Diapl - Difference Image Analysis Package

In summary: It sounds like you're trying to adjust some of the program parameters in order to get better results, but you don't know which ones. I would recommend consulting with a more experienced user for help with that.In summary, Diapl is the program based on DIA by Dr. P. Wazniak to do image subtraction. I use diapl2 to reduce my CCD data. When my CCD images' fwhm is about 5 pixels, the results are good, but when the fwhm is 15 pixels (my scale is about 0.28/pixel), the subtracted images are bad. I know that I must adjust the parameters in diapl2, but I do not know whose parameters should
yba
Diapl is the program based on DIA by Dr. P. Wazniak to do image subtraction. I use diapl2 to reduce my CCD data. When my CCD images' fwhm is about 5 pixels, the results are good, but when the fwhm is 15 pixels (my scale is about 0."28/pixel), the subtracted images are bad. I know that I must adjust the parameters in diapl2, but I do not know whose parameters should be adjused , especially the 'getpsf.par' which has so many parameters. I hope to get help from experienced users.
Thanks in advance.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
What exactly are you trying to do with your images? What are you subtracting from them?

I use diapl2 to reduce the globular clusters, subtract the constant stars' images and get the variables on the subtracted CCD frames, just as others do. I exactly follow the manual of diapl, step by step, do not change the parameters of diapl2 (except the necessary changes, for example, my CCD gain, min fwhm, maxfwhm etc.).
My fwhm varied from about 5 pixels to 15 pixels within one night. The subtracted images are good for small fwhm CCD frames, but bad for large ones. The 'bad' means:
1. On the subtracted frames, the constant stars do not disappear, e.g., they have remained rings around the core of the stars. Obviously, at least I should enlarge the value of the psf radius. But I do not know, when I change the value of the psf radius, which other parameters should I also change together, because I do not know the meaning of these parameters?
2. In order to check my results, I plot the light curve so obtained for very well known variable stars. There are large scatter at the points of the light curve obtained from large fwhm CCD frames, but small scatter at other points.

Is it possible please tell me which parameters should be changed together?
Thank you very much.

Hmmm, I think this is a little beyond my knowledge. I'm just an amateur astrophotographer and I don't use the same program as you do.

I understand the importance of accurately analyzing images in order to draw meaningful conclusions from them. Diapl, or the Difference Image Analysis Package, is a valuable tool for performing image subtraction and reducing CCD data. However, it is important to note that the quality of the results can vary depending on the input parameters and the characteristics of the images being analyzed.

In this case, it seems that the issue lies with the FWHM, or Full Width at Half Maximum, of the images. This is a measure of the width of the point spread function (PSF) of the telescope, which can affect the quality of the subtracted images. It is recommended to adjust the parameters in the 'getpsf.par' file, which controls the PSF fitting process.

I understand that this can be a daunting task, especially for new users. My suggestion would be to consult with experienced users or refer to the documentation provided by the program. It may also be helpful to experiment with different parameter values to find the best fit for your particular data.

In conclusion, Diapl is a powerful program for image subtraction and data reduction, but it is important to carefully consider the input parameters in order to achieve accurate results. I hope this information helps and I wish you success in your analysis.

Related to Diapl - Difference Image Analysis Package

1. What is Diapl?

Diapl is an image analysis package used in scientific research for quantifying and analyzing differences between two images. It is commonly used in fields such as biology, medicine, and engineering.

2. How does Diapl work?

Diapl uses advanced algorithms and statistical methods to compare two images and identify differences between them. It takes into account various factors such as image resolution, noise, and background variations to provide accurate results.

3. What types of images can be analyzed with Diapl?

Diapl can analyze a wide range of images, including microscopy images, satellite images, and even photographs. As long as the images are in a digital format, Diapl can analyze them.

4. Is Diapl user-friendly?

Yes, Diapl is designed to be user-friendly and does not require extensive technical knowledge to operate. It has a user-friendly interface and provides step-by-step instructions for image analysis.

5. How accurate are the results from Diapl?

The accuracy of the results from Diapl depends on the quality of the images and the settings chosen by the user. With proper calibration and optimization, Diapl can provide highly accurate results with low error rates.