Differences between Centre of Gravity and Centre of Mass

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of center of gravity and center of mass. While they are often used interchangeably, they are distinct in that the center of mass is a mass-weighted average of position while the center of gravity is a weight-force-weighted average of position, taking into account variations in local "g" in different parts of an object. While the center of mass remains constant, the center of gravity can change due to changes in gravitational force. The conversation also provides an example of how the center of gravity can differ from the center of mass, such as in the case of the moon, where the far side experiences less gravitational force than the near side.
Shafia Zahin
Hello,
I need help in understanding the concept of centre of gravity and centre of mass.I really get confused in the two of these.It is written in books that the centre of gravity is never changed in an object,its position is constant.But as far as I know the position of an object determines the position of the centre of gravity.I don't know whether I'm telling it right or wrong but I need a very clear concept in this topic.Please help.
Shafia.

Physics news on Phys.org
They are often interchangeable [near a uniform gravitational field]... but they are distinct.
Center of mass is a mass-weighted average of position. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/cm.html
Center of gravity is a weight-force-weighted average of position... e.g. there may be variations in local "g" (i.e. a different value of g for each piece of mass).
For instance, if part of the object is further away from the center of the earth, then it will have a different "g" value than the others.

Thanks robphy. Something I'd never thought about.

So something like a very long space tether...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_tether
..could have the centre of mass and centre of gravity in slightly different places.

Thank you for your help.You took the trouble to reply this thread ,that's great.But actually these things have already been discussed in my book;but I just can't figure it out from these that what centre of mass or gravity actually is and why is it that they are unchangeable? It would be great if you could give me a detailed explanation about this.Still,thank you very much once again.:rolleyes:
With regards,
Shafia.

Consider two masses connected by a massless rigid rod.

##\frac{m_1r_1+m_2r_2}{m_1+m_2}\neq \frac{m_1g_1r_1+m_2g_2r_2}{m_1g_1+m_2g_2}=\frac{\left(\frac{GMm_1}{(R+r_1)^2}\right)r_1+\left(\frac{GMm_2}{(R+r_2)^2}\right)r_2}{\left(\frac{GMm_1}{(R+r_1)^2}\right)+\left(\frac{GMm_2}{(R+r_2)^2}\right)}##

As long as the object is rigid (i.e. two masses keep the same separation: ##|\vec r_2-\vec r_1|## is constant),
the center of mass is still in the same location relative to the two objects---you can mark an X on that spot.
However, if "the local values of g for each mass" change as the rigid object is moved, the center of gravity can move.
For example, if you rotate this rigid object so that ##r_1\neq r_2## (i.e. one higher above the Earth than the other), the center of gravity is different from the center of mass.

(In my example, I assumed the weight forces are in the same direction. I presume there will be some complications for non-parallel forces.)

Likes Shafia Zahin
Center of Gravity (CG ) : resulting from the application point of the forces of gravity acting on each particle of a system. the point of application of the weight force of a body.
center of mass ( CM): point where one can admit that the mass is concentrated .
In the uniform gravitational field center of gravity coincides with the center of mass

Likes Shafia Zahin
Centroid

Perhaps an example. The far side of the moon is about 1% further away from the Earth than the near side. Due to the 1/R^2 form of gravity, particles on the near side of the moon are attracted to the Earth with around 2% more force than similar particles on the far side of the moon. Assume the moon is a uniform sphere (it's not at all, but just go with me here). If you sum up the locations of all of the material weighted by the mass of each piece the resulting center of mass would be right in the center of the sphere. If instead you want to know the center of action of the force you would add up all of the locations weighted by the force of gravity each experiences. Because the pieces on the near side feel more gravitational force the resulting center of gravity would be biased away from the center toward the earth.

What is the difference between centre of gravity and centre of mass?

The centre of gravity is the point at which the weight of an object can be considered to act. The centre of mass is the point at which the mass of an object can be considered to be concentrated. While these two points may coincide in some cases, they can also differ depending on the distribution of weight and mass within an object.

How are centre of gravity and centre of mass calculated?

The centre of gravity can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the individual points of an object. The centre of mass can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the individual masses of an object. Both calculations take into account the location and amount of weight or mass in each component of the object.

Can the centre of gravity and centre of mass change?

Yes, the centre of gravity and centre of mass of an object can change depending on the distribution of weight or mass within the object. For example, if an object has a shifting weight or mass, its centre of gravity and centre of mass will also shift accordingly.

What are some practical applications of understanding the difference between centre of gravity and centre of mass?

Understanding the difference between centre of gravity and centre of mass is important in many fields, such as engineering, physics, and sports. It helps in designing and balancing structures and machines, predicting the movement of objects, and improving athletic performance.

Is the centre of gravity always located within an object?

No, the centre of gravity can be located both within and outside of an object. In fact, for some irregularly shaped objects, the centre of gravity may be located outside of the physical boundaries of the object. This is because the centre of gravity is determined by the distribution of weight, not the physical shape of an object.