Differential equation (cannot separate)

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for y using the substitution method, but the equations become difficult to integrate. The suggestion is to use an integrating factor to simplify the equation.
Name15

Homework Statement

Solve for y using the substitution: z = 1/(y^5)
dy/dx + y/x = (y^6)(x^3)

Homework Equations

(dz/dx) = (dz/dy) x (dy/dx)

The Attempt at a Solution

I formed an equation for dz/dx but cannot separate the variables in order to integrate. Can someone tell me where I've gone wrong please.

Attachments

• ATTEMPT diff. eq..jpg
    ATTEMPT diff. eq..jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 444
Physics news on Phys.org
If you rearrange your second to last step you have z' + P(x)z = Q(x).
Is all you've done in class is separable diff eq.'s?

oh, I am unfamiliar with this format. Would you mind nudging me in the right direction please?

Name15 said:
oh, I am unfamiliar with this format. Would you mind nudging me in the right direction please?
Find an integrating factor that you can use to multiply both sides of the equation. After multiplication, the left side of the equation should look like the product rule has been used on some function.

Related to Differential equation (cannot separate)

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that involves an unknown function and its derivatives. It represents a relationship between the function and its derivatives, and is commonly used in many fields of science and mathematics to model natural phenomena.

What does it mean when a differential equation cannot be separated?

When a differential equation cannot be separated, it means that the independent variable and the dependent variable cannot be separated to either side of the equation. This makes it difficult to solve the equation using traditional methods and may require more advanced techniques.

Can a differential equation without separation be solved?

Yes, a differential equation without separation can still be solved using various methods such as numerical methods, power series, or Laplace transforms. These methods may require more advanced mathematical knowledge, but they can still provide a solution to the equation.

Why are differential equations important in science?

Differential equations are important in science because they allow us to model and understand complex systems and phenomena. They are used in physics, engineering, economics, and many other fields to describe the relationship between different variables and how they change over time.

What are some real-life applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have many real-life applications, including predicting population growth, modeling the spread of diseases, analyzing financial markets, and designing control systems for machines and vehicles. They are also used in physics to describe motion, in chemistry to study reaction rates, and in biology to understand biological processes.