Did I correctly prove the divergence of this series?

In summary, the conversation discusses verifying the divergence of an infinite series using the n-th term test and algebraic manipulation. The series in question is (2^(n)+1)/2^(n+1), and the conversation confirms that the n-th term test is the easiest approach to use. The conversation also discusses simplifying the series using algebra and confirms that the algebraic manipulations used are correct.
mathnoobie

Homework Statement

Verify that the infinite series diverges.
I have the series from n=1 to infinity of (2^(n)+1/2^(n+1)

Homework Equations

Nth term test(This is the way the book did it but I did it used the geometric series test
and I just want to verify if my Algebra was correct)

The Attempt at a Solution

First I split the series into two separate series and let the series go from n=0 to infinity.
So I have 2^(n+1)/2^(n+2) add 1/2^(n+2).
I believe I can then bring down the some of the exponents and simplify to
2*2^n/4*2^n add 1/4*2^n
so for the first series I let a=1/2 and r=1^n
because |r|=|1| is greater than or equal to 1, the series diverges.
I completely ignored the second series that I made because its irrelevant to simplify
as I already know the first series diverges.

Is this proof valid and was my algebra correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
mathnoobie said:

Homework Statement

Verify that the infinite series diverges.
I have the series from n=1 to infinity of (2^(n)+1/2^(n+1)
Is this your series?

$$ \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \left(2^n + \frac{1}{2^{n+1}}\right)$$

You are missing a right paren, so I'm not sure what you intended.

The easiest approach is the n-th term test for divergence. It seems like a lot of extra work to try to make this series look like a geometric series, for which the general term is arn.
mathnoobie said:

Homework Equations

Nth term test(This is the way the book did it but I did it used the geometric series test
and I just want to verify if my Algebra was correct)

The Attempt at a Solution

First I split the series into two separate series and let the series go from n=0 to infinity.
2*2^n/4*2^n add 1/4*2^n
I completely ignored the second series that I made because its irrelevant to simplify

Is this proof valid and was my algebra correct?

Mark44 said:
Is this your series?

$$ \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \left(2^n + \frac{1}{2^{n+1}}\right)$$

You are missing a right paren, so I'm not sure what you intended.

The easiest approach is the n-th term test for divergence. It seems like a lot of extra work to try to make this series look like a geometric series, for which the general term is arn.

(2^(n)+1)/2^(n+1)

I apologize for the confusion, that is my series.
I agree that the easiest approach is the n-th term test, however I don't always see the easiest approach every single time.
The problem with series is that you can do the wrong thing and still get the right answer, I just want to make sure my proof was right
since I got the right answer.

mathnoobie said:
I agree that the easiest approach is the n-th term test, however I don't always see the easiest approach every single time.

I think that if you're given a series, that the first thing you should always try is the n-th term test. If you don't find it using that, then you can move on. But the n-th term test is usually a lot easier than the other tests.

micromass said:
I think that if you're given a series, that the first thing you should always try is the n-th term test. If you don't find it using that, then you can move on. But the n-th term test is usually a lot easier than the other tests.

Thank you for the advice, I will always do that from now on. I kinda saw that I should've done that halfway through the problem but I thought to myself why not finish it.

Could anyone though please confirm if my Algebra was correct? I have a test coming up and there will be geometric series that require this kind of algebraic manipulation and I just want to know if everything I did algebraically was correct.
I mostly just need to know if the exponent rule I did was right.
Like when you have 2^(n+2), its actually 2^2 * 2^n. This is a valid right?

mathnoobie said:
(2^(n)+1)/2^(n+1)
Like so:
So this is your series.
$$ \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \left( \frac{2^n + 1}{2^{n+1}} \right)$$
mathnoobie said:
I apologize for the confusion, that is my series.
But you should try the easy approaches first, and the n-th term test for divergence is probably the easiest of all the tests.
mathnoobie said:
The problem with series is that you can do the wrong thing and still get the right answer, I just want to make sure my proof was right
since I got the right answer.

