Rowing a Boat Across a River - FODE Physics Problem

In summary, the student attempted to solve for the downstream distance the boat traveled altogether by using the above equation, but was having a difficult time doing so. He found that using a simpler equation and plugging in the values back into the equation yielded the correct answer.
Athenian
Homework Statement
A boater rows across a straight river of constant width ##w##, always heading (i.e., pointing the front of the boat) toward the position on the bank directly opposite the starting point. If the river flows with uniform speed ##v## and if the speed with which the boater can row is also ##v##, find the equation of the path of the boat. How far downstream does the boater finally land? [Hint: if ##x## is the cross-stream position of the boat and ##y## is its downstream position, find an expression for ##dy/dx##. Then solve for ##y(x)##.]

Afterward, please find the trajectory of the boat (##x## vs. ##y## or ##y## vs. ##x##) upon deriving the differential equation.
Relevant Equations
Refer Below ##\longrightarrow##
First off, to solve for this problem, I relied largely on my below drawn diagram. Forgive the poor work as this was done on a laptop.

FODE Diagram.png

Using the above image as reference, I came up with the below equations.

$$\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{sin \, \theta}{1- cos \, \theta}$$

where ##cos \, \theta = \frac{y}{\sqrt{(w-x)^2 + y^2}}## and ##sin \, \theta = \frac{w-x}{\sqrt{(w-x)^2 + y^2}}##.

Substituting the original value of ##sin \, \theta## and ##cos \, \theta## back into the first written equation, I get:

$$\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{w-x}{\sqrt{(w-x)^2 +y^2} -y}$$

Despite my best efforts to create a separable equation and ultimately solve for ##y## (i.e. the downstream distance the boat traveled altogether), I had an incredibly difficult time doing so.

After searching online, I did come across to this site where another user from ten years ago had nearly the same solution as I do (https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/row-boat-fode.379923/). However, this user did make an interesting substitution as seen below:

$$z = w- x$$
$$dz = -dx$$

From there, we can take those values and plug it back in where we last left off:
$$- \frac{dy}{dz} = \frac{z}{\sqrt{z^2 +y^2} - y}$$
$$\Rightarrow dy = \frac{-zdz}{\sqrt{z^2 +y^2} - y}$$

Despite having this simpler expression, though, I am still having a hard time solving for ##y##. Any help and guidance regarding my question here would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for reading through my question!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

$$\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{sin \, \theta}{1- cos \, \theta} $$

How did you derive that ? Your ##\theta## starts out at ##\pi/2## and gradually diminishes to ##0##.

What do you have for the velocities ?

Then from ##dy = v_y dt ## and ##dx = v_x dt\ ,\ \ ## you get ##\displaystyle {dy\over dx} ##

@BvU , thank you so much for the reply!

Admittingly, my derivation of ##\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{sin \, \theta}{1- cos \, \theta}## is based mostly out of "intuition" (if I could call it that).

Essentially, I reasoned that when the boat is just about to travel across the stream, the slope of the boat's path would be ##1## since both the boat is traveling at a speed of ##v## in the x-direction while the stream is traveling at that same speed in the ##y## direction.

Once the boat arrives at its destination, though, the boat will be pointing completely in the y-direction. In other words, to put my statement in a graph, it would essentially be an asymptote. Thus, to fulfill both these requirements of having a slope of ##1## in the beginning and having a slope of ##\infty## (or error) at the destination, I came up with ##\frac{dy}{dx} =\frac{sin \, \theta}{1- cos \, \theta}##. I suppose the fact that students in the same course seemingly reconfirmed my answer made me more confident in the solution.

Needless to say, the above approach should not be "correct". Therefore, per your instructions, I did go ahead and try to find for ##dy/dx## the correct way. Note that I am not 100% certain whether ##\frac{dy}{dx} =\frac{sin \, \theta}{1- cos \, \theta}## is technically correct or not.

Considering that ##v_x = \frac{dx}{dt}## and ##v_y = \frac{dy}{dt}## are components of ##v = \frac{dr}{dt}##, I came up with the below equation:

$$\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{\Big( v \, sin \, \theta \Big) dt}{\Big( v \, cos \, \theta \Big) dt}$$

First off, I am not even sure am I supposed to be approaching finding for ##v_x## and ##v_y## this way. However, assuming that my approach for the above equation is correct, how do I even simplify that?

