Dielectrics: Guass Law & Polarization Charge Density

• Thread starter y.moghadamnia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dielectrics
In summary, the conversation is about understanding dielectrics and a new vector field for displacement that is not necessarily conservative. The speaker is questioning the complexity of how this information is presented in books and mentions a polarization charge density at the interface between dielectrics and conductors. They also mention a specific book and ask for clarification or input from others who may be familiar with it.
y.moghadamnia
here is the thing, I have understood this in dielectrics, and I know that we have a new vector field instead of E, the displacement that is not neccessarily conservative. what I was thinking is that all these books, when they want to drag this law out of the info we already had, just try to make is as complicated as possible, that we have condustors inside dielectrics and stuff, and they have a polarization charge density for the conductors, how is that? I am talking about the milford or nayfeh book. if u guys know about, please let me know.
thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
The book probably just has poor wording. They probably mean there is a polarization charge in the dielectric material at the surface where the dielectrics material touches the conductor.

Related to Dielectrics: Guass Law & Polarization Charge Density

1. What is a dielectric?

A dielectric is a material that does not conduct electricity well, but can store electric charge and affect the electric field. Examples of dielectric materials include rubber, glass, and plastic.

2. What is Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed within that surface. It can be written as ΦE = qenc0, where ΦE is the electric flux, qenc is the enclosed charge, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

3. How are dielectrics affected by an electric field?

When a dielectric is placed in an electric field, its molecules become polarized. This means that the positive and negative charges within the molecule are separated, creating an induced dipole moment. This polarization of the dielectric leads to a reduction in the overall electric field within the material.

4. What is polarization charge density?

Polarization charge density is the electric charge per unit area that is induced on the surface of a dielectric material when it is placed in an electric field. It is denoted by σp and is equal to the product of the electric field and the dipole moment per unit volume of the material.

5. How do dielectrics affect capacitance?

Dielectrics increase the capacitance of a capacitor by reducing the electric field within the material. This is due to the polarization of the dielectric, which creates an opposing electric field. As a result, more charge can be stored on the plates of the capacitor, leading to an increased capacitance.