Difference between Flip-flop and latch

• Thread starter Charismaztex
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary, the authors discussed the distinction between latches and flip-flops, with latches being level-triggered and flip-flops being edge-triggered and synchronized by a clock. The question was raised if there are level-triggered flip-flops, and it was noted that the difference between a D master-slave flip-flop and a negative edge-triggered D flip-flop is that the changes occur at the end of the pulse for the former and at the end of the negative pulse for the latter. The conversation also touched on different types of flip-flops, such as J, K, D, and SR, and the difference between latches and flip-flops in terms of transparency and delay. Ultimately, it was stated that
Charismaztex
Hi,

I've read that some authors do not make the distinction that latches are level triggered (with clock of course) and flip-flops are edge-triggered and synchronized by the clock.

I am wondering, are there level-triggered flip-flops? My lecture notes says
that this

Rg7SE.jpg

is a level-triggered flip-flop as opposed to 2 rectangular blocks with dynamic-input indicators which would indicate edge triggering (what's the difference between this D master-slave flip-flop in the image and a, say, negative edge triggered D flip-flop as both changes occur at end of pulse?). Actually, are all D negative or positive edge triggered flip-flops master-slave flip-flops?

My understanding now is: (2 rectangular blocks as a whole) is an SR master-slave flip-flop and each rectangular block is a latch (which can be level triggered). Postponed output indicator indicates that output signal changes at end of, in case of SR master-slave flip-flop, edge of pulse (end of positive pulse for first block in image and end of negative pulse for second). Hence this implies that the master-slave flip-flop (if 2 rectangles or latches are considered as one flip-flop) or any flip-flop is edge triggered.

Is my understanding correct? I know the thinking is a little muddled so please help me clear it up and I think my lecture notes may be wrong. What's the verdict?

Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
There are a few different types of flip-flop and a latch copies and holds the input.

Some other flip-flops toggle between values.

As far as I can recall 9and I haven't bothered to search by the way) there are J and K types as well as D type and SR (set reset) might be one of these...sorry not be more use, but I started typing brimming with confidence which appears to have been inappropriate!

a flip flop is constructed by two latches and can be triggered both on falling edge or rising edge of any signal, i.e. a clock but it is always triggered.

a D-flip flop will show the input on the output when c goes high if it is triggered on rising edge and when c goes low if triggered on falling edge.

a Latch is transparent and will show the input on the output when clock is low and will be locked when the clock goes high for rising edge triggered latch. But if you place two latches in serial it will not be transparent.

You should look at the functional tables for D, T SR and JK flip flops to get a better understanding. And also look at a schematic for a flip flop to really understand what happens.

Also the output of a flip flop will not show the result imidiatly on the triggered edge, it will take some time before the data is stable due to delay.

What is the difference between a flip-flop and a latch?

A flip-flop is a sequential logic circuit that stores one bit of data and changes its state only on a clock edge. A latch, on the other hand, is a level-sensitive circuit that stores one bit of data and changes its state continuously as long as the input signal is active.

How do flip-flops and latches differ in terms of their functionality?

Flip-flops are used for applications that require strict timing control and synchronization, such as in digital counters and registers. Latches, on the other hand, are more suitable for applications that require simple storage of data, such as in memory circuits.

What are the key characteristics that distinguish flip-flops and latches?

The key difference between flip-flops and latches is their clocking mechanism. Flip-flops use a clock signal to trigger state changes, while latches are level-sensitive and do not require a clock signal. Additionally, flip-flops have separate input and output signals, while latches have a single input/output signal.

Which one is more commonly used in digital circuits, flip-flops or latches?

Flip-flops are more commonly used in digital circuits due to their ability to synchronize data and their ability to prevent race conditions. Latches are typically used in simpler applications where strict timing control is not necessary.

Can flip-flops and latches be used interchangeably?

No, flip-flops and latches cannot be used interchangeably as they have different functionalities and characteristics. Choosing between a flip-flop or a latch depends on the specific requirements of the digital circuit being designed.