Diffe equation loan problem

• Thread starter hover
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Loans
In summary, the conversation is about problem #39 on page 36 which involves finding the annual payment for a loan with given initial and final amounts, interest rate, and time period. The problem can be solved using a general solution of the equation and by considering the annual payment as the total cost divided by the number of payments. The conversation ends with the person realizing their mistake and thanking for the help.
hover

Homework Statement

# 39 on page 36, specifically part a and case 1

http://books.google.com/books?id=mw...e&q=suppose ms lee is buying a house&f=false"

M(0) = $150000 ------>initial amount due
M(30) = $0 -------> final amount due
r = .07
p=?

Homework Equations

anything to do with diffe equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I don't want to show all the work for it but one can find a general solution to the equation listed in the problem by dividing both sides by rM-p and by multilpying both sides by dt. So

dM/(rM-p)=dt

From here you can integrate and eventually get the general solution of

M = c*e^(r*t)+p/r

With M(0) = 150000 and M(30) = 0 I can solve for both c and p but I seem to be missing something. How do I find out how much she pays? I'm lost. Even by after checking with the answers in the back of the book I can't get the answer that they got. :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's the easy part! You are told that "p is the annual payment". Since she holds this loan for 30 years, she makes constant payment, p, 30 times: her total cost is 30p. Don't forget to add the three "points", .03(150,000)= $4,500 she has to make up front for the 6.5% loan.

Wow I really overlooked this... I feel silly now. I think I was treating this problem harder than it really was because it has to do with diffe equations.

Thanks

1. What is a differential equation loan problem?

A differential equation loan problem is a type of mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a borrower's loan balance and the interest rate. It takes into account the borrower's payments and the interest that accrues on the loan over time.

2. How is a differential equation loan problem solved?

A differential equation loan problem can be solved by using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or integration. These methods help to find the general solution to the equation, which can then be used to determine specific solutions for different scenarios.

3. What is the significance of a differential equation loan problem in finance?

A differential equation loan problem is significant in finance as it allows for the prediction of future loan balances and interest payments, which is crucial for financial planning and decision-making. It also helps to understand the impact of different interest rates and payment schedules on the loan balance.

4. What are the assumptions made in a differential equation loan problem?

The main assumptions made in a differential equation loan problem are that the interest rate is constant and that the borrower makes regular, fixed payments. These assumptions may not hold true in real-life situations, but they provide a good starting point for understanding the relationship between loan balance and interest rate.

5. Can differential equation loan problems be applied to all types of loans?

Yes, differential equation loan problems can be applied to any type of loan, including mortgages, car loans, and student loans. However, the assumptions made in the equation may need to be adjusted for different types of loans, such as variable interest rates or irregular payment schedules.