Perhaps it's just me, but I feel like my thought process toward getting the algebraic expression for the velocity components is incorrect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Once again, thank you for your reply!

Athenian said:
Essentially, I reasoned that when the boat is just about to travel across the stream, the slope of the boat's path would be ##1## since both the boat is traveling at a speed of ##v## in the ##x##-direction while the stream is traveling at that same speed in the ##y##-direction.
Agreed. But not very helpful, since an inverse would satisfy the same condition :wink:.
Once the boat arrives at its destination, though, the boat will be pointing completely in the ##y##-direction. In other words, to put my statement in a graph, it would essentially be an asymptote.
That is kind of jumping to a conclusion. Yes, the boat will point completely in the ##y## direction. But no, ##y## at that point does not change any more (nor does ##x##). That is not a characteristic of an asymptote, but of a stationary point: in practice the journey comes to an end when one of the oars can't be lowered into the water any more. We need not be concerned about that kind of detail and just have to find the trajectory of the boat.

Athenian said:
I suppose the fact that students in the same course seemingly reconfirmed my answer
The internet is notoriously unreliable :rolleyes: ( and PF is on the internet :cool: )

For ##v_y## you write ##v\sin\theta## but the picture clearly shows that should be a cosine. And you omit the contribution from the river flowing (our coordinate system is land-based, isn't it ?) .

Athenian said:
I am not even sure am I supposed to be approaching finding for ##v_x## and ##v_y## this way
Admittedly, physicists are very casual about infinitesimals. One should take limits and distinguish pathologic exceptions etcetera, but usually one can bluntly simplify as if it were simple algebra, so:$$\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{\Big( v \, sin \, \theta \Big) dt}{\Big( v \, cos \, \theta \Big) dt}\ \ \Rightarrow \quad \frac{dy}{dx}=\tan\theta$$ (which, for reasons indicated above, is not the right equation :smile: ).

Look again at your sketch and see if you can find a sensible ##\frac{dy}{dx}## that you can convince yourself is correct.

Also look at the approach to ##\theta = 0## at the end and see ##\lim {dy\over dx}\ne\infty##. In other words: your curve isn't correct !
Which can be understood if you consider that an ever bigger fraction of ##v## from the river is counteracted when ##\theta\downarrow 0##.

Note:
If no one proves me wrong, we will have to exhume the old thread and put things right there ! But I'm right - he said confidently :nb) .

Likes Athenian
Wow, this was an incredibly informative explanation, @BvU . I really appreciate the effort gone into this to help me better understand what's going on with the physics and math for this question.

Anyway, below is my solution upon fixing some mistakes in my previous post as well as following according to your hints and guidelines.

Starting with correcting the obvious mistake 😅:
$$v_y = v \, cos \, \theta$$
$$v_x = v \, sin \, \theta$$

The above represents the velocity components of the boat. But, as you have mentioned, I have neglected the speed of the river which can be represented as ##v_y = v \, cos \, (0)## since it is following in one (downward) direction at ##\theta = 0##.

With this information, I can construct the following equation:
$$\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{(v \, cos \, \theta - v \, cos(0)) dt}{(v \, sin \, \theta)dt}$$
$$\Rightarrow \frac{v \, cos \, \theta - v \, cos(0)}{v \, sin \, \theta}$$
$$\Rightarrow \frac{v (cos \, \theta - cos(0))}{v \, sin \, \theta}$$
$$\Rightarrow \frac{cos \, \theta -1}{sin \, \theta}$$

I should also note that (as a personal review) the minus sign in the denominator is there simply because as the boat is traveling toward its destination, it is speeding against the river's downstream current.

As a bonus, I did graph out my equation on Wolfram|Alpha and it looks correct in my opinion. Please let me know what you think about my attempted solution. Thank you so much for your assistance!

FODE Project Graph.PNG

Assuming my solution thus far is correct, I decided to continue on with the problem. Plugging in the values quoted below:
Athenian said:
##cos \, \theta = \frac{y}{\sqrt{(w-x)^2 + y^2}}## and ##sin \, \theta = \frac{w-x}{\sqrt{(w-x)^2 + y^2}}##.

I can get:
$$\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{y- \sqrt{y^2 + (w-x)^2}}{w-x}$$

Next, my goal is to find the algebraic value for ##y## in order to determine "[h]ow far downstream does the boater finally land".

