Difference in Potential Energy between two Reservoirs

In summary: So, you can use the equation ΔP = mgh with h = 20 m. This gives the same answer as before: ΔP = 1 kg * 9.8 m/s^2 * 20 m = 980 J/kg.
catsandtrees

Homework Statement

3. Water is pumped from one reservoir to another 100m away. The water level in the second reservoir is 20m above the water level of the first reservoir. What is the increase in specific potential energy of the water in J/kg?

Homework Equations

The relevant equation I've been given in my notes is

P = mgh

This problem is for a renewable energy course. In class I only received a definition of potential energy and the above equation, the teacher didn't do any problems with potential energy in class either. The given textbook doesn't touch on the quantitative side of renewable energies. I've been trying to look through old physics textbooks but can't find anything too helpful yet.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been away from physics for almost 8 years, so physics problems aren't very intuitive for me anymore.

So far I've assumed I'm calculating the change in P. Setting up the equation as :
ΔP = (mgh)2nd reservoir - (mgh)1st reservoir

with
Δ (mass*g) = (20m* ? * density of water)*9.8m^2/sec
Δh = 100m

I can't figure out how to get the Δ in the volume of water, which I need to get the mass. Or since the teacher wants the answer in J/kg, should I be assuming that I should set up the equation as:
ΔP/m = Δ(g*h) ?

Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Alyssa

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to PF!

catsandtrees said:
So far I've assumed I'm calculating the change in P. Setting up the equation as :
ΔP = (mgh)2nd reservoir - (mgh)1st reservoir

Yes. This is very good.

Note that you can write this as ΔP = mgh2 - mgh1 = mg(h2 - h1) = mgΔh.

You can imagine that you skim a mass of m = 1 kg of water off the surface of the first reservoir and move it to the surface of the second reservoir. You just need to calculate ΔP for this situation.

I attempted the question again keeping in mind I need the specific potential energy.
This would give me:

ΔP/Δm = gΔh = 9.80 * 100m = 980 m2/s2 = 980 J/kg.

However this doesn't use the 20m water level difference. At this point in the course I don't think the teacher would give us useless info. Does this mean I need to use a trig function to get actual difference in height? Or should I be incorporating the 20m into the Δm?

In the equation P = mgh, h is the vertical height. So, Δh is the change in vertical height, or the change in water level of the two reservoirs. There is no change in gravitational potential energy when a mass is moved horizontally. You can think of moving 1 kg of mass 100 m horizontally and then 20 m vertically. Only the 20 m vertical change contributes to the change in potential energy.

Hi Alyssa,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your physics problem. It's great that you are taking a renewable energy course and trying to understand the quantitative side of it.

To solve this problem, we can use the equation P = mgh, where P is the potential energy, m is the mass of the water, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height difference between the two reservoirs.

In this case, we are looking for the increase in specific potential energy, which is the potential energy per unit mass. So we can rewrite the equation as ΔP/Δm = gh, where ΔP is the change in potential energy and Δm is the change in mass.

To find the change in mass, we can use the density of water (1000 kg/m^3) and the volume of water that was pumped from the first reservoir to the second reservoir. We know that the volume of water is the same in both reservoirs, so we can use the formula for volume of a cylinder (V = πr^2h) to find the volume of water in the second reservoir. The radius (r) is not given, so we can assume it to be 1m for simplicity.

Therefore, the volume of water in the second reservoir is V = π(1m)^2(20m) = 20π m^3.

Now, we can calculate the change in mass:
Δm = density * change in volume = (1000 kg/m^3) * (20π m^3) = 20,000π kg.

Finally, we can plug in the values in the equation ΔP/Δm = gh to find the increase in specific potential energy:
ΔP/Δm = (9.8 m/s^2) * (100m) = 980 J/kg.

Therefore, the increase in specific potential energy of the water is 980 J/kg.

I hope this helps you understand the problem better. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best,

Related to Difference in Potential Energy between two Reservoirs

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or configuration. It is the energy that an object has when it is at rest, but has the potential to do work when it is in motion or released.

2. What is the difference in potential energy between two reservoirs?

The difference in potential energy between two reservoirs is the measure of the energy difference between the two reservoirs. It is the amount of energy that can be harnessed or converted from one form to another by moving an object from one reservoir to the other.

3. How is the difference in potential energy between two reservoirs calculated?

The difference in potential energy between two reservoirs is calculated by subtracting the potential energy of the lower reservoir from the potential energy of the higher reservoir. This calculation takes into account the mass, height, and acceleration due to gravity of the object being moved between the two reservoirs.

4. What factors affect the difference in potential energy between two reservoirs?

The difference in potential energy between two reservoirs is affected by the mass of the object being moved, the height difference between the two reservoirs, and the acceleration due to gravity. The greater the mass and height difference, the greater the potential energy difference will be.

5. How is the difference in potential energy between two reservoirs useful in energy systems?

The difference in potential energy between two reservoirs is useful in energy systems because it can be harnessed and converted into other forms of energy, such as electrical energy. This conversion can be used to power machines, vehicles, and other devices that require energy to function.