizability dependent on nullity and inner product?

Diagonalizability is a property of a square matrix that determines whether it can be transformed into a diagonal matrix. The nullity of a matrix refers to the dimension of its null space, while the inner product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as inputs and produces a scalar value. The diagonalizability of a matrix is dependent on its nullity and inner product because these factors affect the linear independence of the matrix's eigenvectors, which is a necessary condition for diagonalizability.

2. How does nullity affect the diagonalizability of a matrix?

The nullity of a matrix is determined by the number of free variables in its solution. A matrix with a higher nullity has more free variables and is less likely to be diagonalizable because its eigenvectors may not be linearly independent. In contrast, a matrix with a lower nullity has fewer free variables and is more likely to be diagonalizable because its eigenvectors are more likely to be linearly independent.

3. Can a matrix with a nullity of 0 be diagonalizable?

Yes, a matrix with a nullity of 0 can be diagonalizable. This is because a nullity of 0 means that the matrix has no free variables, and its eigenvectors are guaranteed to be linearly independent. Therefore, a matrix with a nullity of 0 satisfies the necessary condition for diagonalizability.

4. How does the inner product affect the diagonalizability of a matrix?

The inner product plays a role in determining the linear independence of a matrix's eigenvectors. If the inner product of two eigenvectors is 0, they are orthogonal and linearly independent. If the inner product is non-zero, the eigenvectors are not orthogonal and may not be linearly independent. Therefore, a matrix with orthogonal eigenvectors is more likely to be diagonalizable than a matrix with non-orthogonal eigenvectors.

5. Can two matrices with the same nullity and inner product have different diagonalizability?

Yes, two matrices with the same nullity and inner product can have different diagonalizability. Other factors, such as the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix, also play a role in determining its diagonalizability. Therefore, while nullity and inner product are important factors, they are not the only determinants of a matrix's diagonalizability.