Difference between generations of quarks

In summary: I don't really understand why there is only one for the first generation, and two for the other generations.I don't really understand why there is only one for the first generation, and two for the other generations.
bilzebor
TL;DR Summary
why is the isospin different then the other flavors
hello,
in the model of quarks, each of them is described by a flavor, but the quantum number for the first generation of quarks is the same (the isospin) for the up (1/2) and down (-1/2) quark.
For the other generation though it is a distinct number (s,charm,...) for each quark.

From what I understand, since the SU(2) symetry is only slightly broken for the up and down quark and for historical reason, people use the isospin for both, but they use different quantum numbers for the other quarks because then SU(3,4,...) is more broken.

Does than mean that technically we could use 2 different numbers for the up and down quark? or am I missing something?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
bilzebor said:
technically we could use 2 different numbers for the up and down quark

I don't know what that means.

Vanadium 50 said:
I don't know what that means.
I meant the quantum number that characterizes up and down quarks, so the isospin
I don't really understand why there is only one for the first generation, and two for the other generations

sorry if I'm not clear

Are you asking why weak isospin for quarks is a doublet? Or are you asking if eigenvalues of isospin should be different?

What is your background? You've tagged this as requesting a graduate-level answer.

yes I'm wondering why we use isospin doublet only for the first generation of quark

I thought it was because for the 2nd and 3rd generations the masses of the quarks are different, but up and down quarks also have different masses

(I'm a graduate student)

All three quark generations are weak isospin doublets. Regular ("strong") isospin is an approximate symmetry that arises because the u and d quarks have low masses with respect to the QCD scale.

Likes ohwilleke, vanhees71 and bilzebor
We could have introduced upness and downness instead of using isospin. If we would have learned about all 6 quarks at the same time I assume that's what would have been done, but for historic reasons we got isospin. But, as V50 mentioned, the very similar (and small) mass of the first generation makes isospin special.

Likes ohwilleke
mfb said:
We could have introduced upness and downness instead of using isospin. If we would have learned about all 6 quarks at the same time I assume that's what would have been done

Maybe, but it would be hard to understand the difference between the π0 and η. Or why you have ρ→ππ but ω→πππ. I suspect someone would invent it. Probably Dave Jackson.

Likes vanhees71

1. What are quarks and how do they differ between generations?

Quarks are elementary particles that make up protons and neutrons, which are the building blocks of atoms. There are six types, or flavors, of quarks: up, down, charm, strange, top, and bottom. These flavors are organized into three generations, with each generation containing two quarks. The main difference between generations of quarks is their mass and electric charge. The first generation (up and down quarks) has the lightest mass and the second and third generations (charm and strange, top and bottom) have increasingly heavier masses.

2. How do the different generations of quarks interact with each other?

Quarks interact with each other through the strong nuclear force, which is mediated by particles called gluons. The different generations of quarks can also interact through the weak nuclear force, which is responsible for radioactive decay. However, the strength of this interaction decreases with each generation, meaning that quarks from different generations are less likely to interact with each other.

3. How were the different generations of quarks discovered?

The existence of quarks was first proposed in the 1960s by physicists Murray Gell-Mann and George Zweig. The first generation of quarks (up and down) was discovered through experiments at particle accelerators, where scientists observed the particles produced when protons were collided at high speeds. The second and third generations were discovered in the 1970s and 1980s through similar experiments.

4. Do the different generations of quarks have any practical applications?

The study of quarks and their interactions has led to a better understanding of the fundamental forces that govern the universe. This knowledge has been applied in various fields, such as nuclear energy, medical imaging, and particle accelerators used in scientific research. Quarks are also a key component in the development of quantum computers, which have the potential to solve complex problems much faster than traditional computers.

5. Are there any proposed theories about additional generations of quarks?

While the existence of the three generations of quarks is well-established, some theories in particle physics suggest the possibility of additional generations. However, these theories have not been confirmed through experiments and remain speculative. If these additional generations do exist, they would likely have even higher masses and weaker interactions than the current three generations.