Dictionary Order Topology on ##\mathbb{R}^2## Metrizable?

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topology
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a metric on ##\mathbb{R}^2## that induces the dictionary order topology on the plane. The speaker is trying to define a metric that makes the corresponding ##\epsilon##-balls vertical strips, but is unsure if their proposed function is valid. They suggest using ##\infty## as a placeholder, but later realize that limiting the balls to a radius less than ##1## effectively acts as ##\infty##. The speaker also expresses interest in knowing if their initial function is a valid metric.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

I am trying to show that there exists a metric on ##\mathbb{R}^2## that induces the dictionary order topology on the plane.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If I recall correctly, vertical intervals in the plane form basis elements for the dictionary order topology. With this in mind, I am trying to define a metric such that the corresponding ##\epsilon##-balls are vertical strips. The only function that I could come up with is

$$d((x,y),(w,z)) = \begin{cases} \infty ,& x \neq w \\
|y-z| ,& x=w \\ \end{cases}
$$

Based on my work, it seems that this is a well-defined metric. However, somehow I feel that I am cheating by using ##\infty##. Is this in fact a valid metric?

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I think I may have a way to "fix" this, though I would still be interested in knowing if the above defines a valid metric. When dealing with a metric induced topology whose basis elements are ##\epsilon##-balls, it suffices to look at those ##\epsilon##-balls with radius less than ##1##. Now, if we replace ##\infty## in the above function and confine ourselves to dealing with ##\epsilon##-balls of radius less than ##1## , then the metric will restrict the balls from containing points "off" the vertical line.

More precisely, if ##(a,b) \in B((x,y), \epsilon)## and ##a = x##, then ##d((x,y),(a,b)) = 1 > \epsilon##, a contradiction. So, if ##(a,b)## is a point in the ball, then necessarily ##a \neq x## and therefore ##d((x,y),(a,b)) = |y-a| < \epsilon## or ##a \in (y-\epsilon,y+\epsilon)##. This, of course, suggests that ##B((x,y),\epsilon) = \{x\} \times (y-\epsilon,y+\epsilon)##, which is a basis element of the dictionary order topology. In this case, ##1## effectively acts as ##\infty##.

As I mentioned above, I would still be interested in knowing whether the function in my first post defines a valid metric.

1. What is the Dictionary Order Topology on ##\mathbb{R}^2## Metrizable?

The Dictionary Order Topology on ##\mathbb{R}^2## is a specific topology on the Cartesian product of the real line with itself. It is defined by taking the Cartesian product of ##\mathbb{R}^2## with itself and ordering the resulting elements in a dictionary-like manner. This topology is metrizable, meaning it can be described by a metric space, and is often used to study ordered sets and their properties.

2. How is the Dictionary Order Topology on ##\mathbb{R}^2## different from the standard topology on ##\mathbb{R}^2##?

While the standard topology on ##\mathbb{R}^2## is defined using open balls, the Dictionary Order Topology on ##\mathbb{R}^2## is defined using open intervals. This means that the open sets in the Dictionary Order Topology may look different from those in the standard topology, and their properties may also differ.

3. What are the advantages of using the Dictionary Order Topology on ##\mathbb{R}^2## in research?

The Dictionary Order Topology on ##\mathbb{R}^2## has many useful properties that make it a valuable tool in research. It is a metrizable space, meaning it is well-behaved and can be described using a metric function. It is also a Hausdorff space, meaning any two distinct points have non-overlapping neighborhoods. Additionally, it is a locally compact space, meaning every point has a compact neighborhood, making it useful for studying convergence and continuity properties.

4. Can the Dictionary Order Topology on ##\mathbb{R}^2## be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Dictionary Order Topology can be extended to any finite number of dimensions. The Cartesian product of n copies of ##\mathbb{R}##, denoted by ##\mathbb{R}^n##, can be equipped with the Dictionary Order Topology in the same way as ##\mathbb{R}^2##, by ordering the elements using a dictionary-like ordering. This extended topology also shares many of the useful properties of the Dictionary Order Topology on ##\mathbb{R}^2##.

5. How is the Dictionary Order Topology on ##\mathbb{R}^2## related to other common topologies?

The Dictionary Order Topology on ##\mathbb{R}^2## is closely related to the standard topology on ##\mathbb{R}^2##, as well as the order topology on ##\mathbb{R}^2##. In fact, the Dictionary Order Topology can be seen as a combination of these two topologies. It is also related to the product topology, as it is a special case of the product topology on ##\mathbb{R}^2##. Additionally, the Dictionary Order Topology on ##\mathbb{R}^2## can be used to construct other topological spaces, such as the Sorgenfrey line.