Different results with Explicit method and Implicit method

In summary, the conversation discusses a simulation of a tungsten needle tip indenting on an aluminum layer using the ANSYS software. The goal is to obtain the same results with both the implicit and explicit modules. The process is slow and the kinetic energy is negligible, with most deformation being plastic. Results show that when using large strain hardenings, the results are the same, but when using small strain hardenings, there are significant differences between the two modules. The question is whether this difference is due to physics or can be fixed by tuning parameters. Some ideas are proposed, such as the difference in plastic and elastic wave speed, but changing parameters does not have an impact on the results. The total time of the simulation is 1
Angel Ochoa
Hello everybody,

I´m simulating a problem of indentation of a tungsten needle tip on an aluminum layer. Before I was using just the module "Static Structural" from ANSYS, which is based on an implicit solver. Now I wanted to do the same simulation with the module "Explicit Dynamics" of ANSYS, performing a quasi-static simulation. So my aim is to obtain the same results with both modules.

The process is rather slow and I have checked that the kinetic energy is negligible (<<5%). Most deformation is plastic. I have tried different stress-strain curves for the aluminum, changing the strain hardening during the plastic deformation.

Results:
1- When using large strain hardenings I get the same results from both modules, which I expected.

2- HOWEVER, when using small strain hardenings, the results differ a lot between both modules. This is to say: the more plastic I do the aluminum, the higher the differences in the results between both modules.

Question:

Is this something due to the physics or could I "fix" this difference by tunning the parameters in the explicit module?

Some ideas:

I know that the plastic waves travel slower than the elastic ones. The lower the hardening, the slower the plastic wave is. Maybe this is the reason for the observed results.

I have already changed many parameters (time step size, mass scaling, damping factor and loading rate) and they do not have influence in the observed behavior for lower strain hardening.
------------------
I would appreciate a lot any idea or reference in relation to this.

Best regards!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are your simulations dynamic (e.x. applying the indentation over a time of 5 seconds)? I assume the answer is yes, in which case perhaps the timestep you're using for implicit is too large, which is causing error in your results. I'm not that familiar with ANSYS, but usually software with explicit dynamics capability will choose a stable timestep for you, and accuracy is guaranteed. So if your solutions are different, then the implicit solution is probably wrong. What is the total time of your simulation (e.x. 5 seconds) and what is the computational cost you're seeing when doing implicit vs. explicit (e.x. implicit 20min vs. explicit 3hrs)?

I've done plenty of quasi-static simulations using both implicit and explicit (LS-DYNA) and often assume elastic-perfectly-plastic material behavior. I've never seen any significant difference in the solution, but I use a very small timestep when doing implicit. For simulations slower than a second or so (i.e. "quasi-static") implicit is still much more computationally cheap for me.

Dear afreiden,

thanks a lot for your response.

The simulations are actually quasi-static. The indentation is applied over 1 second, but the elements are so small that their inertial effects can be neglected ( I have already checked this and it is widely proven also in literature). In addition, if I apply high strain hardenings the results are identical between both problems. The differences in the results arise when I reduce the strain hardening of the models.

Regarding the implicit model, I am quite confident I am using steps that are small enough, because I have also tried to variate their size.

The question is, why do I only observe differences in the results when "increasing" the plasticity of the material (and the differences increase proportionally with the decrease in the strain hardening)?

Best regards. I appreciate all your answers.

1. What is the difference between Explicit and Implicit methods in scientific research?

The main difference between Explicit and Implicit methods is the way in which they handle uncertainty and assumptions. Explicit methods make all assumptions explicit and try to minimize uncertainty, while Implicit methods use assumptions and uncertainty as part of the research process.

2. Which method is more accurate for obtaining results in scientific experiments?

Both Explicit and Implicit methods have their own advantages and disadvantages in terms of accuracy. Explicit methods are more accurate when all assumptions are known and uncertainty is minimized, while Implicit methods can handle more complex and uncertain scenarios but may have less accuracy due to the use of assumptions.

3. Can both Explicit and Implicit methods be used in the same scientific study?

Yes, it is possible to use both Explicit and Implicit methods in the same study. In fact, many researchers use a combination of both methods to get a more comprehensive understanding of the phenomenon being studied.

4. What are the primary considerations when choosing between Explicit and Implicit methods in scientific research?

The primary considerations when choosing between Explicit and Implicit methods are the level of uncertainty and complexity involved in the research, the availability of data and information, and the research goals and objectives. It is important to carefully consider these factors before deciding on the most suitable method for a particular study.

5. Are there any ethical implications to using Explicit or Implicit methods in scientific research?

There are no specific ethical implications associated with the use of Explicit or Implicit methods in scientific research. However, it is important for researchers to be transparent about their methods and assumptions, and to ensure that their research is conducted in an ethical and responsible manner.