Second-order correction to energy in degenerate purturbation

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of perturbation theory to a degenerate case. The first solution suggests treating the degenerate eigenvectors separately and using undegenerate perturbation theory. However, the second solution points out that the Hamiltonian is not block diagonal and therefore the entire problem must be treated together. The second solution also raises a question about determining which solution corresponds to which energy state.
Haorong Wu
Homework Statement
If ##H^{'}## is diagonalised, could I treat the problem with non-degenerate purturbation theory?

Here is the problem.

##H_0## has two eigenvalues of ##E_1^0## and ##E_2^0##. The eigenstate of ##E_1^0## is ##\psi _1##, and the two eigenstates of ##E_2^0## are ##\psi_2## and ##\psi_3##. In the space of ##H_0##, ##H^{'}=\begin{pmatrix} 0 & b & c \\ b & -a & 0 \\ c & 0 &a \end{pmatrix}##. What is the second-order corrections to the energies?
Relevant Equations
none
Let's focus on the degenerate case.

Since in the subspace of the denegerate eigenvectors, ##H^{'}=\begin{pmatrix} -a & 0 \\ 0 &a \end{pmatrix}## is diagonal, then I treat ##\psi _2## and ##\psi _3## with the undegenerate perturbation theory. And I got
##E_2=E_2^0+\left < 2 \right | H^{'} \left |2 \right > +\frac {{\left | H^{'}_{12} \right | }^2} {E_2^0 - E_1^0} = E_2^0 -a +\frac {b^2} {E_2^0 - E_1^0}##

##E_3=E_3^0+\left < 3 \right | H^{'} \left |3 \right > +\frac {{\left | H^{'}_{13} \right | }^2} {E_3^0 - E_1^0} = E_3^0 +a +\frac {c^2} {E_2^0 - E_1^0}##

Or should I still appy the second-order correction equations for degenerate perturbation?

Such that, I got
##\begin{pmatrix} G_{22} - E_2^2 & G_{23} \\ G_{32} & G_{33} - E_2^2 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} c_1 \\ c_2 \end{pmatrix} =0##
where ##G_{22}=\frac {{\left | H^{'}_{21} \right | }^2} {E_2^0 - E_1^0}=\frac {b^2} {E_2^0-E_1^0}##, ##G_{33}=\frac {{\left | H^{'}_{31} \right | }^2} {E_2^0 - E_1^0}=\frac {c^2} {E_2^0-E_1^0}##, ##G_{23}=\frac { H^{'}_{21} H^{'}_{13} } {E_2^0 - E_1^0}=\frac {bc} {E_2^0-E_1^0}##, ##G_{32}=\frac { H^{'}_{31} H^{'}_{12} } {E_2^0 - E_1^0}=\frac {bc} {E_2^0-E_1^0}##

Solving the equation then ##E_2^2=\frac {b^2+c^2} {E_2^0-E_1^0}## or ##0##.

So ##E_2 = E_2^0 -a +\frac {b^2+c^2} {E_2^0-E_1^0}##
##E_3 = E_2^0 +a +\frac {b^2+c^2} {E_2^0-E_1^0}##

I am no sure which one is correct. A textbook reads, if the degenerate eigenvectors are splited with the first-order correction, then I should treat the corrected good states with undegenerate perturbation. Could this apply to this problem?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex] H'[/itex] is not block diagonal, so you just can't take out a piece of the Hamiltonian and treat it separately. You have to treat the entire problem.

Dr Transport said:
[itex] H'[/itex] is not block diagonal, so you just can't take out a piece of the Hamiltonian and treat it separately. You have to treat the entire problem.
Thanks, Dr. Transport.

I have another problem. In the second solution, I got ##E_2^2=\frac {b^2+c^2} {E_2^0-E_1^0}## or ##0##; then how should I decide which one goes to ##E_2 = E_2^0 -a + E_2^2## and the other one goes to ##E_3 = E_3^0 +a + E_3^2##? I think that ##E_2^2=\frac {b^2+c^2} {E_2^0-E_1^0}## goes to both ##E_2## and ##E_3## is incorrect.

The Hamiltonian contains 3 states, you'll get three solutions, they could be degenerate. I haven't had time to work this problem independently so I can't say anything more.

1. What is second-order correction to energy in degenerate perturbation theory?

The second-order correction to energy in degenerate perturbation theory is a mathematical approach used to calculate the energy of a quantum system when it is subject to a perturbation, or small change, in its Hamiltonian. It is used when there are multiple degenerate states, or energy levels with the same energy, in the system.

2. How is the second-order correction to energy calculated?

The second-order correction to energy is calculated by using the second-order perturbation theory equation, which involves taking the inner product of the perturbed and unperturbed states and integrating over all possible values. This equation is then solved for the perturbed energy.

3. What is the significance of the second-order correction to energy?

The second-order correction to energy is important because it allows for a more accurate calculation of the energy of a quantum system, taking into account the effects of a perturbation. Without this correction, the energy levels of a degenerate system would not be accurately represented.

4. Can the second-order correction to energy be applied to all quantum systems?

Yes, the second-order correction to energy can be applied to all quantum systems as long as they are subject to a perturbation. However, it is most commonly used for systems with degenerate states.

5. Are there any limitations to the second-order correction to energy?

Yes, there are limitations to the second-order correction to energy. It is only applicable for small perturbations and may not accurately represent the system for larger perturbations. Additionally, it assumes that the perturbation is time-independent and that the perturbed and unperturbed states are orthogonal.