Did your DNA test results change when using a second company to do the test?

In summary: Lebanon. I think you are referring to the fact that some people's ancestry is found in more than one region. Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about.
Clarki
TL;DR Summary
My DNA tests are not the same. 23&M and MyHeritage did these, and the lower percentages in the make-up differ.
Here's the story:
I did the 23&Me and it told me that I was about 90% X but then there was among the smaller %ages a Y = French
Later, about a year later, I checked it again. The French ancestry had disappeared. There was still 90% X, but now I had a Y = Scandinavia.

So, I ran the test again with MyHeritage

X was about the same at about 90% X. Scandinavia had vanished. New Ys = Finnish and Iberian.

Is it normal to get this sort of variation on the lower %ages between tests?

(I also wonder about the basis of 23&Me changing French to Scand.)

What are you thoughts?

Biology news on Phys.org
Follow up,..I just read somewhere else that 23&Me changed their system of assessment. This meant that results changed. But...if a system change means that French vanishes and is replaced by Scandinavia then what is the point of it at all? The entire point is to know origins. France and Scandinavia are not the same...ugh! See my facepalm.
I still don't know what Iberia has to do with any of it, they are totally different genomes in this thing.

It would be nice if they gave the raw data and the algorithms used to compute X and Y (including their definition of French, Scandinavia, etc.) .

Keith_McClary said:
It would be nice if they gave the raw data and the algorithms used to compute X and Y (including their definition of French, Scandinavia, etc.) .
Yes it would indeed. My old Scandinavia DNA could be my new Finnish DNA. But, where does the Iberian stuff suddenly appear from. I will do a 3rd test with AncestryDNA.

Here's a good piece about DNA ancestry testing:
When it comes to ancestry, DNA is very good at determining close family relations such as siblings or parents, and dozens of stories are emerging that reunite or identify lost close family members (or indeed criminals). For deeper family roots, these tests do not really tell you where your ancestors came from. They say where DNA like yours can be found on Earth today. By inference, we are to assume that significant proportions of our deep family came from those places. But to say that you are 20 percent Irish, 4 percent Native American or 12 percent Scandinavian is fun, trivial and has very little scientific meaning. We all have thousands of ancestors, and our family trees become matted webs as we go back in time, which means that before long, our ancestors become everyone’s ancestors. Humankind is fascinatingly closely related, and DNA will tell you little about your culture, history and identity.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-accurate-are-online-dna-tests/

There has likely been sufficient mixing between human populations (especially populations in Europe), that it would not surprise me if most European populations were very similar and it would be hard to distinguish ancestry between specific regions of Europe.

Likes Oldman too and Evo
OK, but again.
Two different companies. One said Northern European DNA but no Southern DNA.
One said Northern European DNA and Southern European DNA
Does lab testing miss such a major difference? North and South are different genomes.
"Iberian" DNA should appear on both tests because it is a different genome - why didn't it show on both tests? Is it so easy to miss? So, I dunno, it goes around and around. I'll do a third test just to see if it falls one way or the other.

Okay. You are not getting the point. Your assumptions need some tweaking.

200 years ago almost all people in the world were born, grew up, and died within about a 50 mile radius.
Because of unrest, famines, and wars people in the 20th and 21st centuries have moved and are still moving. An incredible amount. Look at the recent flood of refugees from Lebanon.

So pretend I am a geneticist and I sample genes in people from, say, a very isolated population. I would expect to see certain marker genes, right? Nope. That does not happen anymore. I could see all kinds of anomalous, out of place genes. Example: Genes from Northern Germany are very common in La Cumbrecita Argentina. People there are fluent in German. Can figure out why? Is it magic? So what if your Mom said she was originally from Argentina? Then what? Then there is Dearborn MI. Arabic. Or central Market Street in San Francisco. Chinese. The list goes on.

These tests work on probabilities - X haplotype implies Y parentage about Z% of the time. And with more datasets or different datasets sometimes you do not get identical answers to that question. Plus, the tests can only look at a relatively small number of the 100K genes you have. And still be affordable. Ancestry.com has the largest data set as of 2019.

Per:
https://thednageek.com/genealogical-database-growth-slows/

I oversimplified but so did you. Testing companies explain markers they use and the probability of them being perfectly correct. Go do some reading.

1. How accurate are DNA test results from different companies?

The accuracy of DNA test results can vary between different companies. This is because each company uses different methods and databases to analyze and interpret the DNA data. It is important to research and compare the accuracy and reputation of different companies before choosing one for your test.

2. Can the results from a DNA test change when using a different company?

Yes, the results from a DNA test can change when using a different company. This is because each company has its own unique algorithms and databases for analyzing and interpreting DNA data. Additionally, the quality and quantity of the DNA sample can also affect the results.

3. Why would someone want to use a different company for a DNA test?

There are a few reasons why someone may want to use a different company for a DNA test. One reason could be to confirm the accuracy of the results from a previous test. Another reason could be to access different types of DNA analysis, such as health or ancestry information. Additionally, some companies may offer more affordable or comprehensive testing options.

4. How do I know which DNA test company to choose?

Choosing a DNA test company can be overwhelming, but there are a few factors to consider. It is important to research the company's reputation, accuracy, and privacy policies. You should also consider your specific reasons for taking the test and which company offers the best options for your needs. It may also be helpful to read reviews and compare prices.

5. Will the results from a second DNA test be the same as the first?

The results from a second DNA test may not be exactly the same as the first, even if both tests are done by the same company. This is because DNA analysis is not an exact science and results can vary due to factors such as the quality of the DNA sample and the methods used by the company. However, the overall genetic information and ancestry results should be similar between tests.