A dielectric plate and a point charge: the problem with series

In summary, the problem of the interaction of a point charge with a dielectric plate of finite thickness leads to the existence of an infinite series of image charges. The original charge is in a medium with a dielectric constant and is at a distance from a plate made of a material with a different dielectric constant. To determine the image charges, we can use the notations introduced in a previous work. The first two image charges are found to be proportional to the original charge and are at distances of 2d and 2(c+d) from it. However, the author does not use mirror images in the same way and instead talks about corrections to surface density. The first correction results in an image charge with a different sign and at a
reterty
The problem of the interaction of a point charge with a dielectric plate of finite thickness implies the existence of an infinite series of image charges (see http://www.lorentzcenter.nl/lc/web/2011/466/problems/2/Sometani00.pdf). I introduce notations identical to those used in this work. The original point charge $ q $ is in a medium with a dielectric constant $ \ epsilon_1 $ . At a distance of $ d $ from it is a plate with a thickness of $ c $, made of a material with a dielectric constant $ \ epsilon_2 $. It is necessary to determine the magnitude of the image charges and the distances from them to the original charge $ q $. The first two images charges did not cause me any questions. They are, respectively, $ - \ beta q / \ epsilon_1 $ (here $ \ beta = \ frac {\ epsilon_2- \ epsilon_1} {\ epsilon_2 + \ epsilon_1} $) and $ \ beta q / \ epsilon_1 $. The distances from them to the original charge are $ 2d $ and $ 2 (c + d) $. However, the author does not further use mirror images as such (but I would like to understand it using this language). He writes about corrections to surface density from the first (a) and second (b) plate surfaces.
The first adjustment from (a) to (b) gives image charge- $ - \ beta ^ 2 q / \ epsilon_1 $ (Im confused by the sign) at a distance of $ 2 (c + d) $ (why?). It turns out that we cannot get the image charges simply by reflecting the charge relative to certain planes and multiplying it by certain factors? Please help me to understand.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please use ## instead of $ to open and close latex commands. The text is very difficult to read

Ok. I repeat my message with corrections.
The problem of the interaction of a point charge with a dielectric plate of finite thickness implies the existence of an infinite series of image charges (see http://www.lorentzcenter.nl/lc/web/2011/466/problems/2/Sometani00.pdf). I introduce notations identical to those used in this work. The original point charge ## q ## is in a medium with a dielectric constant ##\epsilon_1 ## . At a distance of ##d ## from it is a plate with a thickness of ##c ##, made of a material with a dielectric constant ##\epsilon_2 ##. It is necessary to determine the magnitude of the image charges and the distances from them to the original charge ##q ##. The first two images charges did not cause me any questions. They are, respectively, ##- \beta q / \epsilon_1 ## (here ## \beta = \frac {\epsilon_2- \epsilon_1} {\epsilon_2 + \epsilon_1} ##) and ##\beta q / \epsilon_1 ##. The distances from them to the original charge are ## 2d ## and ## 2 (c + d) ##. However, the author does not further use mirror images as such (but I would like to understand it using this language). He writes about corrections to surface density from the first (a) and second (b) plate surfaces.
The first adjustment from (a) to (b) gives image charge ## - \beta ^ 2 q / \epsilon_1 ## (Im confused by the sign) at a distance of ## 2 (c + d) ## (why?). It turns out that we cannot get the image charges simply by reflecting the charge relative to certain planes and multiplying it by certain factors? Please help me to understand.

Last edited:

1. What is the problem with the series when a dielectric plate and a point charge are involved?

The problem with the series is that the presence of the dielectric plate and the point charge can significantly alter the electric field and potential in the region, leading to difficulties in accurately calculating the series coefficients.

2. How does the dielectric constant of the plate affect the series?

The dielectric constant of the plate plays a crucial role in determining the electric field and potential in the region. It affects the polarization of the material and thus alters the boundary conditions for the series solution.

3. Can the series solution be used to accurately model the electric field and potential in this scenario?

While the series solution can provide a good approximation for the electric field and potential, it may not be accurate enough for certain applications. Other methods, such as numerical simulations, may be needed for more precise results.

4. How does the position of the point charge affect the series solution?

The position of the point charge can greatly influence the series solution, as it determines the boundary conditions and the shape of the electric field and potential in the region. Different positions may require different approaches to solving the problem.

5. Are there any simplifications or assumptions made in the series solution for this problem?

Yes, the series solution often assumes certain conditions, such as a uniform dielectric plate and a point charge in a vacuum. These simplifications may not accurately reflect real-world scenarios and can affect the accuracy of the solution.