Difference between two formulas of resistance

In summary: Ohms law. It applies to any resistor (that approximates the ideal) regardless of the material it's made of. It's mainly used when designing a circuit containing a resistor.There are other equations involving resistance. Nothing particularly special about those two.
Coco12
There are two formulas for resistance
R=pl/A
V=IR

What is the difference between them?

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1387319130.100854.jpg

Question b on the sheet. Why can you not use that data to calculate current flow when connected to a power source. I suspect it has something to Do with the difference between these two formulas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Coco12 said:
There are two formulas for resistance
R=pl/A
V=IR

What is the difference between them?

View attachment 64890

Question b on the sheet. Why can you not use that data to calculate current flow when connected to a power source. I suspect it has something to Do with the difference between these two formulas.

What do the variables in those equations stand for?

When would you use the first equation to calculate resistance?

When would you use the second equation?

Last edited:
berkeman said:
What do the variables in those equations stand for?
When would you use the first equation to calculate resistance?
When would you use the second equation?
The first formula is just talking about the resistance of a wire the second is when there's a current flowing?

Coco12 said:
The first formula is just talking about the resistance of a wire the second is when there's a current flowing?

You didn't answer my first question. Defining the variables will help you to determine when you use each formula...

Ok I understand it now . I know the first equation has is resistivity * length divided by area
The second is volt = current * resistance
Therefore you use the second equation when there is a current

Coco12 said:
Ok I understand it now . I know the first equation has is resistivity * length divided by area
The second is volt = current * resistance
Therefore you use the second equation when there is a current

Yeah, the 2nd equation is Ohm's Law, and you use it when you know two of the 3 variables. The first equation is for calculating the resistance of some known geometry or volume (like a wire of known thickness, etc.).

Last edited:
Coco12 said:

No, it doesn't have to do with the "difference". They can actually be applied for the same problem. You can use one to calculate the resistance of the wire from the parameters of the wire and then use the second to calculate current when some given voltage is applied.

The key here is the mention of "cold filament".
How is the filament of a light bulb when powered at the nominal voltage?

The first formula relates the physical properties of the material the resistor is made of to it's electrical resistance. It's mainly used when designing a resistor.

The second is Ohms law. It applies to any resistor (that approximates the ideal) regardless of the material it's made of. It's mainly used when designing a circuit containing a resistor.

PS: There are other equations involving resistance. Nothing particularly special about those two.
For example

The power dissipated in a resistor is given by..

Power = I2R
where I = current.

nasu said:
No, it doesn't have to do with the "difference". They can actually be applied for the same problem. You can use one to calculate the resistance of the wire from the parameters of the wire and then use the second to calculate current when some given voltage is applied.

The key here is the mention of "cold filament".
How is the filament of a light bulb when powered at the nominal voltage?

cold filament means...? How does that relate?

Is the filament of a functioning bulb cold?
What happen with the resistance of a metallic wire when the temperature changes?
Did you learn about temperature dependence of rezistivity?

Oh yes. When the temperature increases the resistance increases

So if is a cold filament then you cannot use the other formula?

No, it's nothing about formula. They say that you cannot use these data. No mention about formula.
In order to calculate the current you will need both formulas. You use one of them to calculate the resistance of the filament, by using the dimensions and the resistivity. And then use Ohm's law to calculate the current, given the resistance found in step 1 and the voltage of 120 V.

BUT, these values are measured at room temperature.
When connected to 120 V, the filament heats up to about 2000 K.
At this temperature the rezistivity (as well as the dimensions) will have significantly different values.
So you will need those new values (as well as BOTH formulas) to calculate the current for hot filament.

Coco12 said:
So if is a cold filament then you cannot use the other formula?

Coco -- please check your PMs about your use of text speak (which I have been correcting)

Re my post above...

CWatters said:
The first formula relates the physical properties of the material the resistor is made of to it's electrical resistance. It's mainly used when designing a resistor.

The second is Ohms law. It applies to any resistor (that approximates the ideal) regardless of the material it's made of. It's mainly used when designing a circuit containing a resistor.

In the first formula the resistivity of the material is measured at one particular temperature, typically room temperature. What happens when power is applied?

Related to Difference between two formulas of resistance

What is the difference between resistance and impedance?

Resistance is the measure of opposition to the flow of electric current in a material. It is represented by the letter R and is measured in ohms. Impedance, on the other hand, is the combined effect of resistance, capacitance, and inductance in a circuit. It is represented by the letter Z and is also measured in ohms.

How do the formulas for resistance and impedance differ?

The formula for resistance is R = V/I, where V is the voltage and I is the current. The formula for impedance is Z = √(R² + X²), where R is the resistance and X is the reactance (combination of capacitance and inductance).

Can the same material have different resistances?

Yes, the resistance of a material can vary depending on its physical properties, such as length, cross-sectional area, and temperature. For example, a longer wire will have a higher resistance than a shorter wire of the same material.

What is the effect of temperature on resistance?

The resistance of a material generally increases with temperature. This is because as temperature increases, the atoms in the material vibrate more, making it harder for electrons to flow through. However, this is not always the case and some materials, like semiconductors, can have a decrease in resistance with an increase in temperature.

How does resistance affect the flow of electric current?

Resistance limits the flow of electric current in a circuit. The higher the resistance, the less current can flow through. This is why resistors are often used in circuits to control the amount of current that flows through different components.