How to calculate a coefficient of performance (COP)

In summary: COP of a carnot cycle does not have to be greater than the COP of my cycle because it does not really have only 2 sources ...In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of COP and COPmax for a triangular cycle that involves heat removal and work supply. The COP is calculated based on the heat delivered and work done, while the COPmax is calculated based on the heat removed and work done. The question arises as to whether the COP of this cycle can be greater than the COP of an equivalent Carnot cycle, but it is clarified that the equivalent Carnot cycle should have isothermal passes at the highest and lowest temperatures, which is not the case for this cycle. Therefore, it is not possible to directly compare the
Screwed
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing

Homework Statement

T48Cd.jpg

Homework Equations

Xo10cz5.jpg
[/B][/B]
Xo10cz5

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my solution attempt:

6fbeh-jpg.jpg

NOTE: Evolution 2 to 3 is really an isothermic process, but in the diagram shows as an politropic process.

a11xc.jpg

4. Further Questions

But it isn't giving me logical values of COP when I compare it with a reverse cycle of Carnot.

Question: How could I calculate the COP and COPmax of this cycle?
Not sure how to arrange heats and work on COPs formula for a triangular cycle like this one.

Attachments

• T48Cd.jpg
    T48Cd.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,741
  • 6FbEH.jpg
    6FbEH.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 518
  • a11xc.jpg
    a11xc.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 5,557
  • Xo10cz5.jpg
    Xo10cz5.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 4,776
  • 6fbeh-jpg.jpg
    6fbeh-jpg.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,553
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In this cycle, you are removing heat from one part of the surroundings at a low temperature (7088 J) and discharging heat to another part of the surroundings at a higher (range of) temperature (2809 J + 5063 J = 7871 J). To accomplish this pumping of heat, you are supplying work to the system (782.63 J). So, viewed as a heater, its COP is the heat delivered divided by the work done (7871/783). Viewed as a cooler, its COP is the heat removed divided by the work done (7088/783). So basically, except for the sign on cooler performance, both your results are correct.

@Chestermiller Thanks! But ...

Can the COP of my cycle be greater than the COP of an equivalent carnot cycle?
I thought that it should always be smaller, even in reversible cycles.

Last edited:
Screwed said:
@Chestermiller Thanks! But ...

Can the COP of my cycle be greater than the COP of an equivalent carnot cycle?
I thought that it should always be smaller, even in reversible cycles.
Can you please define the "equivalent Carnot cycle," given that the temperature is changing in steps 1-2 and in 3-1?

Chestermiller said:
Can you please define the "equivalent Carnot cycle," given that the temperature is changing in steps 1-2 and in 3-1?
Well... I guess that would be a reverse carnot cycle that works between the same two temperature sinks (243 k and 487k).
20535390178abc4929c40975a6082452fc5fb13ae229b699a510efcf96f068253a518503.jpg

Attachments

• 20535390178abc4929c40975a6082452fc5fb13ae229b699a510efcf96f068253a518503.jpg
    20535390178abc4929c40975a6082452fc5fb13ae229b699a510efcf96f068253a518503.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,107
Last edited:
Screwed said:
Well... I guess that would be a reverse carnot cycle that works between the same two temperature sinks (243 k and 487k).
View attachment 231938
But this system is not operating between 2 constant temperature sinks at 243 and 487. In step 1-2, the system is being heated along the process path from 243 to 487, so it is being brought into contact with a sequence of constant temperature reservoirs running from the lower temperature to the higher temperature. And, in step 3-1, the system is being cooled along the process path from 487 to 243, so it is being brought into contact with a sequence of constant temperature reservoirs running from the higher temperature to the lower temperature. The only part of the process where a single constant temperature reservoir is being used is step 2-3.

So, you are saying that since my cycle has an isothermal process, and for it to be reversible this must be achieved with infinite temperature sources ... then the theoretical COP of a carnot cycle does not have to be greater than the COP of my cycle because it does not really have only 2 sources ...

Sorry, I'm still confused, the carnot cycle does not also have reversible isothermal passes?

I always thought that Efficience and COP from Carnot Cycles where always greater than those of other cycles that were not carnot, reversible or irreversible.

