Differential Equation: Check my work please

In summary: So instead of e^-x, try e^(-2x).In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem using the exact equation method and finding an implicit solution. There is also a discussion about finding a method to solve a different problem involving a linear equation. The solution is found by substituting u=y^2 and using e^(-2x) instead of e^-x. However, this solution does not work when substituted back into the original equation.
vipertongn
I just want someone to check my work this is the problem

(3x^2 − y)dx + (y − x)dy = 0

I'm going to use the exact equation method to solve it because it seems like the most practical method for the case...I was thinking substitution but the power is not the same for the highest one.

M=3x^2 − y
N =y − x

dM/dy= -1 = dN/dx

fx = 3x^2 - y dx
f = [tex]\int(3x^2 - y)dx[/tex] = x^3 - xy +h(y)
fy =S (y-x)dy = y^2/2 -xy + g(x)
h(y)= x^3+c
g(x)= y^2/2+c

Implicit solution is

x^3-xy+y^2/2 +c = 0 or xy-x^3-y^2/2 = c

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good. You can always check your answer by differentiating it and seeing if you get what you started with.

Thanks, now I'm trying to figure out a new problem (didn't want to make another post)
y'+y/2=x/2y.

I'm trying to figure out what would be a good method to solve this. Any suggestions? I ruled out exact. It looks like a linear equation kinda...but I'm not sure

Hint: Consider (y2)'.

wel i know i could have dy/dx = x-y^2/2y But I still don't know which method to solve this. if i try substitution it doesn't work...

Ok I tried this I substituted

u=y^2
du=2ydy

2ydy=(x-y^2)dx
du=(x-u)dx
du/dx+u=x
Makes a Linear Eq
p(x)=1
f(x)=x

e^integral(1)dx = e^x

e^x(u)=integral(e^x(x))dx
e^x(u)=e^x+e^x(x)+c
u=1+x+ce^-x
y^2=1+x+ce^-x
y=sqrt(1+x+ce^-x)

:D right?

Last edited:
Almost. It doesn't quite work when you substitute it back in the original equation.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves the use of derivatives to model and predict the behavior of systems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is the purpose of checking my work in differential equations?

Checking your work in differential equations is important to ensure that the solutions obtained are correct and accurate. It also helps to identify any mistakes made during the problem-solving process and allows for corrections to be made.

3. How do I check my work in differential equations?

To check your work in differential equations, you can compare your solutions with known solutions or use mathematical software to verify your results. You can also rework the problem using a different method to confirm your answer.

4. What are common mistakes made when solving differential equations?

Common mistakes made when solving differential equations include errors in algebra, differentiation, and integration. It is also important to be careful with sign errors and to check the validity of the solutions obtained.

5. Are there any tips for solving differential equations?

Some tips for solving differential equations include understanding the problem, using appropriate methods, and checking your work. It is also helpful to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with common types of differential equations and their solutions.