Difference between the various COP formulae

In summary, the person has two questions: 1) How is the equation for COPref different from other COPref equations? and 2) What does "isostere" mean? The person later found out that "isostere" means constant concentration.
influx

Homework Statement

39d88c.png

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is a simple one: how is the above equation for COPref different to the COPref equations I've already encountered (such as COPref = Qc/Win = (h1-h4)/(h2-h1). Is the above just a different form of these? Or is the above only used in specific situations?

Also, one other question. What does ''isostere'' mean exactly? I know isobar means equal pressure and isotherm means equal termperature but can't seem to put my finger on what ''isostere'' means. Wikipedia gives this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isostere

But I think that is referring to isostere in a different context?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I edited the above post to include the isostere question but I have now found out that it means constant concentration. However, I can't seem to edit the above post to reflect this hence I decided to post this message.

1. What is the meaning of COP in scientific terms?

COP stands for Coefficient of Performance, which is a measure of the efficiency of a heat pump or refrigeration system. It represents the ratio of the amount of heat energy transferred to the amount of work put into the system.

2. What is the difference between COP and EER?

COP and EER (Energy Efficiency Ratio) are both measures of the efficiency of cooling systems. However, EER only takes into account the energy input, while COP considers both energy input and output. This means that COP is a more comprehensive and accurate measure of efficiency.

3. How does the COP formula differ between heating and cooling systems?

The COP formula is different for heating and cooling systems because they have opposite functions. For heating systems, the COP is the ratio of heat output to energy input, while for cooling systems, it is the ratio of heat removed to energy input.

4. What is the difference between COP and SCOP?

SCOP (Seasonal Coefficient of Performance) is a variation of COP that takes into account the performance of a system over an entire heating season, rather than just a single moment in time. It considers factors such as outside temperature and system adjustments, providing a more accurate representation of efficiency over time.

5. How can the COP formula be used to compare different heating or cooling systems?

The COP formula can be used to compare different systems by calculating the COP for each one and then comparing the values. A higher COP indicates a more efficient system, while a lower COP indicates a less efficient one. However, it is important to note that the COP may not be the only factor to consider when choosing a system, as other factors such as initial cost and maintenance may also play a role.