Differential 1 form on line

In summary, The problem requires showing that every differential 1-form on a line is the differential of some function. The differential of any function is defined as $$df_{x}(\psi): TM_{x} \rightarrow R$$. A general differential 1-form is of the form ##\omega = g(x) dx##, and the objective is to find a function ##G(x)## such that ##\omega = dG##. This involves integrating, but requesting a solution would violate the forum rules.
Abhishek11235

Homework Statement

This problem is from V.I Arnold's book Mathematics of Classical Mechanics.
Q) Show that every differential 1-form on line is differential of some function

Homework Equations

The differential of any function is
$$df_{x}(\psi): TM_{x} \rightarrow R$$

The Attempt at a Solution

The tangent to line is line itself. The differential 1-form is ##dy-dx=0##. Here I am struct. I don't know how to find out the differential. Can anyone help?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-02-01-20-59-12.png
    Screenshot_2019-02-01-20-59-12.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 244
Physics news on Phys.org
Abhishek11235 said:
The tangent to line is line itself.
No.

Abhishek11235 said:
The differential 1-form is dy−dx=0dy−dx=0dy-dx=0.
No. A general differential 1-form is of the form ##\omega = g(x) dx##. You have to show that there exists a function ##G(x)## such that ##\omega = dG##.

Orodruin said:
No.No. A general differential 1-form is of the form ##\omega = g(x) dx##. You have to show that there exists a function ##G(x)## such that ##\omega = dG##.

That means I have to integrate. Can you provide me solution?

Abhishek11235 said:
Can you provide me solution?
That would violate the forum rules, which you would realize if you had bothered reading them.

1. What is a differential 1 form on line?

A differential 1 form on line is a mathematical concept used in differential geometry and multivariable calculus. It is a mathematical object that assigns a value to each point on a line, representing the slope of the tangent line at that point. It is a useful tool for studying curves and surfaces in higher dimensions.

2. How is a differential 1 form on line different from a regular 1-form?

A differential 1 form on line is a special case of a regular 1-form, which is a mathematical object that assigns a value to each point in a vector space. The main difference is that a differential 1 form on line only operates on points along a line, while a regular 1-form can operate on points in any vector space.

3. What is the purpose of using differential 1 forms on lines?

Differential 1 forms on lines are useful for studying curves and surfaces in higher dimensions. They allow for the calculation of tangent vectors, which can provide information about the shape and behavior of a curve or surface at a specific point. They are also used in the study of vector fields and integration on curves.

4. How are differential 1 forms on lines used in physics?

In physics, differential 1 forms on lines are used in the study of fields, such as electric and magnetic fields. They can be used to calculate the work done by a force along a curve, or the flux of a field through a surface. They are also important in the study of fluid flow and thermodynamics.

5. Are there any real-world applications of differential 1 forms on lines?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of differential 1 forms on lines. They are used in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics to model and analyze curves and surfaces. They are also used in economics and finance to study risk and optimization. Additionally, they have applications in computer science, particularly in the field of computational geometry.