Did Installing ENDFVII Fix the MCNP5 Error in Routine IMCN?

In summary, Jedishrfu thinks that the error you're seeing is caused by a combination of trailing spaces on the input cards and a missing library. He advises attaching the output file to a post so that others can see it and try to find a solution.
Limitzone
TL;DR Summary
i am getting an error which reas as follows :
bad trouble in imcn in routine imcn source particle no error getting memorybly a control character,in coulumn 32
mcnp5

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you tried to use google to search on the text of the error message?

mncp5 error: bad trouble in imcn in routine imcn source particle no error getting memorybly a control character,in coulumn 32

Sometimes other folks have had the same issue and you may find a solution.

We also have several threads at PF (shown below on the web page) where posters had similar problems with mncp5.

@Limitzone
Rename your output file to add .txt to the end, then attach it to a post.

okey thank you bro

Attachments

• PWR.txt
    3.7 KB · Views: 88
While I'm not familiar with MNCP5, I looked through your file and noticed a few non-comment lines that had trailing spaces. There were a few lines with $ comments I think with trailing spaces too but I didn't think they would cause a problem.

See lines 85, 86 below which have an extra space at the end:

Code:
        40091.81c -1.10237E-01
        40092.81c -1.68499E-01

Could trailing spaces on your input cards cause the error you see?

I also saw a few blank lines, at lines 44, 59, 110, and 111. Should they instead be comment lines ie start with a "c"?

Lastly, should line #2 be a comment line eg c234567890123456789012 which I assume you added to locate column 32.

When I change line 2 to
Code:
c 345678901234567890123456789012
the only thing that stops me running it is that I don't have ENDF VIII installed. When I make the changes to get it to run with the library native to 5, ENDF VI, (I removed .81c from the end of materials, and tin entirely), it just runs fine and gives a keff of 1.28.

Your actual error is strange btw, if it's 100% char for char your error. It looks like two normal MCNP5 errors smashed into one another. Reading the output file may provide more detail. I did ask for that, not the input file btw :) My thoughts now are maybe ENDF VIII is so new it's breaking the old MCNP 5 code. I may try installing ENDF VIII, but it needs a lot of disc space. Long and painful past experience makes me not trust very new libraries with old code. What version of 5 are you using and in what OS? It is also possible it's a linefeed or carriage return code issue which might be OS dependent. I ran with 5.1.60, which was the last release of 5, in linux.

@jedishrfu Just an FYI, the first two blank lines, in this case at 44 and 59, tell MCNP when the cell section and surface section end. Some aspects are quite arcane.

Likes jedishrfu
.81c turns out to be ENDFVII, not VIII and I installed that. All the libraries can just be downloaded from here if anyone wants them.
With only the "c 3" change 5.1.60 is working so my main thought wasn't right.

What is ENDFVII?

ENDFVII stands for Evaluated Nuclear Data File version VII. It is a library of nuclear data used in various nuclear applications, including the Monte Carlo N-Particle (MCNP) code.

What is MCNP5?

MCNP5 is a Monte Carlo N-Particle code used for simulating and analyzing nuclear systems. It is widely used in the nuclear industry for various applications, such as reactor design and radiation shielding analysis.

What is the routine IMCN?

The routine IMCN is a specific subroutine within the MCNP5 code that handles the calculation of neutron cross sections. It is an essential part of the code and any errors in this routine can significantly affect the accuracy of the simulation results.

What was the error in routine IMCN?

The error in routine IMCN was related to the use of outdated nuclear data. The previous version of ENDF, ENDFVI, contained errors and inconsistencies that affected the accuracy of the calculations in routine IMCN.

Did installing ENDFVII fix the MCNP5 error in routine IMCN?

Yes, installing ENDFVII fixed the error in routine IMCN. The updated nuclear data in ENDFVII corrected the errors and inconsistencies present in the previous version, ENDFVI, which improved the accuracy of the calculations in routine IMCN and the overall performance of MCNP5.