Different Sign Conventions used with Kirchhoff's Law?

In summary, there are two different sign conventions for Kirchhoff's law, one being the standard convention and the other being the flipped convention. Both conventions can produce the same solutions, but the important thing is to be consistent when using one convention throughout a problem. There is no right or wrong convention, it is just a matter of preference. However, it is important to be aware of which convention is being used, as using the wrong convention can lead to incorrect answers. It may be useful to communicate with your teacher or instructor to clarify which convention they prefer and if you are being marked down for not using their convention. Ultimately, the key is to be consistent and double-check your solutions to ensure they are correct.
bagasme
TL;DR Summary
Standard or Flipped One?
Hello,

As far as I know, the standard sign convention for Kirchhoff's law are:
  • For resistor: the potential difference (voltage) is negative if the chosen loop direction is the same as chosen current direction through the resistor, positive otherwise.
  • For battery: the voltage is positive if the chosen loop direction is from negative toward positive terminal, positive otherwise.
But in high school, I'd been taught different, flipped convention:
  • For resistor: the voltage is positive if the chosen loop direction is the same as chosen current direction through the resistor, negative otherwise.
  • For battery: the voltage is negative if the chosen loop direction is from negative toward positive terminal, positive otherwise.
To demonstrate effects of different sign conventions above, I attached sample problem
from this homework forum. The problem image:

1577530973391.png

By standard sign convention, the equations are:

$$\begin{align}
I_1 + I_2 &= I_3 \nonumber \\
6 - 3I_1 - 3I_3 &=0 \nonumber \\
6 - 6I_2 - 3I_3 &=0 \nonumber
\end{align}$$

Solving the equation, we have ##I_1 = \frac 4 5 A, I_2 = \frac 2 5 A, I_3 = \frac 6 5 A##.

By flipped sign convention, the equations are:
$$\begin{align}
I_1 + I_2 &= I_3 \nonumber \\
-6 + 3I_1 - 3I_3 &= 0 \nonumber \\
-6 + 6I_2 + 3I_3 &= 0 \nonumber
\end{align}$$

Solving the equation, we have same solutions as above with standard convention.

I have questions:
  1. In what cases both sign conventions produce same solutions, and in what cases different solutions are produced?
  2. Which convention is right, the standard or the flipped one?
Regards, Bagas

Physics news on Phys.org
bagasme said:
Summary:: Standard or Flipped One?

Which convention is right, the standard or the flipped one?
They are conventions. There is no right or wrong involved. Either works, you just need to be consistent. The only time you will have a problem is if you switch conventions in the middle of a problem.

Likes vanhees71 and berkeman
Dale said:
They are conventions. There is no right or wrong involved. Either works, you just need to be consistent. The only time you will have a problem is if you switch conventions in the middle of a problem.

Hmm...

Are there cases when those conventions produce different results, assuming that there aren't any calculation errors?

This could happen because in my high school, when doing Kirchhoff's Law problems, most of my answers are invalidated only for using standard convention one instead of the flipped one.

bagasme said:
Are there cases when those conventions produce different results, assuming that there aren't any calculation errors?
No
bagasme said:
This could happen because in my high school, when doing Kirchhoff's Law problems, most of my answers are invalidated only for using standard convention one instead of the flipped one.
Then you were consistently making some other mistake also.

bagasme said:
If you are having trouble in school, the problem may be that your working is "wrong" because the sign convention is opposite, rather than because your answers are wrong. Just use their convention - getting used to odd sign conventions is an important part of the "school of hard knocks" bit of physics education.

However, I note that the equations you present in your OP appear to have a sign error. Are you sure you aren't just making mistakes?

Ibix said:
If you are having trouble in school, the problem may be that your working is "wrong" because the sign convention is opposite, rather than because your answers are wrong. Just use their convention - getting used to odd sign conventions is an important part of the "school of hard knocks" bit of physics education.

However, I note that the equations you present in your OP appear to have a sign error. Are you sure you aren't just making mistakes?

But @Dale said that either conventions works as long as consistent, and always double-check my solution and compare it to other one.

Personally, I'd rather follow conventions on my textbook (I use book by Giancoli) than on book supplied by the high school.

Sorry for the typo/sign error from second equation from "flipped" convention one. What I mean is ##-6 + 3I_1 + 3I_3 = 0 ##.

bagasme said:
But @Dale said that either conventions works as long as consistent, and always double-check my solution and compare it to other one.
I agree with Dale. I'm just suggesting that you may be being marked down for not using your school's chosen convention, right answer or not. In that case switching conventions is the easy solution - and a useful skill, since this is very far from the only sign convention issue in physics.

So I'd suggest talking to whoever marks your work and asking for feedback around a question of this type. See if you can find out if you are being marked down because you aren't using their convention (some marking schemes are very restrictive, for good reasons and bad). Then you can decide if you want to flip convention, persuade them to allow different conventions, or if there's some other issue.

Likes Dale
Kirchhoff's Law is nothing else than the integral form of Farday's Law. If all parts of the circuit are at rest, it reads
$$\int_{\partial A} \mathrm{d} \vec{r} \cdot \vec{E}=-\frac{1}{c} \mathrm{d}_t \int_A \mathrm{d}^2 \vec{f} \cdot \vec{B}=-\frac{1}{c} \mathrm{d}_t \Phi_{\vec{B},A},$$
where one takes ##\partial A## as a closed path usually going along the wires and circuit elements (resistors, capacitances, inductances, batteries,...) and ##A## is an area with the integration path ##\partial A## its boundary. The signs have to be carefully determined according to the right-hand rule, i.e., given a direction of the line integral along ##\partial A## the direction of the surface-normal vectors ##\mathrm{d}^2 \vec{f}## are determined by the right-hand rule (thumb of the right hand along ##\partial A##, fingers along ##\mathrm{d}^2 \vec{f}##. It's of course completely arbitrary in which direction you let ##\partial A## be oriented. Important is only the correct relative orientation of ##\mathrm{d} \vec{r}## along ##\partial A## and ##\mathrm{d}^2 \vec{f}## along ##A##, which is determined by the right-hand rule as described.

Likes weirdoguy

1. What is Kirchhoff's Law?

Kirchhoff's Law, also known as Kirchhoff's Circuit Law, is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis that states that the sum of currents entering a node (or junction) in a circuit must equal the sum of currents leaving that node. It is based on the principle of conservation of charge.

2. What is the purpose of using different sign conventions with Kirchhoff's Law?

The purpose of using different sign conventions is to simplify the application of Kirchhoff's Law to different types of circuits. By using specific sign conventions, the equations for Kirchhoff's Law can be written in a consistent and concise manner, making it easier to solve complex circuits.

3. What are the two different sign conventions used with Kirchhoff's Law?

The two different sign conventions used with Kirchhoff's Law are the passive sign convention and the active sign convention. The passive sign convention is used for circuits with passive elements, such as resistors, and the active sign convention is used for circuits with active elements, such as voltage sources and current sources.

4. How do the sign conventions affect the application of Kirchhoff's Law?

The sign conventions affect the application of Kirchhoff's Law by determining the direction and polarity of the currents and voltages in the circuit. This affects the signs used in the equations for Kirchhoff's Law, which in turn affects the final solution for the circuit.

5. How do I know which sign convention to use for a specific circuit?

The sign convention to use for a specific circuit depends on the type of elements present in the circuit. If the circuit contains passive elements, use the passive sign convention. If the circuit contains active elements, use the active sign convention. It is important to be consistent with the sign convention used throughout the analysis of the circuit.