Different states of Nut & Bolt

In summary: When the nut and bolt are not connected, you have two volumes with the topology of a 3-ball (the bolt). And if you considered them mathematically connected when the nut is screwed on, you then only have one volume with the topology of a 3-ball.
werunom
On one side I have [state1] a nut and a bolt, side by side. On the other side, [state2] a nut fastened over a bolt. What is the difference between these two matter concentrations?

Of course, some energy has to be spent to fasten the nut. But it is not the process and the energy to bring about the process I am talking about; I am just comparing one volume in space where the nut is beside the bolt and another volume where nut is fastened over the bolt.

So, considering the nuts and the bolts on either side as matter concentrations formed out of fundamental particles,
> what could be the difference [as in energy, etc.] when I compare these two volumes of matter in space?
> That is, how and in what sense does the volume consisting of the nut fastened over the bolt differs from the other?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
why would the volumes be different?

No No. I didnt mean to convey that. Excuse.

By stating "Two volumes of matter in space" I just meant to convey the "block" or "part" of space which contains the nut and the bolt.

"I am just comparing one volume in space where the nut is beside the bolt and another volume where nut is fastened over the bolt" - In this sentence, 'volume' does NOT mean as "volume of the cube", but is used in general sense of that part of the space which is cordoned, consists of, contains, etc.

An interesting mathematical difference is the topological difference of the occupied spaces in each case:

When the nut and bolt are not connected, your have one volume with the topology of a 3-ball (the bolt), and one equivalent to a 3-torus (the nut).

If you considered them mathematically connected when the nut is screwed on, you then only have one volume with the topology of a 3-ball.

But this is not really relevant for questions about physical properties such as energy.

For energy consideration, you have to have a detailed model for the interaction (e.g. electromagnetic and gravitational) between the two parts.

Thanks for your reply.
As you pointed out, yes... there would be topological difference. But I was not looking for that difference.

Any idea on how to model these two states? Of course, I am not asking for the entire step-by-step procedure, but something to start with. From there, I till try to carry on.

Related to Different states of Nut & Bolt

1. What are the different states of a nut and bolt?

The different states of a nut and bolt refer to the physical conditions or stages of assembly that they can be in. The main states are loose, snug, and tight.

2. How do I determine the correct state for a nut and bolt?

The correct state for a nut and bolt depends on the specific application and the amount of tension needed for the joint. It is important to consult manufacturer specifications or engineering guidelines to determine the appropriate state for a specific nut and bolt.

3. What is the purpose of each state of a nut and bolt?

The loose state allows for easy insertion and alignment of the bolt, the snug state provides some resistance and allows for joint movement, and the tight state creates a secure and stable joint.

4. Can I reuse a nut and bolt in different states?

It is generally not recommended to reuse a nut and bolt in different states. Each time the joint is disassembled and reassembled, the bolt may lose some of its elasticity and may not provide the same level of tension as before.

5. What are the consequences of using the wrong state for a nut and bolt?

Using the wrong state for a nut and bolt can result in a joint that is too loose, causing it to come apart, or too tight, causing damage to the bolt or surrounding materials. It is important to use the correct state to ensure the safety and integrity of the joint.