Different subsidiary notes with varying amplitudes

In summary: The difference in plucking of the string - the difference in the shape of the string just before letting it go - leads to different harmonics (quality). If the string is plucked near the middle of the string, it will excite different frequencies than if plucked nearer one end. Also, if it is plucked with a soft finger, it sounds different than if plucked with a pick - because the different plucking techniques create different shapes (hence different harmonics). This is easy to show using Fourier analysis.
ritwik06

Homework Statement

1. Two identical guitars are played by two persons to give notes of the same pitch. Will they differ in quality? Give a reason.

2. How do you account for the fact that 2 string instruments can be used to give notes of the same pitch and loudness but different quality?

The Attempt at a Solution

I thin the answer for both questions is that they have different subsidiary notes with varying amplitudes. They have different wave forms. Isnt it?

Physics news on Phys.org
ritwik06 said:

Homework Statement

1. Two identical guitars are played by two persons to give notes of the same pitch. Will they differ in quality? Give a reason.

2. How do you account for the fact that 2 string instruments can be used to give notes of the same pitch and loudness but different quality?

The Attempt at a Solution

I thin the answer for both questions is that they have different subsidiary notes with varying amplitudes. They have different wave forms. Isnt it?
What factor determines the quality of the sound produced by the vibrating string?

What is it about plucking a guitar string that determines which of these frequencies are exited and in what proportion? Think of the shape of the string just before it is released and think of Fourier analysis of that shape.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
What factor determines the quality of the sound produced by the vibrating string?

I have already trold that in my answer.
Andrew Mason said:
What is it about plucking a guitar string that determines which of these frequencies are exited and in what proportion? Think of the shape of the string just before it is released and think of Fourier analysis of that shape.

AM

I don't think much detail is there in our course about it. Will youlease help me with a simpler answer?

ritwik06 said:
I have already trold that in my answer.
I am not sure what you mean by subsidiary tones. Quality is determined by harmonics (or overtones, or harmonic frequencies). The quality of the sound depends on the number and respective amplitudes of the higher harmonic frequencies.

I don't think much detail is there in our course about it. Will youlease help me with a simpler answer?
The difference in plucking of the string - the difference in the shape of the string just before letting it go - leads to different harmonics (quality). If the string is plucked near the middle of the string, it will excite different frequencies than if plucked nearer one end. Also, if it is plucked with a soft finger, it sounds different than if plucked with a pick - because the different plucking techniques create different shapes (hence different harmonics). This is easy to show using Fourier analysis.

AM

Related to Different subsidiary notes with varying amplitudes

1. What is the significance of having different subsidiary notes with varying amplitudes?

The varying amplitudes in subsidiary notes, also known as overtones, affect the overall quality and richness of a sound. They help create harmonics and add depth to the sound produced by an instrument or voice.

2. How are different subsidiary notes with varying amplitudes produced?

Subsidiary notes are produced when an instrument or voice creates multiple vibrations at different frequencies, in addition to the main fundamental frequency. These vibrations are called overtones and are produced due to the unique shape and materials of each instrument.

3. Can the amplitudes of subsidiary notes be controlled?

Yes, the amplitudes of subsidiary notes can be controlled by adjusting the intensity or force with which an instrument is played or the volume and placement of a microphone for recorded sounds. The material and shape of an instrument can also affect the amplitudes of its subsidiary notes.

4. How do different subsidiary notes with varying amplitudes affect the perception of sound?

The presence and intensity of subsidiary notes can greatly affect the perceived quality, richness, and depth of a sound. They can also alter the mood and emotion conveyed by a piece of music or speech.

5. Are subsidiary notes with varying amplitudes unique to certain types of instruments or voices?

Yes, the production and presence of subsidiary notes can vary greatly depending on the type of instrument or voice. For example, string instruments such as guitars and violins produce more pronounced and controllable overtones compared to wind instruments like flutes or human voices.