Different types of movement force

In summary, the conversation discusses the different types of forces involved in hitting a ball in tennis and their effects on the ball's velocity and momentum. These include linear forces, which change the ball's linear velocity and momentum, and torque, which changes its angular velocity and momentum. The conversation also mentions resources for further information on these concepts.
Qball4015
Hi, I am a tennis coach and not very sciency, so if there's a simple answer to this question rather than a crazy physics answer it would be much appreciated.

I hit the ball, some of the energy from my racket "pushes" thru the ball creating momentum, another part of the energy from my racket "brushes" around the ball creating spin.

Are there 2 different names for these kinds of force and what are they?

So for instace rather than saying " put more spin on the ball. " i could say "increase the ... " or something like that

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
perfect! thanks mate!

1. What are the different types of forces that cause movement?

There are four main types of forces that can cause movement: gravitational force, electromagnetic force, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force.

2. How does gravitational force affect movement?

Gravitational force is the force of attraction between two objects with mass. It causes objects to move towards each other. For example, the gravitational force between the Earth and the Moon causes the Moon to orbit around the Earth.

3. What is the difference between contact and non-contact forces?

Contact forces are forces that require physical contact between two objects, such as pushing a book across a table. Non-contact forces, on the other hand, can act at a distance, such as the electromagnetic force between a magnet and a paperclip.

4. How does the direction of a force affect movement?

The direction of a force determines the direction in which an object will move. For example, if a force is applied in the same direction as an object is already moving, it will speed up. However, if the force is applied in the opposite direction, it will slow down.

5. Can multiple forces act on an object at the same time?

Yes, multiple forces can act on an object at the same time. When this happens, the forces can either work together to cause movement in the same direction, or they can cancel each other out and result in no movement.