Did I do this complex analysis proof right?

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that if c is any nth root of unity other than unity itself, then the expression 1 + c + c^2 + ... + c^(n-1) is equal to 0. The conversation goes on to show the proof using the equation 1 + z + z^2 + ... + z^n = (1 - z^(n+1)) / (1 - z) and concludes that since c is not unity itself, c^n is not equal to 1.
tylerc1991

Homework Statement

Show that if c is any nth root of unity other than unity itself that:

1 + c + c^2 + ... + c^(n-1) = 0

Homework Equations

1 + z + z^2 + ... + z^n = (1 - z^(n+1)) / (1 - z)

The Attempt at a Solution

c is an nth root of unity other than unity itself => (1-c) =/= 0.
so,
1 + c + c^2 + ... + c^(n-1) = (1 - c^n) / (1 - c) (= 0 by assumption)
hence,
(1 - c)(1 + c + c^2 + ... + c^(n-1)) = 0
so either (1 - c) = 0 or (1 + c + c^2 + ... + c^(n-1)) = 0

but (1 - c) =/= 0 by definition

so (1 + c + c^2 + ... + c^(n-1)) = 0

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure. That looks fine to me. Except instead of saying (= 0 by assumption) I would say (= 0 since c^n=1).

but since c is not unity itself doesn't that mean that c^n =/= 1? or is it that just c =/= 1?

tylerc1991 said:
but since c is not unity itself doesn't that mean that c^n =/= 1? or is it that just c =/= 1?

Wasn't the 'assumption' you were talking about that c is an nth root of unity? Doesn't that mean c^n=1??

oh right, the roots of unity raised to any power = 1, i got it now, thank you!

Last edited:

Related to Did I do this complex analysis proof right?

1. How do I know if my complex analysis proof is correct?

There are a few ways to determine if your proof is correct. First, you can go through each step of your proof and make sure it follows logically from the previous steps. You can also try to find a counterexample or a case where your proof does not hold. Additionally, you can consult with other experts in the field or refer to reputable sources to compare your proof to existing ones.

2. What is the most challenging aspect of doing a complex analysis proof?

The most challenging aspect of doing a complex analysis proof is often understanding and applying the complex analysis concepts and theorems correctly. This requires a strong foundation in mathematics and a deep understanding of the specific problem at hand. It also involves being able to think abstractly and creatively to come up with a proof that is both rigorous and elegant.

3. How do I know if I have provided enough detail in my complex analysis proof?

Providing enough detail in a complex analysis proof is crucial for ensuring its correctness. One way to determine if you have provided enough detail is to imagine that you are explaining the proof to someone who is not familiar with the topic. Make sure to include all necessary definitions, theorems, and calculations. Additionally, ask yourself if your proof is clear and easy to follow.

4. What should I do if I am stuck on a step in my complex analysis proof?

If you are stuck on a step in your complex analysis proof, there are a few things you can do. First, take a break and come back to it with a fresh perspective. You can also try to approach the problem from a different angle or consult with other experts in the field. It may also be helpful to look at similar proofs or examples to gain insight on how to proceed.

5. Is it possible to have multiple correct proofs for a complex analysis problem?

Yes, it is possible to have multiple correct proofs for a complex analysis problem. In mathematics, there is often more than one way to approach a problem and arrive at a correct solution. However, some proofs may be more elegant or efficient than others. It is important to understand and appreciate different approaches to a problem, even if they ultimately lead to the same result.