Here's from your first post...
mathnoobie said:
Wouldn't it have been simpler to leave the index starting from 1?
Then you would have 2^n/(2^(n + 1)) + 1/(2^(n + 1)).
mathnoobie said:
2*2^n/4*2^n add 1/4*2^n
Use + instead of "add".
2^n/(2^(n + 1)) + 1/(2^(n + 1)) = 1/2 + 1/(2^(n + 1)).

The first part of what you have is correct, but can be greatly simplified.
2*2^n/4*2^n = 1/2
mathnoobie said:
No. For a geometric series r has to be a constant. Of course, for any finite n, 1^n is 1, so was this a typo?

Your first series is $$ \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2} $$
This is not a geometric series.

mathnoobie said:

mathnoobie said:
Thank you for the advice, I will always do that from now on. I kinda saw that I should've done that halfway through the problem but I thought to myself why not finish it.

Could anyone though please confirm if my Algebra was correct? I have a test coming up and there will be geometric series that require this kind of algebraic manipulation and I just want to know if everything I did algebraically was correct.
I mostly just need to know if the exponent rule I did was right.
Like when you have 2^(n+2), its actually 2^2 * 2^n. This is a valid right?

Your algebra was perfectly fine.

But there was a mistake in the proof: you split the series in two parts

[tex]\sum{a_n+b_n}=\sum a_n +\sum b_n[/tex]

and deduce from that that a series in the right hand side diverges, thus the left-hand side diverges as well. This is not true. For example

[tex]\sum{1-1}=\sum 1 - \sum 1[/tex]

the two series in the right-hand side diverge, but the left-hand side does not diverge.

The rule

only holds if both [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] as [itex]\sum b_n[/itex] converge. If both diverge, then there is nothing that can be said.

Thank you guys so much for the thorough explanations! I really need to review my property of series. My biggest concern was the algebra but thankfully I did that right.
As for the use of add, I thought it would be easier to read if I used add instead of +(not sure why).

micromass said:
Your algebra was perfectly fine.

But there was a mistake in the proof: you split the series in two parts

and deduce from that that a series in the right hand side diverges, thus the left-hand side diverges as well. This is not true. For example

[tex]\sum{1-1}=\sum 1 - \sum 1[/tex]

the two series in the right-hand side diverge, but the left-hand side does not diverge.

The rule

only holds if both [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] as [itex]\sum b_n[/itex] converge. If both diverge, then there is nothing that can be said.
Well, if [itex]a_n> 0[/itex], [itex]b_n> 0[/itex], and that is the situation here, and either [itex]\sum a_n[/itex], or [itex]\sum b_n[/itex], or both diverge, then [itex]\sum (a_n+ b_n)[/itex] diverges.

One point that micromass made was very pertinent - about splitting series into parts and when you can do that. That thought came to mind while I was writing a response, but I didn't include it, so I'm glad he did.

Related to Did I correctly prove the divergence of this series?

1. What is the definition of divergence of a series?

The divergence of a series is a mathematical concept that refers to the behavior of a series as its terms continue to increase. If the terms of a series become infinitely large, the series is said to diverge. This is in contrast to a convergent series, where the terms approach a finite limit as the series continues.

2. How do I prove the divergence of a series?

To prove the divergence of a series, you must show that the limit of the series' terms as n approaches infinity is either infinity or does not exist. This can be done using various mathematical techniques, such as the comparison test, the ratio test, or the integral test.

3. What are some common mistakes when proving the divergence of a series?

One common mistake is assuming that a series diverges just because its terms increase. It is important to also consider the rate at which the terms increase. Another mistake is using the wrong test to prove divergence, as different series may require different tests for proof.

4. Can a series be both convergent and divergent?

No, a series can only be either convergent or divergent. If a series' terms approach a finite limit, it is convergent. If the terms become infinitely large, it is divergent.

5. Why is proving divergence important in mathematics?

Proving divergence is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a series and determine its convergence or divergence. This information is crucial in many mathematical applications, such as in calculus and differential equations, and can also have practical implications in fields such as physics and engineering.