I am very grateful for your answers, but I am a bit harsh with this topic.

Screwed said:
So, you are saying that since my cycle has an isothermal process, and for it to be reversible this must be achieved with infinite temperature sources ... then the theoretical COP of a carnot cycle does not have to be greater than the COP of my cycle because it does not really have only 2 sources ...
No. That's not what I'm saying. The isothermal (487) reversible step 2-3 is OK to allow a comparison with a Carnot cycle. But, what I'm saying is that that steps 1-2 and 3-1 of your process, although being reversible, are not isothermal. So there is no one temperature along these paths that you can use to compare directly with an isothermal leg of a Carnot cycle. The most you can say is that some temperature between 243 and 487 might be appropriate for such a comparison, but it is not obvious what the specific temperature should be.

For whatever it's worth, I have encountered problems like this before and the expected answer for the Carnot efficiency assumes a cycle the isothermals of which are at the highest and lowest possible temperatures at which the system may find itself.

Likes DrClaude
So, s
Chestermiller said:
No. That's not what I'm saying. The isothermal (487) reversible step 2-3 is OK to allow a comparison with a Carnot cycle. But, what I'm saying is that that steps 1-2 and 3-1 of your process, although being reversible, are not isothermal. So there is no one temperature along these paths that you can use to compare directly with an isothermal leg of a Carnot cycle. The most you can say is that some temperature between 243 and 487 might be appropriate for such a comparison, but it is not obvious what the specific temperature should be.

In short, if I have an isobaric or isochoric process in a cycle, then I can not compare to the COP of a carnot cycle because the sinks are not well defined?

kuruman said:
For whatever it's worth, I have encountered problems like this before and the expected answer for the Carnot efficiency assumes a cycle the isothermals of which are at the highest and lowest possible temperatures at which the system may find itself.
Do you have an example of that, that would be cool.

Screwed said:
So, s

In short, if I have an isobaric or isochoric process in a cycle, then I can not compare to the COP of a carnot cycle because the sinks are not well defined?
Your reversible process is well defined. I just do see how to compare this to a Carnot cycle on a rational basis.

Here's an approach to an equivalent Carnot cycle that might make sense.

The transfer of heat to the hot reservoir(s) is 7871 J, and the transfer of entropy to the hot reservoir(s) is 20.16 J/K. So the equivalent Carnot hot reservoir temperature is 7871/20.16 = 390.43 K.

The transfer of heat from the cold reservoir(s) is 7088.62 J, and the transfer of entropy from the cold reservoir(s) is 20.16. So the equivalent Carnot cold reservoir temperature is 7088.62/20.16 = 351.61 K.

Both these values lie between the extreme temperatures of 243K and 487 K. Anyway, use of these two temperatures in a Carnot cycle along with the known heats give exactly the same values for the COPs that we have already calculated.

1. What is a coefficient of performance (COP)?

A coefficient of performance (COP) is a measure of the efficiency of a heat pump or refrigeration system. It is calculated by dividing the desired output (e.g. heating or cooling) by the required input (e.g. electricity).

2. How is COP different from efficiency?

COP specifically measures the efficiency of heat pumps and refrigeration systems, whereas efficiency is a broader term that can refer to the effectiveness of any type of device or process. COP is also expressed as a ratio, while efficiency can be expressed as a decimal or percentage.

3. What is the formula for calculating COP?

The formula for COP is: COP = Desired Output / Required Input. The desired output can be heating or cooling, and the required input is usually electricity. For example, if a heat pump produces 10,000 BTUs of heating with 2,000 watts of electricity, the COP would be 5 (10,000/2,000).

4. How is COP affected by temperature changes?

COP is affected by temperature changes, as well as other factors such as the type of refrigerant used and the efficiency of the compressor. In general, a higher temperature difference between the input and output of a heat pump or refrigeration system will result in a lower COP.

5. Can COP be greater than 1?

Yes, COP can be greater than 1. In fact, the higher the COP, the more efficient the system is. For example, a COP of 3 means that for every unit of electricity input, the system produces 3 units of desired output. A COP of 1 would mean the system is 100% efficient, and a COP of less than 1 would indicate that the system requires more input than the desired output it produces.