What are the differences between the two package types for MIC29302?

• Thread starter bitfoic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusion
In summary, the person is looking for information on the part MIC29302 and is confused about the differences between the two images of the part on different websites. Another person suggests that the difference may be in the package type and advises to check the full series datasheet for more information. The person also mentions that the part number composition for the series can be confusing and advises to always refer to the manufacturer's datasheet for accurate information. They also provide a link to the datasheet for further reference.
bitfoic
Hi, everyone! I am new here with my confusion. I search a part MIC29302 as I was looking for its datasheet. I know MIC29302 is a series. I check the part information on the website called [Spam reference redacted by the Mentors] and its official manufacturer microchip. I found that there are two images of this part on both two websites. The five pins in one of the images are bent and another is straight. What is the difference between the two types of pins? Is the difference only in the package? I am not sure whether I am right. Who can solve my confusion?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
With the same basic part number, the function of the two chips would be the same.

If you look at the last few pages of the data sheet(s) you will probably find that the final few characters of the part number (actually ordering number) differ between the two. That way you can order the pin shape you need for your particular assembly.

Since you did not give a link to the parts in question, I did not look them up specifically.

From your brief description I am assuming that one of the styles is for "thru hole" mounting on a circuit bouard where holes are drilled thru the board so that the pins are inserted into the holes and then soldered.

The other style would be where the pins are bent outward, away from the package, so they can be placed on the surface of a circuit board and then soldered, "surface mount".

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Tom

If you found only two packages, then you missed some. According to the full series datasheet, it's three SMD and three TH types, with three (fixed voltage) or five (adjustable) pins.
The part number composition for the series is even more of a mess.

It's a bother, but always dig till you find the complete datasheet, and then try to link up the part numbers, functions and package info according to that and that only.

Likes DaveE
To add to the confusion for exactly the same silicon it is possible some chips will have pins bent "inward" (under the chip itself) and some will have no legs at all, just contacts on the belly. Plenty of different packages.

But the devil is in the details, there is no standard way of naming such chips and actually there is no way to be sure what you have/need - even full datasheet from the manufacturer can be sometimes misleading.

Last edited by a moderator:
bitfoic said:
The five pins in one of the images are bent and another is straight. What is the difference between the two types of pins? Is the difference only in the package? I am not sure whether I am right. Who can solve my confusion?
The different packages are usually specified in the part number suffix.

Where the thermal or electrical specifications differ for different package types, there will be multiple columns for the specification data.

The last few pages of a datasheet usually give the physical dimensions of the different packages available.

The manufacturer's datasheet is worth reading.
https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads...urrent-Low-Dropout-Regulators-DS20005685B.pdf

1. What are the two package types for MIC29302?

The two package types for MIC29302 are TO-220 and SOIC-8.

2. What is the difference in size between the TO-220 and SOIC-8 package types?

The TO-220 package is larger in size compared to the SOIC-8 package. The TO-220 package measures approximately 10.16mm x 15.24mm, while the SOIC-8 package measures approximately 5.3mm x 6.5mm.

3. How do the two package types differ in terms of thermal resistance?

The TO-220 package has a lower thermal resistance compared to the SOIC-8 package. The TO-220 package has a thermal resistance of 1.5°C/W, while the SOIC-8 package has a thermal resistance of 15°C/W.

4. Are there any differences in the maximum power dissipation between the two package types?

Yes, there is a difference in the maximum power dissipation between the TO-220 and SOIC-8 package types. The TO-220 package has a maximum power dissipation of 3.5W, while the SOIC-8 package has a maximum power dissipation of 2W.

5. Which package type is more suitable for high power applications?

The TO-220 package is more suitable for high power applications due to its lower thermal resistance and higher maximum power dissipation compared to the SOIC-8 package.