Difference between paramagnetism and ferromagnetism

In summary, the difference between paramagnetism and ferromagnetism lies in the type of interaction between nearby magnetic dipoles. While paramagnetism is caused by dipole-dipole interaction, ferromagnetism is due to a stronger exchange interaction. This exchange interaction is responsible for the alignment of spins in the same direction, resulting in a stronger magnetic field in ferromagnetic materials. However, with a strong enough magnetic field, it is possible to align the same magnetic moments in a paramagnetic material and achieve a similar strength of field. Therefore, the main distinction between the two is the type of interaction between spins.
Denver Dang

Homework Statement

I've been asked to describe the difference between these two, but I'm a but confused.

In my book, it says that paramagnetism is weaker than ferromagnetism, but I don't see why.

If I'm not mistaken, both paramagnetism and ferromagnetism arise from the fact that you align magnetic moments. I then get, that in ferromagnets the orientation of the moments are somewhat kept, whereas in the paramagnetic situation, it is destroyed when the applied magnetic field is removed.

But if it is the same thing that happens, why is ferromagnetism stronger that paramagnetism ? Or is that just me that are reading it wrong ?

Thanks in advance.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Denver Dang! :smile:
Denver Dang said:
But if it is the same thing that happens, why is ferromagnetism stronger that paramagnetism ? Or is that just me that are reading it wrong ?

no, it's not the same, it's dipole-dipole interaction for paramagnetism, but exchange itneraciton for ferromagnetism :wink:

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferromagnetism#Exchange_interaction
According to classical electromagnetism, two nearby magnetic dipoles will tend to align in opposite directions, so their magnetic fields will oppose one another and cancel out. However, this effect is very weak, because the magnetic fields generated by individual spins are small and the resulting alignment is easily destroyed by thermal fluctuations
In a few materials, a much stronger interaction between spins arises because the change in the direction of the spin leads to a change in electrostatic repulsion between neighboring electrons, due to a particular quantum mechanical effect called the exchange interaction. At short distances, the exchange interaction is much stronger than the dipole-dipole magnetic interaction. As a result, in a few materials, the ferromagnetic ones, nearby spins tend to align in the same direction.​

tiny-tim said:
no, it's not the same, it's dipole-dipole interaction for paramagnetism, but exchange itneraciton for ferromagnetism :wink:

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferromagnetism#Exchange_interaction
According to classical electromagnetism, two nearby magnetic dipoles will tend to align in opposite directions, so their magnetic fields will oppose one another and cancel out. However, this effect is very weak, because the magnetic fields generated by individual spins are small and the resulting alignment is easily destroyed by thermal fluctuations

In a few materials, a much stronger interaction between spins arises because the change in the direction of the spin leads to a change in electrostatic repulsion between neighboring electrons, due to a particular quantum mechanical effect called the exchange interaction. At short distances, the exchange interaction is much stronger than the dipole-dipole magnetic interaction. As a result, in a few materials, the ferromagnetic ones, nearby spins tend to align in the same direction.​

But does this explain why the field created by a ferromagnet is stronger than that of the paramagnet ?

It sounds to me, that you have explained why the ferromagnetic state is upheld when turning off the magnetic field, due to the exchange interaction which is a stronger bond that the dipole-dipole interaction. But if you have a strong enough field, shouldn't you be able to align the same magnetic moments in a paramagnetic material, as in a ferromagnetic, and then getting the same strength of field ?

Again, it just sounds as if you are explaining WHY the ferromagnetic state is upheld, and why the paramagnetic changes back when the magnetic field is removed.

But I could be mistaken ?

Related to Difference between paramagnetism and ferromagnetism

1. What is the main difference between paramagnetism and ferromagnetism?

The main difference between paramagnetism and ferromagnetism is the strength of the magnetic field produced by the material. Paramagnetic materials have a weak attraction to magnetic fields, while ferromagnetic materials have a much stronger attraction resulting in the material becoming permanently magnetized.

2. How do paramagnetic and ferromagnetic materials behave in the presence of an external magnetic field?

In the presence of a magnetic field, paramagnetic materials will align themselves in the direction of the field, but will lose their magnetism once the field is removed. Ferromagnetic materials, on the other hand, will also align themselves in the direction of the field, but will retain their magnetism even after the field is removed.

3. Can you give examples of paramagnetic and ferromagnetic materials?

Paramagnetic materials include aluminum, copper, and platinum. Ferromagnetic materials include iron, cobalt, and nickel. Other examples include magnetite, a naturally occurring mineral with strong ferromagnetism, and gadolinium, a rare earth metal with strong paramagnetism.

4. How do the magnetic properties of paramagnetic and ferromagnetic materials affect their use in technology?

Ferromagnetic materials are commonly used in technology due to their strong attraction to magnetic fields and ability to retain their magnetism. They are used in the production of magnets, electric motors, hard drives, and other devices. Paramagnetic materials are less commonly used and have applications in particle separation, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, and other specialized technologies.

5. Can paramagnetic and ferromagnetic materials exhibit both types of magnetism simultaneously?

Yes, some materials can exhibit both paramagnetism and ferromagnetism, depending on the strength of the external magnetic field. These materials are known as ferrimagnetic materials and include substances such as ferrites and garnets.