Diagonalizing q1ˆ3q2ˆ3 with Degenerate Perturbation Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses using degenerated perturbation theory to find the first order correction for the ground state of a system with two identical oscillators. The first order correction can be calculated using the formula for the ground state and solving integrals using the Gamma function.
ThiagoSantos
Homework Statement
Determine the first order correction of a system of two identical harmonic oscilators
Relevant Equations
Hˆ =(p1ˆ2 + p2ˆ2+q1ˆ2 +q2ˆ2)/2+fq1ˆ3q2ˆ3. where f is the coupling constant
I tried to use the degenerated perturbation theory but I'm having problems when it comes to diagonalizing the perturbation q1ˆ3q2ˆ3 which I think I need to find the first order correction.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I am rusty, but I try.

According to Wikipedia the first-order correction is
$$\bra{GS} H_{int} \ket{GS}$$
(assuming you want to calculate the correction to the ground state ##\ket{GS}##). Your ground state is the vacuum for both oscillators so ##\ket{GS} = \ket{0}\ket{0}##. Where ##\ket{0} \propto \exp(- \omega_i q_i^2)## with ##i = 1,2##.(here you have two identical oscillators so ##\omega_1 = \omega_2 = 1##). So you just have to calculate:
$$\bra{0}\bra{0} q_1^3 q_2^3 \ket{0} \ket{0}$$
which (if I am not mistaken) will result in integrals of the form
$$\int dq_i q_i^3 e^{-2q_i^2} $$
you can solve this by putting ##t=x^2## (##dt = 2xdx##), which will yield the Gamma function (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_function).

1. What is diagonalization in quantum mechanics?

Diagonalization is a mathematical process used in quantum mechanics to simplify the calculation of energy levels and wavefunctions of a system. It involves transforming the Hamiltonian matrix into a diagonal form, where the off-diagonal elements are all zero.

2. What is q1ˆ3q2ˆ3 in Degenerate Perturbation Theory?

q1ˆ3q2ˆ3 refers to the perturbation term in the Hamiltonian matrix that involves the third power of the first and second quantum numbers. This term is usually present in systems with degenerate energy levels, where the energy levels cannot be distinguished based on their quantum numbers alone.

3. What is Degenerate Perturbation Theory?

Degenerate Perturbation Theory is a method used to calculate the energy levels and wavefunctions of a system with degenerate energy levels. It involves treating the perturbation term in the Hamiltonian matrix as a small correction to the unperturbed energy levels and using perturbation theory to calculate the corrections.

4. How does Degenerate Perturbation Theory work?

Degenerate Perturbation Theory involves diagonalizing the perturbation term in the Hamiltonian matrix to obtain the correction to the energy levels. This is done by finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the perturbation matrix. The corrected energy levels and wavefunctions are then obtained by adding the perturbation correction to the unperturbed energy levels and wavefunctions.

5. When is Degenerate Perturbation Theory useful?

Degenerate Perturbation Theory is useful when dealing with systems with degenerate energy levels, where other methods such as time-independent perturbation theory are not applicable. It allows for the calculation of the energy levels and wavefunctions of these systems with greater accuracy and can also provide insights into the effects of small perturbations on the system.