Difference between volts and voltage and what signs to use?

In summary, voltage, represented by a capital V, is equal to electromotive force and potential difference. It is measured in volts, with the symbol V. Additionally, a lower case cursive v may be used to represent instantaneous voltage. Electromotive force is often denoted by the symbol E to distinguish it from electric field.
pugfug90
The thing that is equal to electromotive force and potential difference is voltage.. right? And that is represented by a capital V?

And the thing that is joules/coloumbs.. That is a unit called volts? represented by.. a lower case v? Or are they both essentially the same..

I'm confused because on top of mixing E and V, I've also been introduced to a lower case cursive v today.. Thanks:)

Physics news on Phys.org
A lower case v would mean instantaneous voltage.

Ahh.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/question501.htm
"The three most basic units in electricity are voltage (V)"
"Voltage is measured in volts"

So.. if V is voltage, what is volts in symbols?

So.. if V is voltage, what is volts in symbols?
Voltage is measured in volts, whose symbol is V.

So, just like if I wanted to say 50 Newtons, I would right 50N..and if I wanted to say 50 volts, I would say 50V?

yes...

A lot of times, emf is represented by a script E to distinguish it from electric field

Related to Difference between volts and voltage and what signs to use?

What is the difference between volts and voltage?

Volts and voltage are often used interchangeably, but they actually refer to two different concepts. Volts, denoted by the symbol V, is a unit of measurement for electric potential difference, or the amount of work required to move a unit of electric charge between two points. Voltage, on the other hand, refers to the electric potential difference itself, typically measured in volts.

How do I know when to use the symbol "V" and when to use the word "voltage"?

The symbol "V" is used when referring to the unit of measurement, volts. The word "voltage" can be used to describe the electric potential difference, or the potential difference between two points. For example, you would say "The voltage across the circuit is 12 volts," but you would write "The potential difference is 12 V."

What are the common signs used to represent volts and voltage?

The most common sign used to represent volts is the letter "V." This can be seen on most electronic devices, such as batteries and power supplies. The symbol for voltage is similar, but with an extra line on top, denoting the unit of measurement. It can also be written as "volts" or abbreviated as "V."

Can volts and voltage be negative numbers?

Yes, both volts and voltage can be negative numbers. This indicates that the electric potential at one point is lower than the potential at another point. Negative voltage is often used in circuits to represent a reverse flow of electricity, or a ground reference point.

What are the practical applications of understanding volts and voltage?

Understanding volts and voltage is crucial in the field of electronics. It is used to calculate the power consumption of electronic devices, design and troubleshoot circuits, and ensure safety in electrical systems. It is also important in fields such as physics and engineering, as voltage is a fundamental concept in electricity and magnetism.