Diagonalizing quadratic forms in WolframAlpha

In summary: It is necessary to use the symbol '*', which is the multiplication operator in Mathematica, instead of 'cdot', which is the multiplication operator in Latex.In summary, the conversation discusses using the Lagrange method to find a change-of-basis matrix and an orthogonal matrix for a symmetric matrix corresponding to a quadratic form. The conversation also mentions using singular value decomposition (SVD) and encountering some difficulties with manipulating and multiplying matrices in WolframAlpha.
Evgeny.Makarov
Gold Member
MHB
Hello,

Suppose I have a vector space $V$ over $\Bbb R$, a quadratic form $f(x)$ over $V$, some basis of $V$ and a symmetric matrix $A$ corresponding to $f$ in that basis, i.e., $f(x)=x^TAx$. Using, for example, the Lagrange method, I can find a change-of-basis matrix $C$ ($x=Cx'$) such that in the new basis the matrix $C^TAC$ of $f$ is diagonal with $1$, $-1$ and $0$ on the diagonal. I can also find an orthogonal matrix $C$ such that $C^TAC$ is diagonal (with arbitrary values on the diagonal). Is it possible to find each of these two decompositions in WolframAlpha? Maybe there is some other online service where this can be done?

A related question. Suppose
\[
A=\begin{pmatrix}
0&1/2&1/2\\
1/2&0&1/2\\
1/2&1/2&0
\end{pmatrix}
\]
and using the Lagrange method I found
\[
D=C^{-1}=\begin{pmatrix}
1/2&1/2&1\\
1/2&-1/2&0\\
0&0&1
\end{pmatrix}
\]
I want to check in WA that
\[
D^T\begin{pmatrix}1&0&0\\0&-1&0\\0&0&-1\end{pmatrix}D=A.
\]
I type the following in WA
Code:
Transpose[{{1/2,1/2,1},{1/2,-1/2,0},{0,0,1}}].{{1,0,0},{0,-1,0},{0,0,-1}}.{{1/2,1/2,1},{1/2,-1/2,0},{0,0,1}}
but it is interpreted as though the function Transpose[] is applied to the product of the three matrices: see here! What's up with that?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not aware of an online tool to do the diagonalizations you ask for.
I do know that W|A will do a singular value decomposition (SVD) for you automatically on any matrix. I think you should be able to deduce your matrices from that.

As for your problem with W|A, I've noticed that it shows indeed some odd behavior when manipulating and multiplying matrices.
However, your immediate problem can be fixed by using * instead of $\cdot$.

Click

Yes, it seems WA does not recognize the Mathematica function Transpose[].

1. What is a quadratic form?

A quadratic form is a mathematical expression that contains only terms of degree two. It is typically in the form of ax^2 + by^2 + cxy + dx + ey + f, where a, b, c, d, e, and f are constants and x and y are variables.

2. How can I diagonalize a quadratic form in WolframAlpha?

To diagonalize a quadratic form in WolframAlpha, you can use the command "Diagonalize[form]" where "form" is the expression of the quadratic form. This will give you the diagonalized form of the quadratic expression.

3. What is the purpose of diagonalizing a quadratic form?

Diagonalizing a quadratic form allows you to simplify the expression and make it easier to work with. It also reveals important information about the characteristics and properties of the form.

4. Can WolframAlpha diagonalize any type of quadratic form?

Yes, WolframAlpha can diagonalize any quadratic form as long as it is in the correct format and follows the rules of diagonalization. However, it may not be able to diagonalize extremely complex or non-standard forms.

5. Is diagonalizing a quadratic form necessary for solving equations?

No, diagonalizing a quadratic form is not always necessary for solving equations. It can be helpful in certain situations, but there are other methods and techniques that can be used to solve equations involving quadratic forms.