But, here's where my issue comes in. I just can't solve for ##y##. I did try what I attempted to do in my initial post where I substituted ##w-x## for one arbitrary value of ##z##. To accommodate the change, I also likewise made ##dz = -dx##. But, after spending some time thinking about it, I am harboring doubts for this solution method provided by the same user which I provided the URL for in my initial post.

In short, what would be the best, most efficient, and straightforward way to find ##y##?

Once again, thank you so much for your kind assistance. This has been both incredibly insightful and helpful! 🙂

Side Note: Assuming my equation for ##dy/dx## is correct, I think I can safely say that you can "exhume the old thread and put things right there". :)

Athenian said:
Assuming my solution thus far is correct
Not convinced yet :wink: ?

Athenian said:
I just can't solve for ##y##.
Tell you a secret: I can't either. I'm notoriously bad at differential equations. Cause is the availability of numerical solvers in combination with my laziness. So the temptation to skip the analytical attempt always wins :cry:.

I cheated two ways: Euler integration in excel and wolframalpha. try entering
dy/dx = (sqrt((1-x)^2+y^2)-y)/(1-x),y(0)=0
there and be surprised by the simple analytical solution !

(I had the river flowing in y+ direction)

Likes Athenian
Haha. I'm convinced now upon overcoming my overly-cautious tendencies.

Hmmm, admittingly, my professor has yet to go through Euler integration yet. But, thanks for providing the Wolfram|Alpha link as well as the "simply analytical solution". Nonetheless, I still need to figure out how to go about solving this messy equation step-by-step by using first-order differential equation methods ...
Well, I'll see what I can do. However, if anybody could provide a hint, I would greatly appreciate it!

Once again, thank you for all your help, BvU!

Athenian said:
$$\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{y- \sqrt{y^2 + (w-x)^2}}{w-x}$$
Switching x around, i.e. replacing x with w-x, that reduces to ##xy'^2+2yy'=x##
Reinstating theta as atan(y/x), I get ##(x\theta'+\sin(2\theta))^2=\cos^2(\theta)##, whence ##x\theta'+\sin(2\theta)=\pm\cos(\theta)##.
From there you can proceed to integration.

I end up with ##x^6=w^6(1+s)^3(1-s)(1+2s)^{-4}##, where ##s=\sin(\theta)## and initially x=w, s=0.
With a spreadsheet, I verified this matches the ODE.

Last edited:
Likes Athenian
Thank you very much for the help. This was incredibly insightful and I was able to learn quite a bit here.

1. How does the force of drag affect the rowing of a boat across a river?

The force of drag, also known as air resistance, can significantly impact the rowing of a boat across a river. As the boat moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion, making it harder to move forward. This force increases with the speed of the boat and the surface area of the boat that is exposed to the air. Therefore, a larger, faster-moving boat will experience more drag and require more force to row across the river.

2. What role does the force of gravity play in rowing a boat across a river?

The force of gravity plays a crucial role in rowing a boat across a river. Gravity is what keeps the boat from floating away and also helps to keep it stable in the water. When rowing, the force of gravity acts downward on the boat, providing a counterforce to the force of the oars pushing the boat forward. This allows the boat to move forward smoothly and efficiently.

3. How does the shape of the boat affect its ability to be rowed across a river?

The shape of the boat can greatly impact its ability to be rowed across a river. A boat with a streamlined shape will experience less drag and be able to move through the water more easily. On the other hand, a boat with a wider or more irregular shape will experience more drag and require more force to move through the water. Additionally, the shape of the boat can affect its stability and how easily it can be maneuvered while rowing.

4. What is the role of friction in rowing a boat across a river?

Friction plays a significant role in rowing a boat across a river. Friction is the force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact, such as the boat and the water. As the oars push against the water, friction between the oars and the water creates a resistance force that helps propel the boat forward. However, too much friction can make it harder to row the boat, so finding the right balance is important for efficient rowing.

5. How does the speed of the river current affect rowing a boat across a river?

The speed of the river current can greatly impact rowing a boat across a river. If the current is moving in the same direction as the boat, it can provide a helpful push and make rowing easier. However, if the current is moving in the opposite direction, it can create a resistance force that makes it more challenging to row. The speed of the current also affects the direction and angle at which the boat must be rowed in order to reach the desired destination.