Diesel Injector and Water Tube Boiler Back-Pressure

In summary, both water tube boiler reservoirs and diesel injectors are typically under pressure and are recharged under pressure.
Silly Questions
TL;DR Summary
Certain powerplant components seem to be under a lot of pressure.
Diesel injector:
How much pressure relative to the maximum combustion chamber pressure during the sharpest phase of detonation does an injector need to be able to overcome to inject its full charge? How much overlap is typical between injection and detonation?

Water-tube boiler:
Are the water reservoirs at the bottom of the tubes under the same pressure as the steam manifold at the top? When the reservoirs are replenished while a ship is underway are they left in communication with the manifold? Are they replenished continuously or in cycles?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I was able to find good answers to pressures in diesel injectors and power boilers in less than one minute by using my favorite search engine. What have you tried?

Likes Averagesupernova and berkeman
Wikipedia.

Silly Questions said:
Diesel injector:
How much pressure relative to the maximum combustion chamber pressure during the sharpest phase of detonation does an injector need to be able to overcome to inject its full charge? How much overlap is typical between injection and detonation?
This will depend on the type of injection pump, or which version of the common rail system is employed. I can assure you that the injection pressure is sufficient.

A diesel engine injects fuel in a continuous burst. There should be no detonation, combustion begins a moment after injection begins and continues until after injection stops. There is more than 50% overlap, but it will vary dependent on the volume of fuel being injected.

• Informative
Likes Silly Questions and berkeman
"There is more than 50% overlap."

The diagrams and animations I've seen don't do this feat of engineering justice. Thanks for your answer.

Likes berkeman
Diesel injectors and Water Tube Boilers in one thread. That's a pretty big leap.o_O

Your question about the boilers doesn't make sense for all types of boilers. The link shows a brief tutorial on water tube boilers. Please read that before asking follow up questions. The picture is a figure from the tutorial.

https://www.electrical4u.com/water-tube-boiler-operation-and-types-of-water-tube-boiler/

1627681560412.png

• Informative
Likes Silly Questions and berkeman
They're related by "what do you do about pressure in places where it might cause problems," but that relationship I admit exists only in my imagination.

From the reading I glean that the answer is "yes" to both questions of whether the reservoir is under pressure and is recharged under pressure. Thanks for the link!

1. What is a diesel injector and how does it work?

A diesel injector is a component of a diesel engine that is responsible for injecting fuel into the combustion chamber. It works by using a high-pressure pump to force fuel through a small opening, creating a fine spray that mixes with air and ignites to power the engine.

2. What is a water tube boiler and how does it differ from a fire tube boiler?

A water tube boiler is a type of boiler that uses a network of tubes filled with water to generate steam. It differs from a fire tube boiler, which has hot gases from a fire passing through a series of tubes filled with water. Water tube boilers are typically more efficient and can handle higher pressures and temperatures.

3. What is back-pressure in relation to diesel injectors and water tube boilers?

Back-pressure refers to the resistance or pressure that builds up in the exhaust system of a diesel engine or boiler. In the case of diesel injectors, back-pressure can affect the flow of fuel and lead to inefficient combustion. In water tube boilers, back-pressure can cause issues with steam flow and affect the overall efficiency of the system.

4. How can back-pressure be controlled in diesel injectors and water tube boilers?

Back-pressure can be controlled in diesel injectors by ensuring proper maintenance and cleaning of the injector nozzles. In water tube boilers, back-pressure can be controlled by maintaining proper steam flow and ensuring the tubes are clear of any obstructions or buildup.

5. What are the potential consequences of high back-pressure in diesel injectors and water tube boilers?

In diesel injectors, high back-pressure can lead to incomplete combustion, reduced engine performance, and increased emissions. In water tube boilers, high back-pressure can cause damage to the tubes, reduce efficiency, and potentially lead to boiler failure.