Difference/convert between covariant/contravariant tensors

• Thread starter roberto85
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tensors
In summary, the difference between a covariant tensor and a contravariant tensor is due to the alignment of the axes, which is determined by the metric tensor. A contravariant tensor is obtained by counting how far from each axis a vector needs to go to reach a point, while a covariant tensor is obtained by projecting the vector perpendicularly onto each axis. The contravariant metric tensor is the inverse of the covariant metric tensor. To convert components of a general covariant tensor into those of an equivalent contravariant tensor, or vice versa, one can combine the vector with the metric or its dual (matrix inverse) using the equations: Aμ = Σgμα Aα and Aμ =
roberto85

Homework Statement

1. Explain the difference between a covariant tensor and a contravariant tensor, using the metric tensor as an example.
2. Explain how the components of a general covariant tensor may be converted into those of the equivalent contravariant tensor, and vice versa.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. The difference is due to the alignment of the axes and the metric tells us what that alignment is. A contravariant tensor can be explained by drawing some cartesian axes and a vector from the origin to some point. Then components are obtained by counting how far from each axis we need to go to get from origin to the point. With a covariant tensor we isntead project the vector perpendicularly onto each axis in turn and measure how long each projection is.
But I am not sure how to use the metric tensor as an example. I can only think of saying that the contravariant metric tensor is the inverse of the covariant metric tensor. Then to add:
$$[g^{ij}][g_{ij}] = \delta^{i}_{j}$$
where $$\delta^{i}_{j}$$ = 1 if i=j or 0 if i ≠ j

2. Combining a vector with the metric - or its dual, which is the matrix inverse - let's us go from one form to another.
$$A_{\mu} = \Sigma g_{\mu\alpha} A^{\alpha}$$
$$A^{\mu} = \Sigma g^{\mu\alpha} A_{\alpha}$$

Unsure if i have given enough detail in these answers, any help would be appreciated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
roberto85 said:

Homework Statement

1. Explain the difference between a covariant tensor and a contravariant tensor, using the metric tensor as an example.
2. Explain how the components of a general covariant tensor may be converted into those of the equivalent contravariant tensor, and vice versa.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. The difference is due to the alignment of the axes and the metric tells us what that alignment is. A contravariant tensor can be explained by drawing some cartesian axes and a vector from the origin to some point. Then components are obtained by counting how far from each axis we need to go to get from origin to the point. With a covariant tensor we isntead project the vector perpendicularly onto each axis in turn and measure how long each projection is.
But I am not sure how to use the metric tensor as an example. I can only think of saying that the contravariant metric tensor is the inverse of the covariant metric tensor. Then to add:
$[g^{ij}][g_{ij}] = δ^{i}_{j}$
where $δ^{i}_{j}$ = 1 if i=j or 0 if i ≠ j

2. Combining a vector with the metric - or its dual, which is the matrix inverse - let's us go from one form to another.
$A_{/mu} = Σg_{/mu/alpha} A^{/alpha}$
$A^{/mu} = Σg^{/mu/alpha} A_{/alpha}$

Unsure if i have given enough detail in these answers, any help would be appreciated
[/B]
Please stop using a bold font: it looks like you are yelling at us. Also: read my response to your other post to see how to use LsTeX properly

Ray Vickson said:
Please stop using a bold font: it looks like you are yelling at us. Also: read my response to your other post to see how to use LsTeX properly
Apologies Ray, have edited now, appreciate the pointers.

1. What is the difference between covariant and contravariant tensors?

Covariant and contravariant tensors are two different types of tensors used in mathematics and physics to represent geometric objects. The main difference between them is the way they transform under a change of coordinates. A covariant tensor changes its components in the same way as the coordinate system changes, while a contravariant tensor changes its components in the opposite way.

2. How do you convert a covariant tensor to a contravariant tensor?

To convert a covariant tensor to a contravariant tensor, you need to raise its indices using the metric tensor. The metric tensor is a mathematical object that defines the relationship between the covariant and contravariant components of a tensor. By raising the indices of a covariant tensor using the metric tensor, you can transform it into a contravariant tensor.

3. What is the significance of covariant and contravariant tensors in physics?

Covariant and contravariant tensors are essential in physics because they allow us to describe physical quantities in a coordinate-independent manner. This is important because physical laws should not depend on the choice of coordinates. By using tensors, we can ensure that our equations remain valid regardless of the coordinate system used.

4. Can you give an example of a covariant and a contravariant tensor?

One example of a covariant tensor is the stress-energy tensor in general relativity. It is a rank-2 tensor that describes the energy and momentum of matter. An example of a contravariant tensor is the electromagnetic field tensor, which is used in electromagnetism to describe the electric and magnetic fields in a coordinate-independent way.

5. How are covariant and contravariant tensors related to the concept of tensor contraction?

Tensor contraction is the process of summing over indices of a tensor to create a new tensor with fewer indices. In the case of covariant and contravariant tensors, contracting a covariant index with a contravariant index results in a scalar quantity, known as a tensor contraction. This operation is important in tensor calculus and is used to simplify equations and express physical laws in a more concise form.