Did the book make a mistake? Air friction and Drag-Force problem

In summary, according to Eq. 6-14, the drag force on a stone is related to the speed of the wind along the ground. If the stone is moving at a slower speed than the wind, the drag force will be stronger than if the stone was moving at the same speed as the wind.
Nathanael
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Now assume that Eq. 6-14 gives the magnitude of the air drag force on the typical 20 kg stone, which presents to the wind a vertical cross-sectional area of 0.040 m^2 and has a drag coefficient C of 0.80. Take the air density to be 1.21 kg/m^3, and the coefficient of kinetic friction to be 0.80. (a) In kilometers per hour, what wind speed V along the ground is needed to maintain the stone’s motion once it has started moving?

Homework Equations

So called "Eq. 6-14" is: Drag-Force = (C*ρ*A*v^2)*(1/2)

C is "the drag coefficient" A is the "effective cross sectional area" ρ is the density and v is velocity.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've solved the problem and my answer is right, according to the book. The reason I ask this question is because I don't actually think it's the right answer and I want help clearing up my misunderstanding.

The answer is about 320 km/hr but I think the actual depends on another unspecified variable (the speed that the stone has relative to the ground.)

It says in the chapter that this problem is from (Ch.6; Fundamentals of Physics 9th ed.; Resnick/Hallidy):
"the magnitude of the drag force is related to the relative speed v" (between the fluid and body)

Doesn't this mean that the answer of 320 km/hr is not actually the speed of the wind "along the ground" as the problem specifically says to find, but instead is the speed of the wind relative to the speed of the block?

Did they just make a careless mistake or am I missing something here?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right. But the minimum wind speed would be expected to be that which rolls the pebble with minimal speed, i.e., the speed of the pebble barely exceeding 0 m/s.

So the answer seems acceptable. :smile:

You should state the problem completely or we can't be of much help to you.

1. What is air friction and drag-force?

Air friction and drag-force are both types of forces that act upon objects moving through a fluid, such as air. Air friction is the resistance that air exerts on an object, while drag-force is the force that opposes the motion of an object through the fluid.

2. How does air friction and drag-force affect an object?

Air friction and drag-force can both slow down an object's motion by creating a force in the opposite direction. This can be seen when objects such as planes or cars experience resistance from the air as they move through it.

3. Can air friction and drag-force be calculated?

Yes, both air friction and drag-force can be calculated using mathematical equations. These equations take into account factors such as the object's shape, speed, and the properties of the fluid it is moving through.

4. Can air friction and drag-force be reduced?

Yes, it is possible to reduce the effects of air friction and drag-force on an object. This can be done by changing the object's shape to be more streamlined, or by using materials that are less affected by these forces.

5. How do air friction and drag-force impact everyday life?

Air friction and drag-force play a significant role in many aspects of everyday life. For example, they are important considerations in the design of vehicles and buildings, and can also affect sports such as cycling and skiing. Understanding these forces is crucial in many fields, including engineering and physics.